Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IV

JonCon's Red Beard

What? Confessions: Harry Potter edition? Count me in :)

I kinda feel like the only reason people even sympathize with Snape is because he's played by Rickman. So, if I'm reading the books, I'm definitely very pissed at him but if I'm watching the movies, I actually like him :dunno:

Man, I'm not so sure. Snape had plenty of fans even before the films came out. Not myself, though, for all his bravery and heroism, Snape was a vicious bully. As a former bully victim, I'd expect him to find compassion and emparthy for other such as himself; but instead he found solace in becoming a bully himself.

But back to the good part: I still remember one of the funniest parts of the books - Luna Lovegood (one of my favourite characters in my HP days) commentating on a quidditch match:

“And that’s Smith of Hufflepuff with the Quaffle,” said a dreamy voice, echoing over the grounds. “He did the commentary last time, of course, and Ginny Weasley flew into him, I think probably on purpose, it looked like it. Smith was being quite rude about Gryffindor, I expect he regrets that now he’s playing them — oh, look, he’s lost the Quaffle, Ginny took it from him, I do like her, she’s very nice…”

Harry stared down at the commentator’s podium. Surely nobody in their right mind would have let Luna Lovegood commentate? But even from above there was no mistaking that long, dirty-blonde hair, nor the necklace of butterbeer corks… Beside Luna, Professor McGonagall was looking slightly uncomfortable, as though she was indeed having second thoughts about this appointment.

“… but now that big Hufflepuff player’s got the Quaffle from her, I can’t remember his name, it’s something like Bibble — no, Buggins —”

“It’s Cadwallader!” said Professor McGonagall loudly from beside Luna. The crowd laughed.

“And Harry Potter’s now having an argument with his Keeper,” said Luna serenely, while both Hufflepuffs and Slytherins below in the crowd cheered and jeered. “I don’t think that’ll help him find the Snitch, but maybe it’s a clever ruse…”

Ginny and Demelza scored a goal apiece, giving the red-and-gold-clad supporters below something to cheer about. Then Cadwallader scored again, making things level, but Luna did not seem to have noticed; she appeared singularly uninterested in such mundane things as the score, and kept attempting to draw the crowd’s attention to such things as interestingly shaped clouds and the possibility that Zacharias Smith, who had so far failed to maintain possession of the Quaffle for longer than a minute, was suffering from something called “Loser’s Lurgy.”

Originally came here to discuss theories but now the topic is on HP... my first love! ;D

So here my take and confessions on the HP universe:
1. Snape and Malfoy get totally to much slack because their actors in the movies are really good (Rickman) and/or totally hot (Felton)(so it seems at least I'm a guy so I'm not really the one to ask on that)

I personally think especially Snape's posthumous turn into a hero-figure by Harry is extremely poorly written and unbelievable (telling VS showing)

We get Told by the protagonist's thoughts and actions that Snape wasnt a bad guy after all even though his actions throughot the series were still ambigious at best

Malfoy on the other hand actually deserves a little empathy because of his upbringing but not too much though: he still is a spoiled, rich, racist asshole ;D

2. I really hate how all the other houses except of Gryffindor are portrayed

Of course I understand that with the protagonist being a G we mostly get to see their take on things but we still get told how bifferent all the 4 houses are but what we then experience is just:

Slytherin => completely fucking evil

Gryffindor => all saints and heroes except for PP

Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff => basically like Gryffindor but more studious or more... well what is hufflepuff really? just lame and "the rest who dont fit anywhere else"...

but definitely not as cewl as Gryffindor

Especially Slytherin gets so misrepresented because even though we get told that not all of them are evil we do not get to see a single one except for Slughorn who still is kind of sleezy and a little racist.. just a little though (I kind of like Sluggy because he is kinda one of the rounder characters in the books)

And the other two houses? Meh... just an afterthought...

I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.. :P

Guys, if we keep talking HP and not ASOIAF the thread's gonna get locked.

Confessions:

Coming to the forum has made me like the Starks less, though I'm sure the situation will resolve itself when TWOW comes out.

Arya killing people doesn't particularly bother me.

Personally i started with Got and read the books after and now i too have become a book purist since the show is fan fiction since season 2 and i have come to disdain D & D for the portrayal of many characters especially Jon and Dany, LONG LIVE STANNIS

I don't understand the love for Dunk. I don't really think he is really a paragon but at the same time is not really interesting. When I read the three stories I was more interested about the background of the Targs, BR and the Blackfyre Rebellion than the adventures of Dunk and Egg.

Edit: we can maybe start a confessions thread HP in the "literature" part of the forum?

Yesterday I went to the bookstore to buy TWoIaF, I saw it was full of images and I didn't buy it because it looked like a book for children :dunno:

also, Snape cannot be redeemed for how he treated 11 years old kids.

Yeah, if he was portrayed by an unpopular, ugly actor, he'd be less worshipped. (I actually pictured him more like the guy who played Karkaroff)

James may have been a bully as a kid but Snape was a white supremisist. xD

I dunno, I wouldn't consider the actor THAT good looking. I mean, if the makeup artist/clothes designer actually made his hair slimy as described, or his sleeves too long, he'd pretty much nail it.

What? Confessions: Harry Potter edition? Count me in :)

Man, I'm not so sure. Snape had plenty of fans even before the films came out. Not myself, though, for all his bravery and heroism, Snape was a vicious bully. As a former bully victim, I'd expect him to find compassion and emparthy for other such as himself; but instead he found solace in becoming a bully himself.

