Samwel and Gilly and the Nights Watch

Eric_20

Forgive me if this sounds dumb, I may have overlooked it, but why Isn't Sam not being accused of breaking his vows, he has a wilding girl Gilly. Even though she is not his or married to him nor the suspcion that the child is his. yet when Jon Snow admits he was with Ygritte, everyone hates him at least Allister Thorne and Janos Slynt.

Am i missing something?

You're missing the fact that nobody from the watch knows. Aemon is dead, and the singer (name escapes me) is much worse (and later, dead). The crew of the ship is summer islanders who are much more sensible about the whole thing, so they don't mind, and in Braavos who's going to complain?

You're missing the fact that nobody from the watch knows. Aemon is dead, and the singer (name escapes me) is much worse (and later, dead). The crew of the ship is summer islanders who are much more sensible about the whole thing, so they don't mind, and in Braavos who's going to complain?

His name was Dareon...

Forgive me if this sounds dumb, I may have overlooked it, but why Isn't Sam not being accused of breaking his vows, he has a wilding girl Gilly. Even though she is not his or married to him nor the suspcion that the child is his. yet when Jon Snow admits he was with Ygritte, everyone hates him at least Allister Thorne and Janos Slynt.

Am i missing something?

In addition to comments up thread I also think it's because Thorne and Slynt didn't see Samwell as a threat. In reality they had no proof of either sleeping with a wilding but press it more with Jon because they think he has a chance to challenge some if their newly acquired power. When in reality the irony is it was Sam who challenged their grasp for power on behalf of Jon. Plus they never really liked Jon from the beginning.

Before AAFC, Samwel never slept with Gilly. He was only protecting her. Everyone knew the babe was Craster's. Many Brothers went with whores, but it's not like loving a woman. It was different for Jon. And Ygritte was a wildling. Gilly is not, Craster was a "friend" of the NW, not of Mance people.

Jon and Sam's love affairs have many similarities and many differences. Jon was told by Quorin Halfhand to be a mole in the wildlings camps and to do 'whatever it takes' to find out what the wildlings were up too. As you know, Jon killed Quorin and then was taken in. Once back to CB, the death of Quorin was the major crime he had to answer for, but facts of his relationship with Ygritte also became known.

Thorne and Slynt, especially Thorne, hated Jon Snow and used the idea of Jon as 'oathbreaker' against him but fortunately, Maester Aemon was there to remind them that Jon had been trying to obey the orders of Quorin, a superior officer. So Jon was reviled by them both for Ygritte and Quorin's death.

Sam's return to CB after the mutiny at Craster's was celebrated he was as a survivor that. Since Jon had met Gilly and heard her story, I doubt he was that surprised that Sam had brought her along. Sam denied to Jon and others that he and Gilly had ever had sex although some of his peers still gave him shit for it. Jon also cautioned Sam about falling in love with Gilly while they were still at CB.

When Sam and Gilly did have sex, they were very far away from the NW. However, Sam, like Jon, was very much twisted up with guilt about it until Kojja Mo has a little talk with Sam

and sets him straight.

Jon had both a relationship with Ygritte and the death of Quorin that were established facts. Sam had only the inuendo of sex with Gilly, which he denied, as it wasn't true anyway.

Am i missing something?

It was not about women. It was about killing Quorin and rocking with raiding party. No one would care about women alone.

Well, first of all, they know Sam isn't having sex with her. And some wouldn't even believe he did. They also know the baby is Craster's, and that if Sam took Gilly it was because they both were escaping and he couldn't leave her to be killed by the Others. There are many witnesses of this.

Jon's "crimes" are different. He's thought to have been switched sides. Ygritte is the lesser of his problems. They knew he killed Qorin, for instance. Janos also disliked him because he's a bastard, Ned's bastard. Considering Thorne was sent to the Wall because he was defeated during the Sack of KL, he probably dislikes the Starks as well. But he can't take it on Benjen, so, he takes it on Jon.

Oh, I thought it was perfectly obvious that there was no hanky panky going on until Sam and Gilly are both well away from the Night's Watch, except for the compromised Dareon (thanks BT), which is why I didn't bother to address that part (other than the "no-one knows" bit).

Oh, I thought it was perfectly obvious that there was no hanky panky going on until Sam and Gilly are both well away from the Night's Watch, except for the compromised Dareon (thanks BT), which is why I didn't bother to address that part (other than the "no-one knows" bit).

It's obvious for us, but any other man of the NW would believe that a brother bringing a wildling girl kinda implies she's "his woman". We're talking about Sam here: they are less likely to believe he's using Gilly for sex because he's Sam. They're right in a way, as Sam tried to keep his vows. They weren't considering that Gilly honestly has feelings for him. I'm sure Randyll wouldn't believe at first he managed to get her pregnant as Sam hopes for.

It's obvious for us, but any other man of the NW would believe that a brother bringing a wildling girl kinda implies she's "his woman". We're talking about Sam here: they are less likely to believe he's using Gilly for sex because he's Sam. They're right in a way, as Sam tried to keep his vows. They weren't considering that Gilly honestly has feelings for him. I'm sure Randyll wouldn't believe at first he managed to get her pregnant as Sam hopes for.

Hey at long last Sam's reputation for uselessness comes in handy :drunk:

Archived