Significance of Sansa's direwolf (Lady) being dead?

JonSnowGOAT

I haven't seen the actual interview so I can't give any quotes, but GRRM has said since lady died Sansa has been a bit adrift.

The stark children were meant to have them, it's clear from all the Wolf dreams they have a special connection to them. So much that goes beyond reasoning (skinchanging/magic).

Jon actually said, or thought, in ADWD that ghost didn't even count as a friend. He was more than that he was a part of him.

Lady being dead is the reason why Sansa has been making some really dumb decisions. E.g telling Cersei about ned's plan to leave KL. She's been very easily manipulated since her death.

Thoughts? Does it mean Sansa dies eventually? Or is it more of a symbolic thing? Like a part of her dies?

I do think Ladys death is a little symbolic in something, but unsure just what yet.

It's hard for me to imagine Sansa dying though....I really don't expect any more Starks to perish in the books, mainly because they got hit so hard in the first couple, and I think the last two books will be "Pro-Stark" (and considering the final book was one titled "A Time for Wolves"). I could be wrong though.

It's hard for me to imagine Sansa dying though....I really don't expect any more Starks to perish in the books .

Personally I'm predicting that Arya and at least one other Stark sibling will die. Rickon is the only one I think is guaranteed to survive.

Sansa is going to get beheaded or flayed in the show. This means she dies in the books. Her death has been strongly foreshadowed and despite most peoples delusion LF set her up to be sacrificed. The harry the heir and Myranda situation in the books will have the same end. She has no plot armor but her death will bring down either LF or the boltons or both.

Sansa is going to get beheaded or flayed in the show. This means she dies in the books. Her death has been strongly foreshadowed and despite most peoples delusion LF set her up to be sacrificed. The harry the heir and Myranda situation in the books will have the same end. She has no plot armor but her death will bring down either LF or the boltons or both.

TGOHH has prophesied that Sansa will slay a giant in a castle made of snow. Take that as you will but her plot isn't over yet. It takes time to start up a new story for a character, maybe she will die but GRRM hasn't gone through this much effort with Alayane just to make her a measly sacrifice. I always thought Petyr saw her as a Catelyn 2.0, she'll be his downfall. Maybe she'll even be the other queen that will screw Cersei over :dunno:

Thoughts? Does it mean Sansa dies eventually? Or is it more of a symbolic thing? Like a part of her dies?

Considering the fact that Lady died early in AGOT and that Sansa is still very much alive while a bunch of other people have died, including her brother Robb, who died at the same time as his direwolf, no, I don't think it has anything to do with Sansa dying.

I think Lady had to die for plot reasons, so Sansa would have no protection in KL, but also, she has been denied the connection to the instinctive part of herself - which doesn't mean she can't get in touch with it; but it is more difficult for her. It's also stifled her development as a warg.

You could see it as symbolic in the sense that being at court and trying to be a "lady" has lead to Sansa losing touch with her wolf side, her instincts - but it does come out, from time to time. And Sansa still thinks of Lady and calls out to her at times.

I think that, since they bonded (even though there was no warging - bonding preceeds warging by a long period, as we've seen with the other Stark kids), Lady still lives in Sansa somewhere deep inside. We've been told that bonded animals continue to live in the warg and vice versa. And there's also this quote from ASOS, from Bran's/Summer's perspective:

He had a pack as well, once. Five they had been, and a sixth who stood aside. Somewhere down inside him were the sounds the men had given them to tell one from the other, but it was not by their sounds he knew them. He remembered their scents, his brothers and his sisters. They all had smelled alike, had smelled of pack, but each was different too.

His angry brother with the hot green eyes was near, the prince felt, though he had not seen him for many hunts. Yet with every sun that set he grew more distant, and he had been the last. The others were far scattered, like leaves blown by the wild wind.

Sometimes he could sense them, though, as if they were still with him, only hidden from his sight by a boulder or a stand of trees. He could not smell them, nor hear their howls by night, yet he felt their presence at his back... all but the sister they had lost. His tail drooped when he remembered her. Four now, not five. Four and one more, the white who has no voice.

These woods belonged to them, the snowy slopes and stony hills, the great green pines and the golden leaf oaks, the rushing streams and blue lakes fringed with fingers of white frost. But his sister had left the wilds, to walk in the halls of man-rock where other hunters ruled, and once within those halls it was hard to find the path back out. The wolf prince remembered.

