are these thoughts necessary?

Wise Fool

As my grandfather used to say: "Don't drop the oars in the river, lad."

Don't raise your head, just accept. A piece of 'humour' 'wisdom' from the hyper-rich governmental propaganda ministry in a Orwellian-Huxleyian dying 'system'.

@WF- Are you at all concerned that by verbalizing thoughts you may start to privilege verbalizable thoughts? And maybe you are missing out on some evocative grunts or watercolors of rainbows and carefree fluttering birds? But maybe those birds aren't so carefree, their songs a desperate plea to secure territory and waning resources, their hatchlings slaughtered thoughtlessly by bored housecats let out to stretch their legs. Death is everywhere. There's a thought! Also a Depeche Mode lyric. The question remains, though, is Depeche Mode necessary?

Are thoughts actually ever completely vebalizable? I posted here once about whether we think in language, I see it as an ability to shape and give a perspective on something. Some would like to think language describes the world, when it actually shapes and gives a perspective, as WF says when he quotes Kierkegaard the danger is to not realizing we diminish the multiverse when we use language, but I would add it also has the ability to increase what is a participatory beyond anything we can name.

The Participatory Anthropic Principle, or PAP, is the idea that the universe requires observers, because without observers the universe could not actually exist. This controversial claim is based on the traditional Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics, which requires an act of observation to resolve the superposition of states in a quantum wavefunction. It is one particularly intriguing variant of the anthropic principle................

..........We are participators in bringing into being not only the near and here but the far away and long ago. We are in this sense, participators in bringing about something of the universe in the distant past and if we have one explanation for what's happening in the distant past why should we need more?

http://physics.about.com/od/physicsmtop/g/ParticipatoryAnthropicPrinciple.htm

Let's say you have a thought. You already did, of course. Let's say you had another one. Did you need to? What if you didn't? Would you have just used the last thought instead? I don't see why I'm thinking anything particularly important, that is relevant or meaningful to anyone. But then who is anyone? Anyone reading? It's interesting, you see, because clearly there's a limit on thoughts. You can't have too many thoughts, or else they all won't fit. So the decision to have some of these thoughts be General Chatter on the ASOIAF forum - dealing with this "Wise Fool" person's rantings - is a particularly interesting choice because there are, ostensibly, so many other things worth commenting on! So you stay and that means reality starts bending toward a certain direction by just a bit for a little while, because those thoughts that happened. It might not be much, but literally everything just changed. It's all a joke of course, because - and I shit you not - the question of whether any thoughts are worth having, or activities are worth doing, etc, are all merely variants of that philosophical challenge whether or not to "be" at all.

Is anything necessary? What if it all stopped? Would we be able to tell the difference? I think not, On the other hand, it's not stopping. We're going on all the time. Reality, you see, is like acne, and this moment in time is like the ripe pimple prone to bursting. Every moment is like that. Every place, person and thing! The tip of the spear.

Not stopping anytime soon. Things keep growing, and growing. This is life, this is universe, this is God, this is ego and Self and mind and spirit and personhood. A stick of bubble gum - curled back onto itself. We are the sugary heads of the greatest gum, touching each other, looking at each other. Reality continues to happen!

It's bloody necessary if it needs to be posted. Don't know why though.

Retrospectively, they were not necessary, because I can imagine having gone on with other thoughts instead, it's pretty easy to do. They merely felt necessary at the time.

Thought of the day: YOU ARE REALITY EATING ITSELF.

And it tastes like eggplant.

As my grandfather used to say: "Don't drop the oars in the river, lad."

My grandfathers both died before I was born, but my mother's father is noted for saying 'You can think in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up first' along with 'you can't heat the outdoors'.

While my aunt thinks the first just means your thoughts aren't worth shit, I think he being deeper and colloquially laying out the difference between theory and practice.

While my aunt thinks the first just means your thoughts aren't worth shit, I think he being deeper and colloquially laying out the difference between theory and practice.

I imagine these sayings are descriptive rather than prescriptive, and that their wisdom is largely situational rather than generally applicable. Or, less concisely, I would say that both you and your Aunt are correct, depending on context, and that the truth of the statement is applied by your experience rather than by some inherent wisdom.

Archived