Stark/Tyrell alliance

Fireandblood94

They could have, but what was Robb offering? The Reach didn't care about Eddard's death or Tywin's treatment of the Riverlands. Honestly, they don't really seem to care about who killed Renly (besides Loras).

The Tyrells wanted the prestige of being in THE royal family, not a royal family from the other side of the continent.

Really, the best best Robb could hope for was a marriage between Sansa and Willas, at which point the Reach would not actively participate in Tywin's war in the Riverlands.

Tyrion and Tywin suspected that there might have been a chance, apparently.

Bloody fool, thought Tyrion. “Sweet sister,” he explained patiently, “offend Tyrell and you offend Redwyne, Tarly, Rowan, and Hightower as well, and perhaps start them wondering whether Robb Stark might not be more accommodating of their desires.”

“I will not have the rose and the direwolf in bed together,” declared Lord Tywin. “We must forestall him.”

I think it comes down to the fact that Lannisters offered them an alliance when they needed it (and to soothe their ambitious side) when the Starks did not. It's something Robb later acknowledges as well.

“I should have traded the Kingslayer for Sansa when you first urged it,” Robb said as they walked the gallery. “If I’d offered to wed her to the Knight of Flowers, the Tyrells might be ours instead of Joffrey’s. I should have thought of that.”

I reckon the biggest problem might be the fact that the Reach and the North are too far away from one another. (Unlike the Riverlands, as the river lords chose to take Robb as their king as well.) So it wouldn't make sense for the Reach to be a part of the kingdom of the North. But I don't think Robb or his men would have asked for such a thing anyway. They could have offered to make the Reach independent, perhaps. The Tyrells have never been kings, and it's obviously something that Mace Tyrell is quite aware of and irritated about.

You Starks were kings once, the Arryns and the Lannisters as well, and even the Baratheons through the female line, but the Tyrells were no more than stewards until Aegon the Dragon came along and cooked the rightful King of the Reach on the Field of Fire. If truth be told, even our claim to Highgarden is a bit dodgy, just as those dreadful Florents are always whining. ‘What does it matter?’ you ask, and of course it doesn’t, except to oafs like my son. The thought that one day he may see his grandson with his arse on the iron Throne makes Mace puff up like... now, what do you call it? Margaery, you’re clever, be a dear and tell your poor old half-daft grandmother the name of that queer fish from the Summer Isles that puffs up to ten times its own size when you poke it.”

"They call them puff fish, Grandmother.”

“Of course they do. Summer Islanders have no imagination. My son ought to take the puff fish for his sigil, if truth be told. He could put a crown on it, the way the Baratheons do their stag, mayhap that would make him happy."

So a Tyrell/Stark alliance might have been possible, on the grounds that Sansa (a princess) would marry Loras, (according to Robb... though I think Willas would make more sense as the prince and heir of the newly-founded kingdom of the Reach) - and the North and the Reach would support one another in their respective wars of independence. But as Risto pointed out, it's one huge MIGHT.

It could have been possible if things in Renly's camp worked out differently. Namely if Cat had been in Margaery's tent , maybe with Loras, Mace, Randal Tarlly, and/or other Reach Lords when Renly was murdered. But by Robb's mother and emissary being in the tent at the time that their chosen king is killed, that pretty much kills (pun intended) any chance of a Stark/Tyrell alliance.

Yea if Robb had any ambition. Simple math kid, do you want one kingdom or seven?

That is not really an accurate statement. No Robb did not want to rule all 7 kingdoms, but he would have if that was the best option, and had Cat somehow allied his cause with the Tyrell's after Renly's murder then I think Robb with Margaery as his Queen sitting on the Iron Throne would have been the best option.

Catelyn was in the tent with Renly, if right after his death the Starks immideatly start trying to marry Marge, people will suspect it was Cat who arranged Renly's death so the Starks could ally the Tyrells.

Catelyn was in the tent with Renly, if right after his death the Starks immideatly start trying to marry Marge, people will suspect it was Cat who arranged Renly's death so the Starks could ally the Tyrells.

That actually makes sense, I hadn't thought of that before. But I reckon the Tyrells, save Loras, wouldn't care about Renly's death very much, especially if an alliance with Starks offered them independence, thus making them a royal family. And even Loras seems to doubt the possibility of Cat killing Renly.

“There was no one in the tent but you and Lady Stark. Do you claim that old woman could cut through hardened steel?”

Robb would not have the power and legitimacy to be king of the 7K.

The Tyrell and Stark could ally against the Lannisters. But they had to find a king for the 7K.

The Tyrell could no more than the Stark rule the 7K. After Renly, it was only Stannis or Joffrey. And the Tyrell chose Joffrey. Or apparently, Loras chose Joffrey.

yeah it would be difficult for the reach to join the north's independence bid as the riverlands had due to geographical issues, and the only option for the iron throne would be stannis, who would not accept half a kingdom, plus he is married to a florent, and murdered renly, which would make him an extremely unlikely option. Guess they might have thought about inviting Danaerys over to take the throne, but that would have been an unpopular option with Robb (her father burning his grandfather and uncle). So an agreement would have been possible, but it would be extremely left field, why go for Robb when Joffrey, or even Stannis, might seem a better option?

The Tyrells would stand to gain nothing by siding with the Starks except making some enemies that they would be isolated and have to face alone due to geography.

They already had enemies after siding Renly to be fair. I think they'd gain an ally that had won key victories in the war and had momentum.

No. They could have offered Sansa but like the Tyrell's words say

"Growing Strong".

Growing strong through crowning your daughter queen of the seven kingdoms, or through marrying one of your sons to a Northern princess.

Margarey as queen would allow them to gain far more influence in Westeros.

Marrying Loras or Willas to Sansa would allow them to gain some influence in the north. The kingdom that's big but hardly populated, and pretty poor.

Give me a queen for a daughter any day.

Robb would not have the power and legitimacy to be king of the 7K.

The Tyrell and Stark could ally against the Lannisters. But they had to find a king for the 7K.

The Tyrell could no more than the Stark rule the 7K. After Renly, it was only Stannis or Joffrey. And the Tyrell chose Joffrey. Or apparently, Loras chose Joffrey.

A Stark/Tyrell marriage alliance would allow Robb to conquer all the 7 Kingdoms, or at least take the Iron Throne. There is his legitimacy.

A Stark/Tyrell marriage alliance would allow Robb to conquer all the 7 Kingdoms, or at least take the Iron Throne. There is his legitimacy.

Why would the more powerful House be willing to be the junior partner in this relationship?

The Reach is richer, has a bigger army, has an actual navy, has the right religion to rule Westeros and is not impotent during the Winter.

Look at Maces reaction when Balon take Winterfell, claims himself King and offers peace. Mace doesn't care as its only the North.

If the North and Reach was to partner up to take Westeros it would be to make a Tyrell King, not a Stark one.

Archived