Should I hide the Star Wars Prequels from My Child?

Weeping Sore

Kids never had a problem with any of the 6 movies that were aimed for kids.

only adults that they werent aimed for are offended by them.

Offended is the wrong word. Pointing out that the dialog is bad, none of the actors had any kind of chemistry, and there was too much focus on effects instead of the story are warranted critiques. I still enjoyed them, but if they weren't 'Star Wars', they would be rightfully thought of as pure crap.

As to the OP, watch it in this order: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Ah, but just because a five-year-old is not very discerning, is that a good reason to have them watch crap? Crap with cartoon hyperkinetic violence? I guess that's what most kids movies are these days, anyway.

The prequels are not 100% without merit, but at their core aren't they just totally unnecessary?

And Anakin's story is sort of depressing, and the immolation in Episode III is pretty gruesome for a little kid. Even the "redemption" arc doesn't really hold water, as if killing the Emperor in Jedi really makes up for wiping out all the Jedi, not to mention the planet Alderon.

As to the OP, watch it in this order: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6

Hmmm. Interesting. When you take Phantom Menace out of the equation, the idea does become a bit more palatable. Though it might be hard to deal with the idea that Han is frozen in carbonite for two whole movies...

If you consider yourself a SW fan, or if you consider that SW is going to be huge over the next decade or so, then your kid is going to have to watch them at some point. Better when they enjoy them than not.

I get the impression that episodes 7+ won't be that dependant on the prequels, but you never know. Maybe we'll finally find out Leia and Luke's midichlorian count.

If you consider yourself a SW fan, or if you consider that SW is going to be huge over the next decade or so, then your kid is going to have to watch them at some point. Better when they enjoy them than not.

Not necessarily. The OT did fine as a standalone trilogy for 20+ years. The prequels are just backstory that may or may not have any value going forward into the new canon.

Results my vary, but we showed our (then) 7 year old the original trilogy and he liked Star Wars. Then we showed him the first three and now he doesn't really like Star Wars.

He was actually so upset that Anakin turned bad, he asked for weeks, "why did he choose to be bad?" and "why would he choke Padmé?"

The rest of the kids didn't care the entire series and almost never payed any attention to any of them.

I'd probably vote to not show them the prequels.

I've started with episode 4 in 2007, when I was 7, than 5, 6 than 1,2, 3... , year later Clone Wars movie , than Clone Wars from 2001 show, than new Clone Wars season 1,2,3,4,5, 6 ( 6 was the best...

Darth Bane :) , Fives' death

meanwhile I've read many comics ( KOtoR, Dark times etc. ) and books like Thrawn trilogy, Republic Commando ).

But now I suggest chronological order:

1, 2, Clone Wars movie & show, 3, 4, 5,6 and 7 in December

Just don't watch them with someone like my sister.

I remember we went to the Star Wars Special Edition together with her son and 2 daughters. First she kept going "This is a repeat?!! This is a repeat?!!"

Then at the Mos Eisley Cantina scene when we first meet Han she points to him and says "Isn't that Scott Bakula?"

Then finally we're in the car driving home, kids there too (who've only seen just episode IV for the first time) she says "I heard a rumor, Darth Vader is Luke's father?!!"

:bang:

Archived