Liam Cunningham: Upcoming scene is more shocking than Red Wedding

Chilli

Shireen bar-b-q, no doubt.

That's why HBO made sure to rub our noses in the fact that she HAD to come. That's why she's all cute and adorable with after school teaching adult wildligns to read program. That's why we get the Lifetime movie moment of her and Stannis together. That's why it's 'Davos' who is the one telling us 'oh there's some f@cked-up sh!t about to happen'. It's also why he's comparing it to the RW: we haven't had anything like that for a while, and it was fantastic for ratings. I think more journalist wrote about the RW then the semi-official Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

All that happens precisely because she's going to die, and it will of course be the second to last episode. It's not like she's going to die from chicken pox or ebola. It's going to be a Shireen bar-b-q that everyone talks and writes about which will all but guarantee a viewing bump for the following two, last two, seasons.

Hmmm. But now the question is, will it surpass Walking Dead's "The Grove" episode of shock???

I can't what happens to Jon in the books happen in the show, specially since the season 5 trailer puts him at the battle of Hardhome.

They could save it for next season.Well,Hardhome will probably be episode 8(David Nutter is director for ep 9,10 and he wasn't seen in "A day in the life video" in Hardhome part) and ep.10 could be "For The Watch".It's not that impossible or maybe it could happen even in Hardhome itself,but more likely it will be at CB just like in the books.

I've read through these forums for 4 years - picked up the books and the show right after season 1. I've never put a crackpot theory out there but something about this thread is bugging me and getting me off kilter. What if Mel takes an interest / beleif in Jon? And thinks HE is TPTWP / AAR? Does Stannis become the sacrifice / king's blood to resurrect Jon? That would be one hell of a sacrifice that would get a reaction out of Selyse. And you would accomplish it without all the warging discussion which has really been limited to Bran for the show...

I read that the wilding Varamyr was cast and has been in the background of at least two episodes so far. In the books his only purpose was to introduce Jon to the warg stuff and foreshadow Jon going into Ghost after the stabbing.

My Sansa theory is a little out there but

I'd had the theory that if Sansa did marry Ramsay, that Roose would recognize her as Sansa and claim lord's right (that would be pretty fucked up and twisty) but I don't see Sansa killing the Boltons. At least in season 5. Roose is a manipulator, I could see him convincing Sansa that despite Robb being her brother killing him was the best move for the northmen. Robb was just keeping them locked in a war they can't win and if it hadn't been him another northern lord would have done the same. What he did was ultimately best for the north. Then, Sansa has to participate in flaying someone, maybe Brienne, Podrick, or Myranda.

• 1 month later...

So what do you guys think?

Was the Shireen burning scene more shocking than the red wedding?

I personally think so.

It wasn't as shocking because there were threads here saying "How will you react when it happens" but it was much harder to watch.

It wasn't as shocking because there were threads here saying "How will you react when it happens" but it was much harder to watch.

A little kid getting burnt alive is 10000X more painful and sad than 50 innocent adults.

I don't think it was shocking, though it depends how you interpret the word. The Red Wedding was "shocking" mainly because it was unexpected. Nobody saw anything like that happening and it had massive consequences. Shireen burning on the other hand was very predictable. It had already been explicitly stated as a possibility, and it was almost too obvious when Stannis sent Davos away. It was "shocking" in the sense of being emotionally and viscerally distressing, but that's a very different thing.

So what do you guys think?

Was the Shireen burning scene more shocking than the red wedding?

I personally think so.

Why? What was so shocking about it?

1. Shireen is a minor character at best.

2. We don't actually see her burning or get an aftershot of her corpse.

3. It's been coming for quite some time.

Now compare this to season 2 where we see the gruesome charred remains of children we're led to believe are very important characters. If that scene didn't shock TV viewers as much as the Red Wedding, then the scene with Shireen shouldn't be anywhere close.

I think Liam Cunningham wasn't talking about the burning of Shireen. Of course he knew it was going to happen, but he probably wasn't on set when that scene was shot. He must likely was talking about a scene in where his character was present -- and we know that Davos was sent to the Wall in order to have a meeting with Jon Snow, so I assume that Cunningham was talking about FTW.

I think Liam Cunningham wasn't talking about the burning of Shireen. Of course he knew it was going to happen, but he probably wasn't on set when that scene was shot. He must likely was talking about a scene in where his character was present -- and we know that Davos was sent to the Wall in order to have a meeting with Jon Snow, so I assume that Cunningham was talking about FTW.

FTW is not more shocking than Red Wedding.Unless Tormund, Edd, Ghost, Wun Wun and other wildlings will all be slaughtered. Something tells me that Jon will not be the only casualty.

I just hope that we will see the aftermath of FTW.I would hate to wait another 9 months to find out.

Archived