Diplomacraft: The North Year 0002, Turn 5 (Months 1-3)

Leonardo

Just because I fry babies in butter with a hint of garlic doesn't make me any less human! :p

And this does change the landscape a bit... when will we find out what/who's going down?

I smell blood.

Some people might....though that is still a little premature

I guess I'll give my two cents.... Mostly in a fatalist fashion there is a strong chance that will force me out of the game (so I'm not gone just yet). There is a chance that I will be able to continue, which is something that I hope, but it is mostly a "wait and see" over the next couple of days. I'll have an answer soon, but for now please don't consider me out just yet (Sorry that I didn't elaborate on that in our PM's Leo, I was in a bit more of a fatalist outlook then).

MID TURN, YEAR 0002, (Months 1-2)

The Morning Mist over Karhold

"Adaric is an upstart and has shown myself and House Long covert disrespect while giving us empty honors, but I'll be damned if I'll allow Boltons and Manderlys to begin torching my crops and raping my lands. Send the ravens, send the riders, and flay any Bolton seen. Let it be known they are not the only ones who can wield a sharp knife" it is rumored Lord Long said at court when informed of the marching Bolton/Manderly/Flint army. He then made his way through the lands of the Umbers where he found little support amongst the Giant's vassals and then proceeded to Winterfell. Said host was set upon by raiders and made slow going through the forests of Karhold, but are currently besieging the mighty castle. They have taken casualties but still number over 5000 and are lead by Lord Crow Flint and the deserter Larence Bolton. They can be seen drilling from the battlements of Karhold, and without reinforcements the castle may soon fall to assault, regardless of how formidable it is, with rocks being fired from catapults all hours of the day. Lyanna Bolton has refused to write any letters, apparently made of sterner stuff than expected.

Upon first arriving the castle was attempted to be taken in a fast night assault, but by morning the forces had fallen back, well bloodied by the valiant defenders and almost no casualites were taken by the Karstarks.

The Manderly ships arrived in force with Lord Flint at the helm one bleak morning and smashed the small Karstark fleet. Two Manderly warships were sunk, but the port has now fallen to invaders at the cost of almost five hundred supporters of the Flayed Man.

THE WALL:

Lady Selyse Bolton received a raven while breaking her fast one morning. While her face was stern and long upon being handed the missive, a wicked grin soon split it and she was heard laughing as she consigned it to a fire. "The Watch has no tooth long enough to reach the Dreadfort it seems. Let them pratter while my nuncle walks free of the chains laid upon him by the Starks. This Lord Commander may have icewater in his veins, but such a cold current seems to have frozen him solid."

Meanwhile, the wall plays host to Lannister artisans and begins learning their various crafts as they size up the wall, which is "nothing short of the single greatest architectural achievement in Westeros." They marvel at its size and greatness while introducing the art of glass blowing and superior ways to work steel. The brothers are slow to learn, but on the wall time is commodity in great abundance.

======

BEAR ISLAND:

"I name Lord Lyman Mormont my regent and give him supreme command of Stark forces, as well as name him Hand of the King" pronounced the newly crowne Jorah Stark, the first of his name, as Lord Lyman knelt before the new King in the North. Soon after half of the host under Lord Ryswell arrived under the Stark banner with word of the fall of Barrowton's last bastion of fortitude, Goldengrass. The host now gathered at Winterfell under Lord Mormont now numbers over 4000 fighting men, 700 of which are ahorse. Word of the siege of Karhold has now reached Winterfell with Lord Long, and after a failed infiltration by the Bolton forces, the Stark loyalists are clamoring for the relief of the strongest of the Stark supporters and the godfather of the king, Adaric Karstark.

The lands of House Stark are being heavily raided, with trade almost completely disrupted by said raiders and the lands burnt and pillaged; House Mormont now control Winterfell and thus is expected to deal with matters of governance and war...

