decisions regarding end of life and handling of remains

Quorra

Have you thought about this for yourself, or have you been put in the position to think about this for others?

I don't want to bring anyone down, but it is something I've thought about before for myself and others and I think it is important to take into consideration, even if death seems immediately unlikely. It is certain, after-all, and no one knows when.

What have you considered or dealt with? What are your thoughts?

I welcome all comments. Please share any experiences, opinions, or knowledge you may have.

Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on memorial objects?
  2. What are your thoughts on laws about how people are allowed to handle these things - both the end-of-life choices and the handling of the body's remains?

To get specific about why I personally started this thread:

I personally would like to be cremated and my ashes scattered amongst humpback whales. The person doing this for me would probably need to go on whale watching tours until a successful encounter occurs, then scatter them, hopefully during feeding or mating when they're really active - although it's possibly dangerous to be close to them while mating.

I'm not sure if that's legal but I'd ask them to do it anyway, surreptitiously. Maybe they could pretend to sneeze and blow my remains overboard. Just whisper "farewell" and it's done.

There is something specific I have planned for my brother which we agreed on together. We're not sure how arrange the logistics. It involves outdoor cremation but also a very specific element that may be more difficult to incorporate.

I've found one company in Colorado http://www.crestone-end-of-life.org/ that does outdoor funeral pyre cremation ceremonies and from what I can gather, this service is rare. This is possibly the only facility of its kind.

"The funeral pyre is constructed from a concrete and brick-lined hearth topped with a steel grate. A body is ordinarily wrapped in a simple linen cloth, and then surrounded by juniper logs and branches. If they so wish, the family can place the torch to the funeral pyre."

I want to be cremated as well, chiefly because I cannot abide the notion of my corpse being put on public display for viewing. It's a practice I find disgusting, and in my thankfully limited funerary experience not the least bit comforting. Probably sounds crass but I couldn't care less what they do with my ashes, either. Maybe fertilize a newly planted tree? At least then the remains would be doing some good to the world. Since I'll be dead, I doubt I'll care one way or the other. :lol:

There's all sorts of stories about how people want done with their ashes - I've heard stories about people wanting to be dumped out at football stadiums, etc. I don't personally see anything wrong with it. They're just ashes; any interpretation beyond that seems silly to me.

I am unconcerned about what happens to my body after I die. I have some vague requests laid out to help the living along, like sending my body off to science or cremation, just something that requires the least amount of time and hassle for those dealing with my rotting corpse. But it all really depends on who takes control of my body after I die. The handling of my decomposing flesh has everything to do with the people who are living and nothing to do with me. I won't know and I won't care so beyond laying out some general preferences I'm not all that concerned.

I have no sentimentality whatsoever about what's done with my dead body. I just read recently about "liquid cremation" and it seems like it's the way to go. If my body is of any medical or scientific use before that, then I'd like it to be made of use before cremation.

But I'm pretty young and I'm hoping immortality is worked out before it comes to that. :P

Oh god yes. My family and I talk about this all the time, it's important to know where everyone stands. I want a green burial, if at all possible. My parents both want to be cremated and their ashes scattered in the sea. Everyone's cool with organ donation, except the corneas (on which we are all in agreement, that's a bit too freaky). We've even had casual conversations about what songs we want played at our funerals.

Have you thought about this for yourself, or have you been put in the position to think about this for others?

I don't want to bring anyone down, but it is something I've thought about before for myself and others and I think it is important to take into consideration, even if death seems immediately unlikely. It is certain, after-all, and no one knows when.

What have you considered or dealt with? What are your thoughts?

I welcome all comments. Please share any experiences, opinions, or knowledge you may have.

Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on memorial objects?

What are your thoughts on laws about how people are allowed to handle these things - both the end-of-life choices and the handling of the body's remains?

To get specific about why I personally started this thread:

I personally would like to be cremated and my ashes scattered amongst humpback whales. The person doing this for me would probably need to go on whale watching tours until a successful encounter occurs, then scatter them, hopefully during feeding or mating when they're really active - although it's possibly dangerous to be close to them while mating.

I'm not sure if that's legal but I'd ask them to do it anyway, surreptitiously. Maybe they could pretend to sneeze and blow my remains overboard. Just whisper "farewell" and it's done.

These guys do whale watching and ashes scattering, they might be up for doing both simultaneously. There can be some environmentally damaging chemicals in human ashes, though, so I'd check that out if I were you - making whales ill would be a pretty crappy final act!

These guys do whale watching and ashes scattering, they might be up for doing both simultaneously. There can be some environmentally damaging chemicals in human ashes, though, so I'd check that out if I were you - making whales ill would be a pretty crappy final act!

