Will Gendry be back this season?

Stag_legion

The book and show personally gave me a more brother/sister vibe between arya and gendry.

And personally I (and many others) see a romantic vibe in both the book and show between Arya and Gendry. And obviously the show feels that way as well since Maisie was directed to say that "I can be your family" as an "I love you" and that was the take used out of all the takes done, and Gendry was shirtless in the Harrenhal scene specifically to show Arya's burgeoning womanhood per Joe Dempsie. As for the book, GRRM wrote scenes of them rolling around on the floor together fake-wrestling, Gendry sniffing her and Gendry jealous of Arya and a young lord, and Arya of Gendry and some girl whose "bell he might go ring" to the point that even several chapters later she was still seething about it.

And personally I (and many others) see a romantic vibe in both the book and show between Arya and Gendry. And obviously the show feels that way as well since Maisie was directed to say that "I can be your family" as an "I love you" and that was the take used out of all the takes done, and Gendry was shirtless in the Harrenhal scene specifically to show Arya's burgeoning womanhood per Joe Dempsie. As for the book, GRRM wrote scenes of them rolling around on the floor together fake-wrestling, Gendry sniffing her and Gendry jealous of Arya and a young lord, and Arya of Gendry and some girl whose "bell he might go ring" to the point that even several chapters later she was still seething about it.

I don't know, a big 16-15 year old boy having a crush on a 11-10 year old girl. I really doubt it. Arya might have a crush on gendry, since its not unusual for kids (especially girls) to have a crush on older kids, but I don't think gendry does.

After all gendry is a good looking young man (post puberty) with muscles but, arya looks to have barely hit puberty.

I don't know, a big 16-15 year old boy having a crush on a 11-10 year old girl. I really doubt it. Arya might have a crush on gendry, since its not unusual for kids (especially girls) to have a crush on older kids, but I don't think gendry does.

After all gendry is a good looking young man (post puberty) with muscles but, arya looks to have barely hit puberty.

The book Arya or the show Arya?

Maisie Williams is now 18 and her Arya even in costume does not look 11 and has not for three years now.

The book Arya or the show Arya?

Maisie Williams is now 18 and her Arya even in costume does not look 11 and has not for three years now.

The book. I know the ages are a little different on the show, and there might have been a subtle hint of romance n the show that was not present in the books, which I think is a mistake, you don't need characters to be romantically involved to form bonds.

Joe is 10 years older than Maisie playing younger. I would put him as 19 in Season One.

Of course in the book the age gap is the same as Robert and Lyanna

Difference is Lyanna was 17-16 when she and robert were to wed and she already looked like a fully grown woman. unlike ayra who is still a small kid in the books.

Age gap isn't a big issue once both parties are beyond puberty and are fully grown.

being 16 or 15 is still very different from being 11 or 10.

Rhaegar was 22 crushing on a 14 year old at Harrenhal and we know Robert was already betrothed to her before that and he arranged it himself because he was so into her. Lyanna was younger than Eddard and he went to the Vale at 8, Lyanna would have been 5. So Robert fell for her between the ages of 5 and 14. Going by her dialogue and knowledge of bedroom stuff, the betrothal likely happened at the age of 12-13.

Rhaegar was 22 crushing on a 14 year old at Harrenhal and we know Robert was already betrothed to her before that and he arranged it himself because he was so into her. Lyanna was younger than Eddard and he went to the Vale at 8, Lyanna would have been 5. So Robert fell for her between the ages of 5 and 14. Going by her dialogue and knowledge of bedroom stuff, the betrothal likely happened at the age of 12-13.

You are grasping at straws to say that at 15/16 year old dude would be into a 10/11 year old girl who also has been described as not much to look at.

It was typical for marriages to be planned in advance for several years back in the middle ages. just cause robert was betrothed to lyanna doesn't mean they were ready to have sex. Their offical marriage would probably have taken place a little later than when she was kidnapped, so either late 15 or 16. which while still too young for our modern day standards isn't that creepy cause lyanna would have been more or less a fully grown woman by then.

What rhaegar did doesn't change much, the guy was obsessed with prophecy, and that certainly doesn't make it ok and 14 still is not equal to 10/11!!

Finally Lyanna was a pretty girl, and that's why robert was excited about his marriage, that and the fact that she was ned's sister. Ayra isn't described as pretty and she is much younger, I see no reason for gendry to have a crush on her.

I never saw any romantic vibes between Gendry and Arya in the show or the book, just a brother/sister relationship. Arya just kept losing everybody first Yoren then Lommy then Hot Pie and finally Gendry and she just felt like everybody was abandoning her. Besides a Arya Gendry match would be one of the weirdest in the series.

A

I never saw any romantic vibes between Gendry and Arya in the show or the book, just a brother/sister relationship. Arya just kept losing everybody first Yoren then Lommy then Hot Pie and finally Gendry and she just felt like everybody was abandoning her. Besides a Arya Gendry match would be one of the weirdest in the series.

You may never have seen any romantic vibes between them in the book or the show, but clearly both the book and the show intended them. We know the show did since Maisie was directed to say that "I can be your family" as an "I love you" and that was the take used out of all the takes done, and Gendry was shirtless in the Harrenhal scene specifically to show Arya's burgeoning womanhood per Joe Dempsie. As for the book, GRRM wrote scenes of them rolling around on the floor together fake-wrestling, Gendry sniffing her and Gendry jealous of Arya and a young lord, and Arya of Gendry and some girl whose "bell he might go ring" to the point that even several chapters later she was still seething about it.

