Whats this Jaime redemption arc I keep hearing about?

BitsOfBrains

A girl and I got into a discussion the other day when she made mention to Jaimes "redemption arc".

Personally I don't see it.

Jaime has done literally nothing that I would consider even close to recompense for his past d-baggery.

The closest I can recall is him hanging some broken men. Even then he thinks how cool he is to be hanging people. "Look at me, I am golden hand the just!"

She pointed out sending Brienne off as a noble act but even that is a cop out, putting his responsibility on someone else.

Simply being slightly less of a tool isn't a redemption arc. Especially when the only reason he is refraining from his previous levels of tooldom is because he is physically incapable of cashing the checks his mouth used to write.

I like Jaime as a character but I would utterly hate him in real life

At least Theon has done a couple things to the good. I subscribe to the "Theon Durden" theory so I think he shanked some guys inside Winterfell and he also rescued (f)Arya. Don't get me wrong I hate Theon, but at least I can acknowledge and trace his redemption arc.

From another thread:

Now, I am ONLY relying on textual evidences,nothing more. Jaime is the character I like, but I won't be sad if he is going to be dead in the end. With that being said:

I think Jaime's whole storyline is about a knight who wants to redeem his name, because everyone despises him for breaking his vows, even though he should be considered hero. After slaying the Mad King, he started to act and pretend like he doesn't care what others think about him, even though that was not true at all,and we can clearly see it when Jaime meets Brienne. Jaime is far from dying in this series, and his overall plot will be about redemption.

I believe Jaime's end game is to be Lord Commander of Kingsguard. Remember, he gets so irritated and angry on how Kingsguard doesn't mean anything nowadays, that what Arthur Dayne would say if he saw today's Kingsguard. He will keep his word and protect Sansa Stark till she is safe, which will give him bonus points with Jon Stark, new King of Winter, and future heir of the Iron Throne. Like he said: "Sansa Stark is my last chance at honor".

Jaime will play a part in defeating ser Robert Strong along with the Hound (Gravedigger) and Brienne, where everyone dies in the battle except Jaime. After this he will return Sansa safely to Jon and redeem himself in the eyes of Starks, including Bran (who actually might be grateful to him for unlocking his greenseeing powers) joining Jon in the last battle between ice and fire forces.

Ultimately, while Jon defeats and wargs Drogon with his Targaryen blood helping him to tame the beast, proving to Dany he is Rhaegar's son and rightful heir, Jaime will battle Viserion and probably Tyrion as his dragonrider (Tyrion picking white cyvasse dragon figure; Jaime being Kingsguard and matching Viserion's colors of gold and white). Jaime's Targ blood (yes, I believe in A+J=J+C) will help him as well against Viserion. I don't know if he is going to kill the dragon, but that is probably how history will remember Jaime Lannister, as a hero who slew a dragon. Jaime Dragonslayer...sounds good. (I don't know if Rhaegal is going to be around for the final battle,but if he is, then I believe Bran is going to warg him and tame him as well...All in all, Jon is going to tame Drogon with warging and Targaryen blood, Jaime is doing the same with Viserion,but much harder,with,again,Targaryen blood...And Bran is going to warg Rhaegal...Three heads of a dragon)

Thus, dragon has three heads refers to Jon, Jaime and Bran defeating Dany and her three dragons. I also suspect Samwell Tarly and Gendry to be on Dany's side,because Sam is going to switch Dany's attention to the North and White Walkers (who are led by Jon Stark,King of Winter, but that's another topic for discussion), while Gendry will play a large role in blacksmithing obsidian swords to fight White Walkers. That's how I see it unfolding.

And no, I don't believe valongar to be Jaime. It was always meant to be Tyrion, because there is a passage about a beatiful queen who will cast Cersei down, and that's certainly Dany. The only valongar with Dany is Tyrion, because if it is Jaime, it makes no sense. Dany would rather execute Jaime than let him join her forces. And many argue that treason for love to be Tyrion rescuing Jaime from Dany. I believe this treason to be Arya, because I suspect she will initially join forces with Dany, but when the end battle with Jon will come,she will switch sides out of love for Jon, and the special bond between Arya and Jon should play a significant game-changing role in the story.

I would not call his arc "redemption" arc in a classical definition of the term. It's more like "identity" arc

Do you mean his "redemption arc" is more of a PR campaign he is waging? If so I agree.

It seems like in a traditional redemption arc its all about the character becoming a good guy or positively impacting the world, hopefully to the point that their recent good deeds outweigh their old bad deeds.

Jaimes "character arc" seems to be more about APPEARING to be/convincing others that he is a good guy.

Well, honestly I also don't see what the big deal is. He's still has A LOT to make up for pushing a kid out of window making him unable to walk for the rest of his life.

However, the redemption it's more like he's coming to realize his past mistakes. It's all in his chapters.

Jaime saved Brienne from a bear. When he said "the things I do for love", it was with loathing- he loathed what he did to Bran even as he did it. So far this thread has omitted these relevant facts.

Oh he felt bad about it. I'm sure Bran would take that into consideration.

The closest I can recall is him hanging some broken men. Even then he thinks how cool he is to be hanging people. "Look at me, I am golden hand the just!"

Even with this recall that there is no mention of Jaime holding any trial, meaning that most likely he just hanged a random assortment of people without investigating if they are actually guilty or not.

Do you mean his "redemption arc" is more of a PR campaign he is waging? If so I agree.

It seems like in a traditional redemption arc its all about the character becoming a good guy or positively impacting the world, hopefully to the point that their recent good deeds outweigh their old bad deeds.

Jaimes "character arc" seems to be more about APPEARING to be/convincing others that he is a good guy.

No, I don't mean it. What I mean is that a "redemption arc" in a classical way usually involves repentance and recompense for the past acts. And Jaime's arc doesn't really have it that much.

But I do think that Jaime is genuinely a good guy anyway and his story is about him "coming to a light side".

Even with this recall that there is no mention of Jaime holding any trial, meaning that most likely he just hanged a random assortment of people without investigating if they are actually guilty or not.

You don't know that.

Just like the Starks.

Where do we see the Starks applauding themselves for hanging a bunch of people without mention of trial for being outlaws? Even the BWB under LS performs something more responsibly a trial for their Frey and Lannister captives.

Yeah I never got any hint that he had any trial or gathered any statements. I think his idea of justice was the fact that hanged all of them instead of sparing the ones in Lanister cloaks. I need to reread that chapter because I can't even remember what they were accused of.

Archived