I read the books when the last movie was released. And I never was a part of HP fan community. So didn't know he really had that many fans. Its surprising tbh, I mean, the way he treated Hermione and Neville was pretty unforgivable.

Arya killing people doesn't particularly bother me.

Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me in the books either. With that being said, I was pretty shocked at the sorta twisted smile Maisie did when she killed the Tickler/whoever it was.

I don't understand the love for Dunk. I don't really think he is really a paragon but at the same time is not really interesting. When I read the three stories I was more interested about the background of the Targs, BR and the Blackfyre Rebellion than the adventures of Dunk and Egg.

Edit: we can maybe start a confessions thread HP in the "literature" part of the forum?

Sounds great! ;)

Now my ASOIAF confession:

I dont think LF really masterfully plans that far ahead but just makes everything up as it goes...

So far a lot went really excellent for him but there is nooo way he even couldve planned half of what actually transpired

I mean seriously:

1. what did LF know about Cersei's plans on having Robert killed (which also was not really a foolproof plan... well Robert is a fool but how high were actually the chances of him getting himself killed whie hunting? I doubt Lancel couldve done anything else either with Barristan being there.. plus C only instructed him to give the king strongwine nothing more)

2. When Robert did die and he masterfully played Ned (no that hard but still brilliant) what was his plan then?

All signs pointed towards Ned being sent up to the wall

I dont think LF had that much insight into Joffreys character at that point and even if it was still more likely that Joff wouldve done as his mother says at least for the time being

I always get kinda mad when I think of Egg's reign on the throne. I like the idea of him and Dunk travelling and going on misadventures, but with him being the Unlikely, you would expect a good king who did well ala. a typical fantasy hero story (I know its not GRRM's style but still). And most of his children disobeyed him and went off and did their own thing. Finally, I think it was a bit stupid of him to try to bring back dragons at Summerhall

As I'm reading the series over again, I've come to disdain Melisandre. It's not that she's poorly written; I'm not a good judge of quality. Her machinations, her control over Stannis, her pious bleating, her accurate divinations... if only once, I'd like to see her taken down a peg. I want that smug assurance of hers shaken. I want her to admit, if only to herself and in a moment of epiphany, I made a terrible mistake.

Gosh, would I love to read her POV when she sees Dany riding on Drogon. I mean "Oops, I guess she was AA? Really need a better network provider for my fire network."

Even though he's older in the show version, Pod makes me feel very maternal towards him. I just want to hug him, the poor dear. In the books, his "Ser... I mean m'lady" make me want to :rolleyes:

As I'm reading the series over again, I've come to disdain Melisandre. It's not that she's poorly written; I'm not a good judge of quality. Her machinations, her control over Stannis, her pious bleating, her accurate divinations... if only once, I'd like to see her taken down a peg. I want that smug assurance of hers shaken. I want her to admit, if only to herself and in a moment of epiphany, I made a terrible mistake.

Oh, she'll realise the mistake she's made in supporting Stannis as AAR. And then she'll burn poor Shireen :crying:

I confess I managed to convince myself that Arthur Dayne is alive, and for some reason, instead of seeking Dany and Viserys out, he spent the last 17 years or as a hedge knight in Westeros doing some awesome stuff we know nothing about.

Yesterday I went to the bookstore to buy TWoIaF, I saw it was full of images and I didn't buy it because it looked like a book for children :dunno:

It has some beautiful art in it, that's a positive imo. And it's definitely not for children. It has some really gruesome stuff in it.

My first thoughts when reading the books for the first time were "I like this character. I hope he sticks around. I hope that other guy dies."

Unfortunately for me, the character I liked was Will... On the other hand, it was the perfect introduction to the series for someone who had no idea what to expect (other than politics, because that's what some random youtube commenter mentioned as part of the story when we were talking about fantasy).

I didn't actually finish reading the first book until last year though... Whenever I opened them I was 1. Overwhelmed by the urge to write and 2. Bored half to death by Bran... So I settled for watching the show until I got fed up with all the american viewers spoiling stuff the second each episode aired so I sat myself down and read all the books before the start of season 4. Best choice ever. Reading Oberyn vs. the Mountain completely unspoiled was divine :wideeyed: I even covered the opposite page not to spoil it for myself...

In my defense I'll attribute my late arrival to the series to three things:

1. Never hearing about it from people around me, because my sister and I are the only ones we know who read fantasy...
  2. Never seeing the books in my town's small library - I'm pretty sure they were on the shelf opposite of the one I always went to.
  3. I wasn't able to read when the first book was published...

I posted in it.

I'm officially glad Jon Connington is not part of the show. He's safe from being butchered.

Sad more people won't know his awesomeness, though.

tbh, i cant remember much being really remarkable about Jon Con. Other than his undying loyalty and love for the Rhae-man. It is good that hes not in the show because what little character he did have would not really exist. I pine for Young Griff though and i wanted to see him flip that fucking table. Goddammit. So mad.

Nothing can shake my love of Stark. Nothing.

I'm officially glad Jon Connington is not part of the show. He's safe from being butchered.

Reminds me of Red Letter Media Star Wars prequels review, where reviewer states best part of the movie are characters and stuff that were not in the movie (and thus couldn't be ruined). Here.

But numerous (rightful) complaining about show aside, I'm pretty grateful for it. If nothing else, because it brought huge number of new fans into the ASOIAF. The number of friends and acquaintances with whom I can discuss it has grown at least fivefold since the show came out.

Archived