Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IV

JonCon's Red Beard

In respect to recent show events, it has made it hard for me to really care about the future books. It really just seems that Martin has a fixation on making all of the sympathetic and likable characters suffer horrendously. At this point is starting to come off as just unrealistic as the stereotypical good guys always prevail narrative. Only less pleasant of a read.

I agree

I'm not unhappy Renly died. He was a fool who could have gotten a lot of people killed just because he wanted to play king, and had tried to jump the line of succession just because he could. If anyone believes Renly was in it for anyone other than Renly, then they are kidding themselves.

I read a bit about the War of the Roses today. fAegon seems like a pretty good counterpart to Henry VII, which makes me think Stannis is going to die in battle against him, as Stannis himself is a pretty good match for Richard III. On the other hand, GRRM compared Stannis to Henry VII, so no idea what's going on there. I feel like I should read more about it; all I know is the very minimum I needed to ace APEH tests back in high school. Seems like an interesting conflict.

I cannot understand how people can have sympathies for Theon or Jaime. I wish them the cruelest death of all.

I can understand their sympathy; I think that's GRRM's goal - to open up the possibility for redemption to "non-redeemable" characters, that is. I'm not so sure how these two end up as some readers' favorite characters, however. But one can enjoy a character arch, without white-washing their flaws or without liking a character on a moral level in and of themselves.

I guess this might have been said before as I'm sure I'm not the only one around here, but...

Sometimes I can't help but doubt GRRM is just the one person.

(I mean I know he is, but that the GRRM we know and see at conventions really is the only person behind ASOIAF, just, you know?)

I am a total fanboy to some posters around here, to the point where I'll sometimes read a theory and go "what? That's ridiculous" and then see them agree a few posts down and reread the OP cause hey, if they think it's good, it's probably good. (I know, this is terrible)

I cannot understand how people can have sympathies for Theon or Jaime. I wish them the cruelest death of all.

Well, I really love both of them. For what it's worth...

Have you ever fucked up? I'm not talking about some minor lie, or inadvertently hurting someone you love. I'm talking real, massive fuck up that you just can't take back.

And then you realize how badly you've fucked up, and you realize just how scary it is that you didn't even realize how terrible what you were doing was, and you know what? There's nothing you can do.

You can try to be a better person from now on, you can try to fix some of the mess you've created, you can try to do right by some people that were affected by your fucking up, even though you know they will never, ever forgive you. But that's about all you can do.

I don't whitewash everything Jaime and Theon did. They did some pretty fucked up things. I think the key, though, is that at the time, they didn't realize.

Why rabbitskins? he had meant to ask, but being spat on had made him forget his questions.

That's one of my favourite lines in the whole series so far. Theon just betrayed Robb, his childhood (and pretty much only) friend, invaded the North, slaughtered Benfred's whole group. And yet, he expects to just walk up to the guy and chat like they used to. You know? He doesn't have a clue just how terrible what he's doing is. He's just doing it.

I'm not saying that makes his crimes any less terrible, I'm not trying to find him any excuses - another confession is that I love to do just that, though, and I think he has plenty.

I'm just saying, sometimes, you do stupid things, and sometimes you do terrible things, just because you don't realize. And then you do. And that's a pretty terrible spot to be in, and GRRM writes about it wonderfully, and Jaime and Theon have not always been good persons, no, but I still can't help liking them.

THIS.

Jaime is an asshole. He pushed a kid through a window (possibly to his death), sleeps with his own sister, had kids by selfsame sister, kills Ned's men to "teach him a lesson", tried to killed Robb, and he STILL kept on working for a fake king when we last see him in ADwD. I'm supposed to feel sorry for him because his hand was cut and his sister no longer wants him? Boo hoo. I sometimes wish he was a character in Goodkind's books so he'd get the Mord-Sith treatment or his ass kicked by Richard, Kahlan and Co. He made me reference Goodkind, THAT'S how much I hate him.

Theon too, only I think he's getting what he deserves with Ramsay and all.

I also think that maybe Arya will be vital in saving a character during the Last Battle. Like, someone would be trying to kill Jon or Dany or something from behind their back while they're busy fighting White Walkers, and she saves them by killing the assailant.

I also have a feeling that amidst battle, Dany is gonna get into a tough spot and thinks about giving up. Then she says :"I'm the blood of the Dragon. I will NOT die" or something equally dramatic. Dunno just a hunch.

I kinda of also want there to be like 5 Melisander POV's instead of just maybe 1.

I want somebody to gut Euron like a fish.

I like Brienne, but her AFFC chapters were SO boring. Same for Sam.

That's all for now.

Archived