Hey, thanks! I think I have looked at that site before, it seems familiar.

As to the chemicals: didn't know that! Thank you!

I wonder if the outdoor pyre cremation eliminates the chemicals. I guess I'd have to ask. The pyre results in approximately 5 gallons of ashes total which are presented to the survivors - being that they can't separate the human remains from the remains of the other burned materials.

I am unconcerned about what happens to my body after I die. I have some vague requests laid out to help the living along, like sending my body off to science or cremation, just something that requires the least amount of time and hassle for those dealing with my rotting corpse. But it all really depends on who takes control of my body after I die. The handling of my decomposing flesh has everything to do with the people who are living and nothing to do with me. I won't know and I won't care so beyond laying out some general preferences I'm not all that concerned.

So, if your loved ones would be most comforted by having a big funeral with your embalmed body on display and erecting an expensive memorial and all that. You'd be ok with that.

Oh god yes. My family and I talk about this all the time, it's important to know where everyone stands. I want a green burial, if at all possible. My parents both want to be cremated and their ashes scattered in the sea. Everyone's cool with organ donation, except the corneas (on which we are all in agreement, that's a bit too freaky). We've even had casual conversations about what songs we want played at our funerals.

What songs did you decide on?

So, if your loved ones would be most comforted by having a big funeral with your embalmed body on display and erecting an expensive memorial and all that. You'd be ok with that.

I wouldn't know about it. Being dead, I'd also lack an ability to care.

I have no sentimentality whatsoever about what's done with my dead body. I just read recently about "liquid cremation" and it seems like it's the way to go. If my body is of any medical or scientific use before that, then I'd like it to be made of use before cremation.

But I'm pretty young and I'm hoping immortality is worked out before it comes to that. :P

Hey thanks for linking to this. I was previously unaware of this practice and it sounds environmentally kinder. Although, being that it is newer and less frequently used, I'm assuming its pretty expensive.

Cremation, burials, it's all so expensive! It's a business.

I wouldn't know about it. Being dead, I'd also lack an ability to care.

But don't you care about other things that will happen in the world after you are dead, which might affect other people still alive after you are gone? Not to say that your ambivalence about your own remains naturally extends to an ambivalence about the rest of the world - I'm just logically extending your principle.

Actually, what I'd really like is to have everything usable removed, a hole dug, my remains dropped in, and a tree planed over my corpse. Hopefully, it would grow well and strong.

Almost everything could conceivably be usable as calories for carrion. Once the cleaned skeleton is left, I'm sure the calcium from your bones could feed the tree. What kind of tree?

But don't you care about other things that will happen in the world after you are dead, which might affect other people still alive after you are gone? Not to say that your ambivalence about your own remains naturally extends to an ambivalence about the rest of the world - I'm just logically extending your principle.

I don't think that it logically follows that my uncaring about my rotting body means I don't care about other things after I'm dead. The thing is, what happens to the dead is about the living and what they want and what they care about. The only thing is has to do with me is that it's my body and they are grieving because my body died. The way they choose to grieve and handle my corpse is on them, not me. Of course, I can give my preferences, but they aren't obligated to comply. I don't feel any sense of ownership over my own corpse.

Well my organs will be donated and I want to be cremated. Don't really care what will happen to my ashes, tbh.

My grandparents raised me and we've had this talk about what to do with their remains. Both want to be cremated. They are in their 70's, and have purchased their urns. I have already had plans to keep any love one who is cremated, on my person at all times. I bought a small "urn" that is basically a cross necklace. The top unscrews and you can put your loved ones ashes in there. I will put a tiny bit of anyone who is close to me in there. Maybe its a little corny, but I am a deeply loyal person and very close to them. Sorta my way to keep their memory alive, so to say.

Well my organs will be donated and I want to be cremated. Don't really care what will happen to my ashes, tbh.

My grandparents raised me and we've had this talk about what to do with their remains. Both want to be cremated. They are in their 70's, and have purchased their urns. I have already had plans to keep any love one who is cremated, on my person at all times. I bought a small "urn" that is basically a cross necklace. The top unscrews and you can put your loved ones ashes in there. I will put a tiny bit of anyone who is close to me in there. Maybe its a little corny, but I am a deeply loyal person and very close to them. Sorta my way to keep their memory alive, so to say.

Why is it, do you think, that it be something physical that is tied to their remains? Would it feel different if it was just a chosen necklace that you decided to associate with them, and not a container for their actual remains?

I don't feel any sense of ownership over my own corpse.

I think this is where I disagree, when it comes to my own remains, because it is something I can control, something that does affect the earth and environment, and I can express my desires and demands so therefore it's my responsibility. I guess any absence of choice or deferring to others feels like a shirking of that responsibility.

Archived