That can't be Nymeria. She was in the wild, leading a pack of wolves through the Riverlands. It can't be Arya, either, roaming the Riverlands. And Summer or Bran!Summer/Summer!Bran - the personalities of the warg and the direwolf tend to mix when they bond) knows Lady is dead, that they have lost her, as he thinks here - he's known since book 1. Even if her body is in the crypts of Winterfell, it's just her body, she's not looking for her way out, and there are no hunters there. But there's one person who completely fits that description, and it's the first person who comes to mind with the line: "to walk in the halls of man-rock where other hunters ruled, and oncewithin those halls it was hard to find the path back out" - Sansa. Who still has some of Lady inside of her, so she is still Summer's sister, as she is Bran's.

Keep dreaming.

Please.....do share all these "strongly foreshadowed" instances you speak of. Don't worry, we'll wait.

Her sacrifice wont be measely. But her life has been in perril and she has been a battered and abused hostage since the first book. After 6 books and you are not "free" yet you will more than likely never be. Sansa is aware that her birthright and is the only thing that kept her alive. Alayne does not have that. LF has enemies in the vale and whomever is going to get at him in the books will do it to Sansa. She is running around the Vale with Myranda who hates her and she does not even know it. A bastard daughter of an upjumped family of the lowest level who is engaged to the heir to the vale= a lot of angry people. Even Sweetrobin knows Harry wants the vale.

Her sacrifice wont be measely. But her life has been in perril and she has been a battered and abused hostage since the first book. After 6 books and you are not "free" yet you will more than likely never be. Sansa is aware that her birthright and is the only thing that kept her alive. Alayne does not have that. LF has enemies in the vale and whomever is going to get at him in the books will do it to Sansa. She is running around the Vale with Myranda who hates her and she does not even know it. A bastard daughter of an upjumped family of the lowest level who is engaged to the heir to the vale= a lot of angry people. Even Sweetrobin knows Harry wants the vale.

I agree with almost everything you said.

Sansa's story has very much followed the idea of being a royal hostage. I'm excited for her WoW arc because, like you said, she's in a lot of shit and doesn't even realise it but instead is skipping around the vale playing the good daughter. But her story will be more than just her death.

Sansa has been nothing more than a hostage for the majority of ASOIAF, but her story is changing and I expect/hope she'll escape.

Please.....do share all these "strongly foreshadowed" instances you speak of. Don't worry, we'll wait.

Sansa's direwolf being beheaded. That is not a symbol of her losing her stark but her life.

The manner in which her direwolf was beheaded. Lady was innocent and Arya's wolf bit Joffrey but was killed anyway.

All of the Starks who's wolves have died have followed the same fate.(weak but true)

The doll sweet robin pulled the head off of. That was not a symbol of his or LF death but Sansa. The same when he stomped her snow winterfell.

Ilyn Payne. Yes he terrified Sansa since the first book and he oddly was mentioned in relation to Sansa in that chapter. He symbolises death or the grym reaper. In the red keep he was there to as well eyeing Sansa the whole time.

The hound. He was her true knight and Sansa decided to stay in kings landing. Who does that true knight save instead? I will wait. Sansa goes and follows LF who caused the downfall of her family.

Its about choices and Arya ironically made all of the right choices. Even in the show Sansa is given another chance by Brienne but she chooses her fate.

This is 1 of my favorite reasons to come on these boards.... to see what others have picked up on that I missed. Sadly as it turns out, there was quite a bit I missed! Here is another example- I never realized Myranda hated her. Please explain how you realized this.

This is 1 of my favorite reasons to come on these boards.... to see what others have picked up on that I missed. Sadly as it turns out, there was quite a bit I missed! Here is another example- I never realized Myranda hated her. Please explain how you realized this.

Her father tried to arrange a marriage between her and Harry the heir. If Myranda doesn't know Alayane's true identity it's likely she's extremely pissed off that a bastard is (WoW spoiler, sorry can't do that weird button thing) betrothed to him. As she was rebuffed by him (edit- not Harry personally)

LF had warned sansa to watch her tongue while she's around her. And he was right in saying so because she seems overly keen in LF and Alayane, judging from all the questions she asks. Hate is a strong word. Dislike is better, but myranda isn't on her side and seems to be spying on her in some way

I had to wait for the Alayne chapter to confirm it. Basically it goes like this... Myranda Royce wants a noble husband and believes she is worthy of that. She wants Harry. She repeadetly says this to Sansa and Sansa replies that her father wants the marriage not her. Myranda shunned all other suiters as I believe she had her eyes on Harry the entire time. Myranda does not care that Sansa is to be married against her wishes that is more of the insult. In the back of Myranda's mind she is like how dare this lowborn bastard bitch not be grateful for even being considered a prospect. I like these books because the author does a damn good job of given minor characters personalities. Another clue was myranda and Sansa running to Harry. Myranda wanted her to look rough which Sansa does not realize was intentional bc she thinks her a friend. The problem people have trying to determine what will happen in the books is thinking in the minor characters pov.

Archived