Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens ( Thread C-3PO )

Bluetiger

I was writing the same thread :o We are home.

Anyway, I know that it might be silly but do you thing that they will try to involve EU after a fashion?

Spoilers from the comics and books.

Knowing the EU and seeing what they said about Rey being a scavenger she may be something like Ania Solo, or

the best friggen pilot in the galaxy Poe Dameron could be someone like Jag? Also I think that the woman who was taking the saber might be Leia when Luke was talking to his kind of Ben (Domhnall Gleeson).

I was writing the same thread :o We are home.

Anyway, I know that it might be silly but do you thing that they will try to involve EU after a fashion?

Spoilers from the comics and books.

Knowing the EU and seeing what they said about Rey being a scavenger she may be something like Ania Solo, or

the best friggen pilot in the galaxy Poe Dameron could be someone like Jag? Also I think that the woman who was taking the saber might be Leia when Luke was talking to his kind of Ben (Domhnall Gleeson).

I suspect they'll take inspiration from the EU (they already seem to have done so, judging my Kylo Ren's mask,), but I doubt we'll see any direct adaptations, on the whole. I wouldn't be surprised to see some familiar plotlines - such as the survival of a particular jet-pack toting character - or perhaps the odd character or two in a very rough sense. I wouldn't expect much more than that though.

As for the descriptions of Rey and Poe, I think they're too generic to draw too much from them, as the descriptions could apply to dozens of characters. I'd say that it's most likely coincidence if we see some similarities.

I hope they will say that Kylo's mask & armor is his homage to Darth Revan.

Was Revan in any "new canon" source?

I remember that

Darth Bane was in Yoda's vision in CW season 6

No, I don't believe so. They also confirmed the other day that none of the Old Republic (Bioware) universe is canon, but also said that they wouldn't rewrite it. They also didn't rule out it exploring that era of the timeline though. Source.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, this is apparently from the next magazine issue. Awesome that that's Gwendoline Christie's character.

I was just about to post that one :D She looks great doesn't she. If her character is as cool as her costume, she'll be hugely popular I think. Gwendoline Christie now has two roles that will probably be cosplay favourites for years :)

Vanity Fair has character photos. Not sure about Kylo Ren, but the rest looks good. Especially all the puppet aliens.

Damn, those are great. I particularly like the Poe Dameron one. Oscar Isaac is such a great actor. Love Daisy Ridley's accent as well. I hope she keeps it in the movie, despite her probable parentage :p

Kylo Ren is essentially Jon Snow in that picture, down to the long face. Very little sense of character at the moment, but I'm hoping for an aggressive, impetuous and unpredictable-type Sith. Sort of Anakin in Revenge of the Sith without all the whiny crap.

Oscar Isaac looks cool. The X-Wing scenes in the teasers were awesome, so more of that please. Anyone know if he'll be in Rogues?

We don't really see anything new with Daisy Ridley or Lupita Nyong'a which is kind of a shame and kind of not. I am worried about too much being exposed before the film, I'd like to go in with some element of mystery. That said, I will keep clicking every link that goes up in this thread.

Gwendoline Christie looks fucking awesome. Whoever's idea it was to add the cloak deserves a pat on the back.

I think it's really unlikely that Isaac will be in Rogue One (it's set somewhere in the region of 35 years prior to The Force Awakens remember.) ETA: Also, look for them to make a conscious distinction between the Episodes and the Anthology movies.

As for the rumours and exposure, what I'll say is that there have been some very, very, detailed rumours floating around on Reddit and other places. So far they've had a very high accuracy rate.

And cloaks always look awesome.

So... have I been under a rock? I didn't know that the Rebel Alliance was now called

The Resistance

That's a drastic deviance from the EU certainly. I guess the implication is that the Empire is still the driving force in the Galaxy and our heroes are still the underdogs.

Was surprising to me.

So... have I been under a rock? I didn't know that the Rebel Alliance was now called

The Resistance

That's a drastic deviance from the EU certainly. I guess the implication is that the Empire is still the driving force in the Galaxy and our heroes are still the underdogs.

Was surprising to me.

Hard to say at the moment. The Empire seems to have been re-organized into the First Order, but the pictures today referred to a "secret base," on a frozen wasteland. Not sure whether that means they're small or if it's like a secret research base. Either way, it sounds like The Resistance is far less organized and powerful than the New Republic.

Huh I clearly haven't been paying enough attention I thought Cristie was going to be a Sith.

I did too, I think. Guess the question is whether she's a top officer for them (gotta assume that cape means she's important) or is going to be with the good guys, like John Boyega.

The Resistance

Was surprising to me.

Well, the Empire is apparently now called 'The First Order' which implies that its gone through quite a shake up itself post-ROTJ. But I guess it managed to stay on top of things.

My question though, and maybe this is a settled question in SW lore, is where did any new Sith come from? If there's only supposed to be two at a time and the Emperor and Vader both died, who trained Kylo Ren or any other Sith in the movie?

My question though, and maybe this is a settled question in SW lore, is where did any new Sith come from? If there's only supposed to be two at a time and the Emperor and Vader both died, who trained Kylo Ren or any other Sith in the movie?

Outside of highly spoilerish rumours there hasn't really been too much info regarding where they might have come from. The whole Rule of Two business never held water in the EU (non-canon), but seemingly did from Phantom onwards with Yoda and Mace referencing it in Phantom. Of course, then we had The Clone Wars (canon,) which seems to have muddied the waters a lot:

The Clone Wars Spoilers

There were at least five major Dark siders (at once) during the Clone Wars series - Darth Maul, his brother Savage Opress, their compatriot Asajj Ventress, Dooku and Sidious - so it's probably safe to say that the canon in this area is... somewhat complicated

Having said that, the ragged look of Ren's lightsaber might be an indication that he had no formal training or master and picked it up from somewhere on his own. Or there could be another character we don't know about. We don't really have a lot to go on at this point.

Archived