You and others may not have seen it, but the intention was there from GRRM and from the show, and many others have seen what was actually intended to be seen.

A

You may never have seen any romantic vibes between them in the book or the show, but clearly both the book and the show intended them. We know the show did since Maisie was directed to say that "I can be your family" as an "I love you" and that was the take used out of all the takes done, and Gendry was shirtless in the Harrenhal scene specifically to show Arya's burgeoning womanhood per Joe Dempsie. As for the book, GRRM wrote scenes of them rolling around on the floor together fake-wrestling, Gendry sniffing her and Gendry jealous of Arya and a young lord, and Arya of Gendry and some girl whose "bell he might go ring" to the point that even several chapters later she was still seething about it.

You and others may not have seen it, but the intention was there from GRRM and from the show, and many others have seen what was actually intended to be seen

I don't remember GRRM coming out and saying that arya and gendry were a thing. He never did that.

Also the bold can 100% be a brother and sister thing, in fact it fits that much better than a romantic undertone. and ultimately the show may give it a different spin than the book. Like I said previously the books do hint that arya might have had a thing for gendry but not the other way around. Gendry definitely liked arya but not in a romantic way.

A

You and others may not have seen it, but the intention was there from GRRM and from the show, and many others have seen what was actually intended to be seen.

How do you know what was intended? Did D&D or GRRM tell you? You can interpret scenes however you like, but "I can be your family" does not mean "let's get married, have sex, and have a bunch of babies" I have always interpreted Gendry as a way to show the difference in the quality of lives that bastards can live. As a way to compare how different Gendry and Jon Snow are even though both are bastards. If you interpreted Gendry and Arya as a sexual relationship and more than just brother and sister that's fine, but you don't know what was intended. Only the show writers and GRRM know and if you can find me a link where one of them has said that they intended to have Gendry and Arya have a romantic relationship then you can say intended instead of interpreted.

Exactly. I'm in the middle of a re-read now, and some of the denial seems ridiculous. I'm not so much into canon Arya and Gendry, but the notion that they weren't experiencing what we used to call "puppy love" in my day toward the end of Arya's time with the Brotherhood (which is NOT sexual, or disgusting at all) is easily disproven by quoting the scenes from

Acorn Hall and the Peach.

I began reading the books AFTER watching the first 4 seasons and looking askance at Arya/Gendry shippers because there's not a lot of evidence for it on the show other than perhaps a latent crush on her part. There's really not much in the GoT HBO series that shows Gendry sees Arya as anything other than a friend and a sister. But one of my close friends was totally into the pairing, and I looked at her like :ack: until she told me to read the books.

Book spoilers:

So I did, more because I wanted to know more about a lot of what Season 4 introduced (Oberyn, House Martell, the Night's King, etc). I went into my read predisposed to discount anything between Arya and Gendry. But in the actual ASOIAF novels, Arya and Gendry remind me so much of Rowling's Ron and Hermione (a couple that I cannot stand) that it's almost glaring. Arya's 10-11 and still a child, but Gendry's 15-16 and definitely a late bloomer. The sequence with Mel on the show did

not happen in the novels; book!Gendry is oblivious to the whores' interest in him at the Peach. In many ways, Gendry acts younger than his contemporaries Robb and Jon, which makes sense. Both of the Starks in his generation were raised to be Lords. Gendry is smallfolk; he was still apprenticing when forced from King's Landing, and is the type who prays to the Seven for a good harvest and a summer that never ends.

But in ASoS, Gendry is clearly jealous of Arya and Ned Dayne. At the Peach, he tells Arya he's going to sleep with one of the whores when he isn't... and it's not because she's his sister. In fact, Arya is annoyed when Gendry tells the old man who tries to proposition her that she's his sister. Then she gets angry at the idea of Gendry sleeping with one of the whores -- if you think her "he could ring all the bells he wanted" means Arya was indifferent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Their interactions point to something being possible later. NO ONE is saying that 15 year old Gendry wanted to have sex with 10 year old Arya... he didn't even want to have sex with girls his own age at a brothel... but they do have sparks and if they met again later, something could come of it, or not. That cannot be argued against after reading ACOK and ASOS.

GRRM even writes a ballad specifically about the situation and has Tom sing it, mockingly, after Gendry sniffs her, compliments her appearance, and they play-wrestle on the floor. Arya has older brothers, and that is not how she interacted with them, either on the page, or in any of their memories. Jon ruffles her hair and gives her Needle; she's ore fond of him than anyone else. Gendry gets on her nerves, as her other friends do, but unlike her interactions with Lommy and Hot Pie, there's more physicality and jealousy involved.

I'll close with one quote among many from Arya's POV: "Only Gendry was different."

There's nothing about their book interactions toward the end of the time with the Brotherhood that scream "sibling rivalry" unless you're one of those who thinks super famous pairs like Ron and Hermione from Harry Potter, and Han Solo and Princess Leia from Star Wars are brother and sister...

Unless you mean they're brother and sister in the Targaryen sense, that is. And even then, Gendry has a drop of dragon blood. Don't play. :cool4:

In fact, part of the reason why we didn't get those book scenes on the show is because they would have seemed inappropriate for show!Arya and show!Gendry, who have 10 years age difference between them, instead of the 5 that they have in the books (re-reading ACOK and ran into that line yesterday in Arya's POV where she's thinking about the age difference). And I noticed on this re-read that the show really toned down Gendry's language in ACOK when he revealed that he knows Arya's a girl. So it's clear that the showrunners are aware of the subtext in the books, and sought to avoid it by cleaning things up.

Archived