Tywin and his Stepmother

Seaworth'sShipmate

Why was Tywin so mean and hateful to his stepmother, his father's mistress?

I have thought about it lately and concluded that it was not that he hates all women per se, he only hated this particular woman, and saw her as shaming/disgracing his family. Since she used sex/sexuality to bring shame upon his family, he would use sex/sexuality to remove the shame while shaming her at the same time.

I think she really irked him partly because she was a "whore" who took up with his father and wore his dearly departed mother's silks/jewels, and even more the fact that she was a "commoner" who did not know her place.

I get the feeling that if she were a lady, or the daughter/niece or even bastard of one of a noble family, he would have gotten rid of her, but given her more dignity?

I think his treatment of her may have had more to do with class hatred/snobbishness than misogyny (though the action certainly was misogynistic and demeaning)

Tywin was ashamed of his father's weakness. He was good-natured, but gullible and ineffectual. His father's mistress overreached herself, and sold offices and contracts. So, Tywin was determined to humiliate her. Added to which, Tywin was a snob.

Why was Tywin so mean and hateful to his stepmother, his father's mistress?

Because she was a symbol of his father's and House Lannister's weakness.

Because she was rumored to be the real head of the house.

Probably because he had the feeling she took his mother's place.

Plus he was a snob.

Actually, the story about Tytos strongly reminds me the story of Nicolai II and, a little bit less, about Ludovic (Louis) XVI. Knowing, how they have ended, I consider Tywin being totally justified in his actions.

please elaborate

Nope. Any semblabce of power she had disappeared after Tytos' death. Tywin's actions were cruel and unnecessary. He could have simply sent her away.

1) Nope. She was selling positions. Thus she had supporters to fight for her influence.

2) Show off. The biggest reason of Nicolai's downfall was not his bad rule, but his public appearance as Tzar-wimp. Tywin has shown necessary strength. He denied his father wimpy legacy, and showed everyone not to mess with him.

1) Nope. She was selling positions. Thus she had supporters to fight for her influence.

2) Show off. The biggest reason of Nicolai's downfall was not his bad rule, but his public appearance as Tzar-wimp. Tywin has shown necessary strength. He denied his father wimpy legacy, and showed everyone not to mess with him.

100% agree.

So what? I doubt Tywin left those people in the positions she gave them anyway. And she was a common born woman, noones going to be raising armies to put her in Casterly Rock.

Tywin had already shown he was cruel and ruthless when he destroyed the Reynes and Tarbecks down to the last child. So yes, it was an uneccessary act of cruelty.

So what? I doubt Tywin left those people in the positions she gave them anyway. And she was a common born woman, noones going to be raising armies to put her in Casterly Rock.

Tywin had already shown he was cruel and ruthless when he destroyed the Reynes and Tarbecks down to the last child. So yes, it was an uneccessary act of cruelty.

Reread DWD. Especialy Kevan's thoughts about this. Everything is explained in detail.

Tywin is known to be ruthless because he is acting ruthless, not because he castamered Raynes once long ago and then was playin with pony pooping rainbow.

Nope. Any semblabce of power she had disappeared after Tytos' death. Tywin's actions were cruel and unnecessary. He could have simply sent her away.

He could have but then wouldn't show how much he disapproved of his father's actions. With the walk he reminds Lannisport that Lannisters rule Casterly Rock, not whores.

Archived