HP musings, confessions and random thoughts.

JonCon's Red Beard

I suppose they wanted a "younger" and more energetic Dumbledore for the scenes to come. Problem was that while Dumbledore is mostly a calm cool guy, Gambom was all "WTF HARRY WHAT YOU DONE AAAAH!!!!". He accepted he didn't research the character, he did as we was asked by the director in charge.

Everyone knows Gambon got the wrong script. He was reading the part of the troll from the first movie, how else would you explain "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE!!!!"

I call it "the scene that never happened. It was just a nightmare."

Sometimes I think I'd rather have a series about Sharra and Kaydar than the rest of ice and fire.

I'm quickly losing any real interest in it, though I'll never deny it was my first obsessive series.

But since it's the topic at hand, might as well rattle off a few

Snape is a piece of shit and nothing he did made him a better person

Draco Malfoy deserves no sympathy. He definitely had a choice, he made it, and found out he was too weak to deal with it.

If it wasn't for Tom Felton, people wouldn't dampen themselves over Draco's plight

James Potter was described by all but Snape as a good guy, but we only see him in Snape's memory so he's now apparently the devil reincarnate.

The first two books are rather poorly written, and the rest are passble. I haven't read her other stuff, so I truly don't know whether she's capable of good prose.

Michael Gambon may not have been a good "book" Dumbledore but his screen presence was much better than other guy.

Even if we decided to give him a pass for "being hard" on Harry, he still bullied 11 and up year old children that were not part of his house. Not ok.

I kinda feel like the only reason people even sympathize with Snape is because he's played by Rickman. So, if I'm reading the books, I'm definitely very pissed at him but if I'm watching the movies, I actually like him :dunno:

James does get quite a bit more hate than he deserves. I mean, he was a bully, but seems to have matured up in his sixth year.

I don't know what it is but I genuinely had a conversation with my best friend who argued that Snape loved Harry deep down. I was like "PLEASE BE JOKING!!!!!!!" I was this close to throttling her.

One of the reasons I don't buy the "good Snape" argument is that he was a completely asshole towards Harry. Did he believe that a good way to honour Lily's memory was bullying her son as a payback for his father's behaviour? Or talking ill about James every moment he could? Lily was aware of James being an idiot and still chose him at the end once James grew up out of his idiocy. Snape never did, apparently. The mature thing to do was to ignore Harry. Better to let him wonder he didn't like him than actually confirm it every other second.

Also, I believe Lily was already sick and tired of Snape's antics by the time of "worst memory", and that was just the justification she was waiting for to finally drop the friendship.

One of the reasons I don't buy the "good Snape" argument is that he was a completely asshole towards Harry. Did he believe that a good way to honour Lily's memory was bullying her son as a payback for his father's behaviour? Or talking ill about James every moment he could? Lily was aware of James being an idiot and still chose him at the end once James grew up out of his idiocy. Snape never did, apparently. The mature thing to do was to ignore Harry. Better to let him wonder he didn't like him than actually confirm it every other second.

Also, I believe Lily was already sick and tired of Snape's antics by the time of "worst memory", and that was just the justification she was waiting for to finally drop the friendship.

I absolutely agree with your point:

Lilly already was tired of the company Snape kept and him calling her a "mudblood" was just the last drop

But do you think she might have fallen in love with him if he hadnt bought into the pure blood supremacist idea (like many Snape apologists believe)?

I believe she might have just thought of him as a brother (lol kinda like Cat... great idea for a crassover? Severus Littlefinger Snape?)

Never really liked HP that much tbh, but it's surely something I'd give the YA demographic to read. Having said that, I never really could take these books seriously, because Griffindor = good, Slytherine= bad-in-it's-entirety (especially all of Harry's friends being goody two shoes)

How many students are actually at Hogwarts?

I think 1000, according to Rowling.

Although JKR later admitted she's bad at math. I mean, there are 8 Grynffidors on Harry's year, which means max 40 students per year. Multiply this by 7 years, and you get cca 280 students in Hogwarts overall. When asked about this, JKR said she envisioned more than that (IIRC, around 1000 students).

I also admit I'm a bit jealous of Weasleys, each having so many brothers and a sister.

Lady ;) And thanks a lot

Okay, my first confessions

On Snape:

Yes, he is indeed a a jerk, asshole and a bully. He is totally unlikeable.

(However in the movies he can be funny. Remember this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuY2hem1xPw I think it completely unacceptable if a teacher would do this in real life. but this is still funny or it should at least to be funny according the writers of the movie.)

