Ukraine 18 - The Rites of Spring

Horza

"IN A WORLD where Russia is surrounded by enemies, ONE MAN will listen for 4 hours to old ladies asking for social services. COMING SOON."

Yes, this week saw the typically weird Kremlin phone-in, unsurprisingly this year's focused heavily on economic issues, the messy foreign stuff taking a back seat

More on Russian hybrid war doctrine

A subtle terror campaign in Odessa

Your comment is premised on the idea that people in this thread think Ukraine is a place were murky political violence doesn't happen, so yes, it is.

Well, not totally but most here have taken an us vs them approach and it is usually Russia in the "them" category and Ukraine in the "us" catergory.

So that makes having a reasonable discussion about what's happening, how we got here and any possible solutions to the crisis, slightly more difficult than need be.

Well, not totally but most here have taken an us vs them approach and it is usually Russia in the "them" category and Ukraine in the "us" catergory.

So that makes having a reasonable discussion about what's happening, how we got here and any possible solutions to the crisis, slightly more difficult than need be.

Nah, making Russia 'them' in this conflict doesn't necessarily make Ukraine 'us', just slightly less 'them'.

Most would accept that Ukraine isn't perfect, and that they have huge problems regarding corruption and democracy that needs to be solved. We just don't think that Russian intervention is even close to the right solution.

Nah, making Russia 'them' in this conflict doesn't necessarily make Ukraine 'us', just slightly less 'them'.

Most would accept that Ukraine isn't perfect, and that they have huge problems regarding corruption and democracy that needs to be solved. We just don't think that Russian intervention is even close to the right solution.

And is, in fact, exacerbating the problem.

Was that post an overture to reasonable discussion, or just scoring points off those people? Isn't the latter exactly what they do?

That "article" reads like something penned by one of the more colorful local posters on a homework assignment. That's what passes for journalism these days?

All the eyerolling in this thread is getting really boring...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32425602

The US has accused Russia of deploying more air defence systems in eastern Ukraine in breach of a ceasefire deal.

The state department also said Russia was involved in training separatist forces in the area and building up its forces along the border.

The Kremlin has not yet responded to the claims.

A truce between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian rebels in east Ukraine was brokered by the West in Minsk in February.

Ukraine accuses Russia of arming the rebels and sending Russian troops over the border - a claim Moscow denies.

How I love freedom fighting hype machine!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3073478/Teen-girl-feted-Ukraine-s-Joan-Arc-fighting-against-Russian-rebels-revealed-nasty-neo-Nazi-views-arrested-killing-cops.html

A neo-Nazi portrayed as Ukraine's version of Joan of Arc by French fashion magazine Elle for her 'brave' fight against the Russian separatists has been arrested in connection with the deaths of two policemen. Vita Zaverukha was taken into custody after two officers were killed and three more injured on May 4, following a gang's failed attempt to rob a petrol station in the capital Kiev. (...) What's more, she is also suspected of being linked to an attack on a traffic police post in Bykovnya two days beforehand, and it is also claimed she participated in bloody attacks on the Odessa House of Trade Unions in May last year in which 46 perished and 200 were injured. Yet just six months ago, Elle magazine's French edition was portraying her as Joan of Arc-type figure, bravely defending her home from Russian separatists.

(...)

It is Vita's VK page - the Russian equivalent of Facebook - which provide unequivocal evidence of her own extreme views. Pictures of the blonde teenager performing the Nazi salute, posing in a t-shirt covered in the fascists' emblem and even decorating her tent with a colourful swastika populate the page, while pictures she shares include things like 'Ukraine with Yids'. 'I promote Nazism, terror, genocide,' she wrote in December last year. 'For all this, I'm not a bad person. The justification is the "War for Peace". If you go bringing the work to the end, only in this case, justify my actions would not. Winners are not judged.'

That last sentence should be right up the alley for some posters in the Armenian Genocide thread.

Mr F

How did the victory day celebration go?

Very well, thank you. Commemorating the victory over Nazism is something we all should do. I gather you think otherwise, but your lack of historical perspective is not my problem.

Very well, thank you. Commemorating the victory over Nazism is something we all should do. I gather you think otherwise, but your lack of historical perspective is not my problem.

I guess. But i was never convinced that celebrating victory in war is ever a good thing even if the enemy was as evil as the nazis, whereas celebrating the end of war always is. It's a subtle difference that requires a lot more historical perspective to recognize than that fascism is bad for ya.

Archived