======

THE RILLS:

With the inaction of Lord Mathis, half of the host under him has gone to Winterfell where the remaining Stark loyalists are gathered. With the fall of Barrowton, Sable Town has become the largest settlement this side of the North and many refugees flock to it. It's infrastructure continues to grow and improve

======

KARHOLD:

Jorah Stark spends much of his time in the company of the Karstarks. His aunt has been effectively estranged from him as he seeks comfort in his friend Atheld Karstark and his kin, Mirisima. He is a lonely and sad child, his nights filled with nightmares and visions without a clear line between the two. He cried once for his father but naught a tear since has been spilled, claiming he knew that this was coming. He is too frail to bear the greatsword of his house, Ice, but Atheld has managed to gain a grasp of swordsmanship with the oversized blade as his liege looks on. Atheld is a dutiful friend in the king's time of need, but there is not much fondness for the new wolf king. They are brought together in death and mourning however, as both idolized King Brandon, whose bones have now been laid to rest in the crypts beneath Winterfell.

Karhold is under siege by the Bolton/Manderly/Flint forces and will not last long without reinforcements despite its strength as a castle with the sheer numbers of the host, which grows greater every day as more bannermen flock to join the cause of the Flayed Man. There is much rumor and dissent among them though with Larence having deserted the watch, breaking one of the oldest customs in the North. His prowess as a commander cannot be denied, and he is arguably the most feared man or woman in the North. Instead of raising banners he raises the flayed skins of Karhold smallfolk within sight of the castle, and has been heard to say he means to make "a coat of Karstarks."

======

WIDOW'S WATCH:

The Karstark fleet has been smashed and Lord Crow is now helping to lead the Bolton coaltion's forces in the siege of Karhold. However, it is known that the rather sizable levy gathered by the Karstarks is most likely hiding in the surrounding lands, as the castle is not anywhere near as stoutly defended as was expected. The castle will soon fall, either by assault or by surrender without reinforcements.

Silk has begun to be traded throughout the north, and House Flint is now recognized as the foremost producer this side of Westeros. At night the hammering of pickaxes can be heard rattling up from the depths of the mines beneath Widow's Watch, and the work there can no longer be concealed from the rest of the North with so much manpower being poured into the efforts. While it is not known exactly what is occurring in the once abandoned mines, word spreads of a vast network of tunnels that is quickly growing...

======

THE FREE FOLK:

Theon was building a fire for the night when he heard Aly's intake of breath, and turned to see what looked like a small child peering from behind a tree. Though his knowledge of the Old Tongue is minimal, he soon discerns the children wish for the return of "their" horn. They claim they can work great magics with it, and that this was the horn that shattered the neck and the arm of Dorne. It is a relic from before the age of heroes, and upon hearing it was traded to the giants they hiss in anger and soon scamper away. They have not shown themselves since.

Swygert has become the de facto leader of Bronze Bee and Ruddy Hall in the absence of Theon and Aly(they returned after three weeks). He is rapidly becoming one of the most important figures beyond the wall despite his youth. Under the guidance of Rodrik, he has also learned a deal about organized warfare.

The first of the steel has begun to be produced at Bronze Bee. It is crude but as time goes on the work is getting finer as Oblio learns better ways to work the bog iron. It has been mostly tools so far, but a fine helm has been made for Swygert in the likeness of a human skull.

Rodrik has contracted pneumonia; with the lack of medical knowledge beyond the wall, he is not expected to fare well in the coming weeks without assistance from a professional. His work with Mellario on Antler Harbour is beginning to bear fruit thankfully, and trade with the free cities has begun despite their troubles in war. They are rapidly seeing the potential of the free folk and no longer view them as typical savages, embracing their stance on slavery and independence. However, they are being forced to take wide routes around Skaagos and trade would increase if the routes could be more policed...

======

SKAAGOS:

"The Starks will tolerate no other kings among the Northmen. King Gorne must bend the knee and surrender his crown, or there will be no mercy from the wolves of Winterfell" said Jorah Stark upon meeting with his councillors after receiving a missive from the Skaagosi.