But I think he was meant to be unlikeable according to JR? She wanted it make plausible for the readers and Harry to think Snape was on the side of the Voldemort. (I still was one of the believer he was on the side of Dumbles even after book 6)

He has still in my eyes at least some redeeming qualities.

It is sad and rather obsessive but all those years his love was Lily and he never stopped loving her.

I would not say he was inherently a good guy because the reason he went to the "light side" was not because it was the better side but he wanted to save her.

And in the end this love developed in a loyalty towards Dumbledore. He stood by Dumbles all the time, so yeah he got some points for me from that (the fact he was loyal not he was a supporter of Dumbles)

And while he was indeed a bully, he still cared about the safety of his students.

And while he indeed did not love Harry, he still stoop up against Dumbles for Harry.

So yeah he was an asshole but I still like him in one way or another other. And I love Alan Rickman. His voice is amazing. He is one of the actors I just see the movies because I like the actor. (It is his voice :wub: )

The person who I absolute dislike, is the old good Dumbles. He was indeed an Machiavellian. What he did to Harry was really disgusting. He protected the boy during all those years to sacrifice him in the end. He made sure the boy was selfless enough he would be able do that? I might be wrong was that not of the reasons he left Harry with the Dursleys while Minnie told it was actually the worst thing you could do. (I even suspect him of leaving Sirius to rot in Azkaban to ensure Sirius would never be able to care of Harry if he knew about the change in secret keeper. I (like to) believe Sirius would do everything to make sure it was him taking care of Harry or at least make sure he was good taken care of. )

The chapter of Snape's memories made me really dislike Dumbles. I really never got over it.

So yeah Snape is not really a good person but in the end Dumbles was also not a good guy. And in the end I feel the death of Snape more sadder than Dumbles death. When he asked to Harry to look him in the eyes, was very sad.

My favorite teacher is actually Minerva. The times she stoop up for Harry against Umbridge, ... were indeed amazing. I only want she stoop up against Dumbles: dont let Harry return to the Dursleys!!!

Although JKR later admitted she's bad at math. I mean, there are 8 Grynffidors on Harry's year, which means max 40 students per year. Multiply this by 7 years, and you get cca 280 students in Hogwarts overall. When asked about this, JKR said she envisioned more than that (IIRC, around 1000 students).

I also admit I'm a bit jealous of Weasleys, each having so many brothers and a sister.

In short: JK Rowling is a terrible author! :P

Anyone else ever wonder how the teachers ever managed all the classes? Especially the teachers of the main subjects?

I mean even if we believe there are just 280 students seperated over 4 houses and 7 grades the schedule is not managable without a time turner (which dont exist ever since HP V...

So what is their secret? ;) (I just accepted it as a major plot hole and went on with it... which proved really difficult when I tried to write a realistic FF... ;D)

Edit: pls excuse if I get some HP terms wrong I just read the books in German (which was not a mistake apperently from what I hear about the original English writing style ;D)

In short: JK Rowling is a terrible author! :P

Anyone else ever wonder how the teachers ever managed all the classes? Especially the teachers of the main subjects?

I mean even if we believe there are just 280 students seperated over 4 houses and 7 grades the schedule is not managable without a time turner (which dont exist ever since HP V...

So what is their secret? ;) (I just accepted it as a major plot hole and went on with it... which proved really difficult when I tried to write a realistic FF... ;D)

I might be wrong but all lot of the sixth and seventh year classes were not given to all students anymore. F.e Snape gave only potions to the people with the hightest grade. So how many would there actually be in the class?

While it is unrealistic there were a lot of classes were the houses were together. But yeah, poor Minni to make those timetables

@Tijgy: Well I find it unrealistic that not all of the classes of one grade were together with all houses (like they do in the movies)

and I still find the timetables for all the teachers unrealistic (especially Flitwick because basically anyone takes Charms from year 1 til year 7 with his low standards and all)

Be that as it may... I really think JKR dropped the ball in the way she portrayed Slytherin and the "minor" houses...

I mean srsly... Just the fact that it is possible to refer to them as the minor houses even though they are supposed to be equally important and prestigious is a joke right?

@Tijgy: Well I find it unrealistic that not all of the classes of one grade were together with all houses (like they do in the movies)

and I still find the timetables for all the teachers unrealistic (especially Flitwick because basically anyone takes Charms from year 1 til year 7 with his low standards and all)

Yeah, you are probably right.

Be that as it may... I really think JKR dropped the ball in the way she portrayed Slytherin and the "minor" houses...

I mean srsly... Just the fact that it is possible to refer to them as the minor houses even though they are supposed to be equally important and prestigious is a joke right?

