Should I hide the Star Wars Prequels from My Child?

Weeping Sore

Recommendation: completely skip episode 1. Totally and entirely. Episode 2 and 3 can be watched with no need for ep 1.

And if you can at all, watch them in the order 4-5-2-3-6.

Show them the original trilogy, and then build up the prequel trilogy in their mind for a few years. THEN show them the prequel trilogy.

:lol:

But I say no, no reason to show the kids the prequel series. But then again, no real reason to show them the entire original series either. When ever we're watching the young nephews, I simply show the Stormtrooper hitting his head on the blast door clip on repeat for like, 3 hours. We all love it.

It all depends. Does your kid understand what disappointment is? If he/she has a critical mind, you can watch it together and point out the flaws. That's the only reason to expose children to crap like the prequel :)

Play this for them, and if they still want to see them, so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

:bowdown: I love that clip :D

No, you should show your children the prequels. I mean, where do you want your children learning about Jar Jar and midichlorians from? Other children? The street?

No, just better to have 'the watch' with them while you still have the opportunity.

I think you should hide all the SW movies from your child and let them watch Dragon Ball Z instead. Get them to like Americanized Japanese anime.

Or RWBY, it's Japanized American anime.

I guess we caN call it animation, since it's made in America in the style of Japanese anime

Come on dude, the prequels weren't that bad

Midi-chlorians

Sure there were minor hiccups but they weren't bad movies

R2D2 can fly, Chewie and Yoda are best pals, Yoda is a breakdancing space ninja

But they weren't-

Trade Federation, stupid Jedi, the strange absence of logic in this Universe

But

Jar Jar Binks

:lol:

The R2 thing I can forgive ; maybe he just damages his flying mechanism , perfectly fine. It's breakdancing Yoda that's unforgiven ; by transforming Yoda into CGI space ninja they completely drove into the ground his own principles. He's mind over matter, old-feeble but super-wise Guru, "Wars make one great not" and all.

I loved that Yoda was absolutely incredible at using the lightsaber. A reluctant warrior doesn't belie the reluctance when they actually have to fight. If anything, it emphasizes his conviction. He doesn't fight and doesn't attack unless it is the last resort. Compare this to Obi-Wan or Anakin or Mace or basically anyone, and he's significantly less likely to use violence.

I like to think that R2 is secretly the mastermind behind the whole thing, everyone just puppets dancing on his strings.

Robot Chicken's take on Jar Jar was the best, IMO. :lol:

I loved that Yoda was absolutely incredible at using the lightsaber. A reluctant warrior doesn't belie the reluctance when they actually have to fight. If anything, it emphasizes his conviction. He doesn't fight and doesn't attack unless it is the last resort. Compare this to Obi-Wan or Anakin or Mace or basically anyone, and he's significantly less likely to use violence.

Yeah, I thought the way they handled Yoda was pretty good on the whole. My biggest complaint was his shiny, and not in the Firefly way.

As to the OP's question - Let them watch. The vast majority of kids enjoy them a lot, and for all their flaws, they're still good fun if you don't think too critically about it. Most kids won't even notice. Of course, watching the OT first is pretty essential, for various reasons, including that watching the PT first can make the effects look more dated.

Also, Phantom gets too much hate, IMO. Sure, it's the least story essential, but I prefer it as a movie to Attack of the Clones. I also think that, in general, many people who hate the PT will probably also hate the forthcoming trilogy and spin-offs, because nostalgia is playing a big factor - it isn't that the PT "isn't Star Wars," it's that what Star Wars is is changing.

Archived