Queen Harma was nearly mauled by one of the great lions before her hunters managed to bring the beast down, her faithful stag jumping in to impale the lion with its antlers. He was wounded but is expected to recover under the care of Harma. They are currently being hunted to extinction and the unicorn population is all the better for it. The isle is extremely busy and the people growing more and more wary as foreigners cross the land. Trade has begun to decline after several merchants have been made into a fine dinner, and it is becoming clear the Skaagosi at large oppose such changes regardless of profit or benefit.

A royal fleet has begun to form as the business of building ships begins to pick up, though it is far from a force to be reckoned with outside of raiding. Without a great deal more gold however it will be impossible to move forward with the cost of lumber rising.

Cassana Umber has already begun to show signs of pregnancy and smiles often, though it is clear this is sometimes feigned and she shies away from many Skaagosi customs, such as "Merchant Mutton".

======

LAST HEARTH:

"My knees are getting a bit stiffer in my old days, but they still hold me up pretty good. So I don’t mean to kneel any longer... The Umber kings of old are reborn, but not just through me.. Through all of us.. We all share the same blood, my grandfather married Lake, my wife is a Holt.. Aye, we’ve all got a little of the same blood running through us. I’m making all of our blood royal again. House Holt you’ll have my son, rule as king when I’m gone.. House Moss I mean to marry my daughter to you… and House Lake, I took one of your sons, now I give you one mine. I’ll marry my son, to your daughter. We'll all have kings, queens, princes and princesses in our families.

Now if I don’t have your attention and loyalty.. if I haven’t proven that I’m not weak and I’ve not made us weak.. then walk out.. the rest of you, we have business.."

The Brotherhood of the Brine has been smashed by the far greater host of the Umbers. Almost half of their might was gathered, and the taste of blood has whetted many an appetite. Lord Holt was killed by Ulric and his son ascended to his position, but the head of the bandit was paraded around much of the night during the feast and his skull has now become the drinking cup of the new Lord Holt. The Umber vassals' confidence in their liege has been restored and with the crowning of the Giant king has raised more support amongst his vassals than it has eyebrows of the North. With the coming war and the donning of this crown, it is soon expected the Umbers will make their play, and not in favor of the Wolves of Winterfell...

=====

MOUNTAIN CLANS

The lords of the mountain have sent men to claim the lands along the North road. It is a heavily forested area and sparsely populated. What small lords and landed knights reigning over the lands have quickly been cowed into submission after contemplation of the might of the clansmen. The plans for settlements have begun, but could be greatly expedited with the spending of gold and the ushering in of supplies and people...

Representatives of Wyman Liddle have been seen at the courts of the both the Skaagosi and Umbers, the the clansmen having no fear of giants or flesh eaters. The surge of support in favor of the old traditions has now firmly established a third faction in the North separate from the Boltons and Stark supporters, and the power to defy the wolves is much in evidence. Wyman Liddle is currently at Winterfell however, and likely will not be allowed to leave without notice...

=====

Let me know if I missed anything or anyone, been a veeeeery busy time for me with all of the changes my brother having this baby has brought. If I've made mistakes point em out and I'll fix em, but remember that with any endeavor there is always a chance for failure no matter how much preparation goes into things.

Now off to relax, good luck in your warfare and intrigues ;D

• 2 weeks later...

If people are wondering about the state of the game...

I figured out recently that my job is essentially not a job at all, and that I won't be paid for 2 weeks of work because the guy running it is a con/scam artist and has completely screwed over me and several other employees. I am now scrambling to get things together and may even lose my house because of it.

Just an explanation for the lack of updates :frown5:

If people are wondering about the state of the game...

I figured out recently that my job is essentially not a job at all, and that I won't be paid for 2 weeks of work because the guy running it is a con/scam artist and has completely screwed over me and several other employees. I am now scrambling to get things together and may even lose my house because of it.

Just an explanation for the lack of updates :frown5:

Take care of your personal life and don't worry about this. Keeping your real castle is far more important then us keeping our fake ones.

Archived