The problem is with the houses is that JR mostly uses Grifffs as Harry's friends and family. Only Luna of his more closest friends came out of another house. He fell first in love with someone of another house but that also failed. So in one way the other houses are left on the blackground.

I think it is logical it were actually the Dark Lord's army consisted mostly of Slytherins. It used to be his house and Voldy knew probably how he could get them on their side. I think a lot of Pureblood families prefer their children going to Slytherin because it was connected with blood purity (and which was one of the agenda points of Voldy).

I think you must not forget not all Slytherins were badies or on the sight of Voldy.

Snape used to be on Voldy's but still went over and did more for the good sight than a lot of other people (and yeah he is still a jerk)

Yeah, Narcissa is connected with Voldemort but I think she only was because her husband was. I think her wish was to stay so far away from everything as possible. The most important thing of her is her family. (Okay, she is a snob and bitch towards some people).

Regulus did indeed join Voldy's army (while he was sixteen). Why? He was brainwashed by his family and he wanted to make his parents proud. He was actually a fan of the Death Eaters (Wow, mommy of Sirius and Reggie did a great job on both of her kids). He put pictures of them on the wall of bed chamber! And then he started to doubt Voldy's cause and after Voldy hurt his servant/house elf (!!) he turned his back towards Voldemort. And he even tried to fight against Voldy:

"I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more." (Wow, that sounds almost like a Gryffindork; Would his big brother not be proud if he knew that? Or would he be guilty he didn't help his little brother).

Even a lot member of the Slytherin House started to fight against Voldy in the Battle of Hogwarts

And finally

Andromeda was also a Slytherin. Can you say anything wrong about her except she (like the rest of her family) has a terrible taste in names.

The biggest problem of Slytherin is actually the bad reputation it has. There are people who actually say in the books: it does not mean they are from Slytherin that they are bad people. It is at least said by the Sorting Hat and Harry (in the epilogue)

Yeah, this reminds: Kreacher really rules!! (in book 7)

Hehe you really know your Sly's ;D

Well I still wouldve liked to see some Slytherin classmates of Harry being a little more friendly... for example what did Daphne Greengrass do all this time? (As a matter of fact in my FF she is kind of a "rogue" Anti-Malfoy Slytherin ;D)

I really forgot about Andromeda (I think most do I guess) but I wouldnt count Zissy as a neutral... I mean she does support pure blood supremacy almost til the end

But I agree: she mostly is just a snob.

Hmmm Regulus: a really interesting character you are right... Especially because of his love for his houseelf a creature even most "Muggellovers" like the Weasley's dont pay much (or rather any) attention to

Yeah I also absolutely love the scene in the final battle when Kreacher is leading all of the HG houseelves into battle "For master Regulus!!"

I don't believe Salazar Slytherin to be the racist bigot people believed him to be. Having muggle-born students was indeed a danger, as it threatened the security of Hogwarts and the students and their families, even those who weren't wizards.

I would love to agree if it wasnt for the fact that he built the fucking chamber of secrets with a basilisk inside!! :P

Salazar was an absolute maniac at best...

What good is it to have a monster inside your magic school for kids that kills anyone that looks it in the eyes?

Im sure his intentions were purely academic... ;)

I would love to agree if it wasnt for the fact that he built the fucking chamber of secrets with a basilisk inside!! :P

Salazar was an absolute maniac at best...

What good is it to have a monster inside your magic school for kids that kills anyone that looks it in the eyes?

Im sure his intentions were purely academic... ;)

To be fair, we don't know what his intentions were. I'm not saying he was innocent either, but the other Three did hang out with him. Maybe he became paranoid about Muggles and lost his mind like Aerys. Or maybe he felt betrayed when his former friends didn't see his worries worthy to consider.

I like Ginny Weasley and think she is awesome. :commie:

My favorite teacher is actually Minerva. The times she stoop up for Harry against Umbridge, ... were indeed amazing. I only want she stoop up against Dumbles: dont let Harry return to the Dursleys!!!

Wait ... there are people whose favourite teacher is not Minerva? :idea:

Edit: pls excuse if I get some HP terms wrong I just read the books in German (which was not a mistake apperently from what I hear about the original English writing style ;D)

That should be quite easy, I did not find it unrealistic at all.

Lets say all the classes from 1st to 5th year were combined, so two dorms had the same class at the same time, and the years 6 and 7, they all combined in the same class because not everybody had the main subjects anymore. That makes 12 classes for a teacher to teach, 2 or 3 every day. I am sure that is doable.

Archived