What's the point of Dorne?

Marcel

What I always found curious about S4 was Oberyn having spent years touring Essos, and being evasive about why when talking with Varys. For some reason I've always felt like it could mean he was there coaching fAegon. Of course, it doesn't seem to make any sense that Varys wouldn't know about it, but I can't imagine any other explanation unless he wasn't actually lying and in fact did it just to see the world. :dunno:

What I always found curious about S4 was Oberyn having spent years touring Essos, and being evasive about why when talking with Varys. For some reason I've always felt like it could mean he was there coaching fAegon. Of course, it doesn't seem to make any sense that Varys wouldn't know about it, but I can't imagine any other explanation unless he wasn't actually lying and in fact did it just to see the world. :dunno:

He was effectively exiled by Doran for plotting to crown Viserys and raise Dorne behind him iirc. He did have Doran's authority to get that marriage agreement signed though so I may be a bit fuzzy on details

First, if D&D keep "streamlining" the show to finish in seven seasons, it will probably ruin the series. I'm a supporter of Aegon being on the show, but it's most likely this season or never.

Trystane could take up the role of Aegon, but I think it's unlikely. He will probably take Quentyn's role and be offered to Dany.

Also, I think Myrcella may die accidentally in Dorne, since I believe all of Cercei's children will die before her. Bronn will also die this season, but I think Jaime will remain in Dorne and become a sort of mentor to Trystane, knowing that Myrcella had loved him

^The final two seasons are going to be very different to the books. D & D could do whatever they want and nobody will know until the books come out several years after its already ended. They are already heavily slimming down the story and adding in their own fanfic.

In 5 years time its not going to matter if Barristan chases Victarion to Westeros because he stole one of the dragons or Garlan Tyrell laying siege to King's Landing which has been taken by Aegon's forces. The show will be done and thats how millions of people will remember the story went. They'll never know about how much better it could have been with Aegon, Lady Stoneheart, Euron etc

I have a feeling that Jorah will be the one to be crispified by the dragon instead of Quentyn.

Nah, it will be Daario. They don't need the Second Sons once Dany flies to you-know-where and takes control of you-know-who. Jorah is likely to get greyscale and linger until s6.

Dorne is there for the same reason Braavos or Volantis is. GRRM simply likes to dive into the world he's created and come up with all sorts of places. I can't blame the show writers for being unable to hide the fact that there's some bloated stuff in the original story.

When trying to figure the role for Dorne, Maggy the Frog's prophecy keeps coming to mind for me. Myrcella must be crowned at some point so that she can then die and make way for Cersei's death. That means Tommen will have to die in order for Myrcella to be crowned. My guess is the Sand Snakes take out Tommen. Then Doran tries to appease Cersei's wrath by sending Myrcella back to KL with Jaime, and may even throw Trystane into the deal for good measure. Then Myrcella can be crowned.

Also, Dorne will probably play an important role when Dany gets to Westeros.

Oberyn was wroth to Rhaegar for abandoning Elia. Dorne could be expected to join Aegon and fight the Lannisters/Tyrells as it will be in the books. But since there is no Aegon in the show, there will be nothing to tie the Dornish to Dany's cause, unless Doran thinks that he could marry Trystane to Dany. That will of course be in ruins once he learns that Dany marries Hizdahr.

So, Trystane-Myrcella will probably be the equivalent of Aegon-Arianne and fight against Dany when she comes. That is the main point of Dorne: to give Dany something to fight and get busy while the Others advance in the North.

The only way to redeem the dorne storyline/not make it completely useless imo is if Trystane is revealed as Aegon and Jaime attempts to redeem his honor by becoming lord commander of his Kingsguard. I think it'll be revealed that Cersei lied to him in order to get him to Dorne and when she gets arrested by the faith and needs someone to defend her he'll refuse and stick with Myrcella and Trystane/Aegon

IMO the point of the Dorne plot is to get the sand snakes to King's Landing, and to set up Trystyne as serving some important role in the plot, possibly as a substitute for Aegon or Quentyn, or a mix of both.

Since my current theory is that Aegon will take the IT in the books, but Dany will arrive and roast him with her dragons, my guess is perhaps something similar will happen to Trystyne. But I really have nothing to go on there other than that Dany arriving and roasting whoever's sitting on the throne would be cool.

I think Dornish plotline sucks, because they cut the most interesting and pivotal character of Dorne. Who you may ask? It's none other than the most dangerous man in Dorne of course!

Agreed. At least the Sand Snakes are very campy so I like to think it was on purpose to channel a bit of everyone's favourite character who was sadly cut.

Yeah, the Dorne sub-plot this season has been dead on arrival, and I usually withhold judgment on new or heavily edited plotlines until the end of the season. Can't do that with Dorne. It's just been bad from the word go.

Ellaria is comically vengeful. I can't even see her taking on the role of Arianne with the way they've depicted her so far. If her plan was to queen Myrcella, I could roll with that, but her entire plan seems to be "hey, let's abduct this teenage girl who has nothing to do with anything except for being Cersei's daughter and torture/dismember her slowly to get revenge for my beau, who got killed in a fair fight he volunteered for! YAY VENGEANCE!!!" I can't take it seriously.

The Sand Snakes have been awful since their introduction. They look and act like they belong on a different show. Of all the characters that have suffered due to the slimming and merging of plotlines and the decision to adapt two 1,000 page novels in ten episodes, their characters have suffered the most. They are without doubt the most one-dimensional characters that Game of Thrones has ever portrayed. I mean, the only thing Obara has done so far is tell people who she is. That's it!

And surprisingly and most disappointingly, Jaime and Bronn have not been the pairing I'd hoped they would be. In fairness, they've only had a little bit more screen time than the Sand Snakes, but again, that all comes down to trying to do too much in far too few episodes.

Four more episodes to turn it around, but whereas I've maintained optimism before, this time I just don't see it happening.

Archived