decisions regarding end of life and handling of remains

Quorra

Why is it, do you think, that it be something physical that is tied to their remains? Would it feel different if it was just a chosen necklace that you decided to associate with them, and not a container for their actual remains?

I seen someone that had one before and thought it was a great thing. I dunno, just to keep em around so to say. I thought it would be a great way to honor them. When my biological parent split and both went through a hard time, my grandparents were there to make sure I was raised in a stable situation. A huge sacrifice in my eyes, when they already raised their own children. My way of showing my respect for them.

I think this is where I disagree, when it comes to my own remains, because it is something I can control, something that does affect the earth and environment, and I can express my desires and demands so therefore it's my responsibility. I guess any absence of choice or deferring to others feels like a shirking of that responsibility.

But you're dead. You can't control anything. Sure, you can offer up your preferences (as I stated I have done), but your mourners aren't obligated to follow them. They can change them if they want or if someone objects, they can be taken to court and your remains sit in a resource sucking freezer until a court decides if your living wishes supercede your loved one's right to grieve as they desire.

Of course, the mourner's desires might overlap the dead person's preferences and that's where the actual control is. To an extent, you can control the sort of people who are in your life. You can choose your friends and your partner, you can teach your children. You can teach your siblings and your parents to think about the environment in a sustainable way. It doesn't always work out perfectly. The mourner might still want something different since dealing with your death is about them, not you. Whatever they choose doesn't change the choices you made in your life. It doesn't negate the way you treated the earth.

But you're dead. You can't control anything. Sure, you can offer up your preferences (as I stated I have done), but your mourners aren't obligated to follow them. They can change them if they want or if someone objects, they can be taken to court and your remains sit in a resource sucking freezer until a court decides if your living wishes supercede your loved one's right to grieve as they desire.

Of course, the mourner's desires might overlap the dead person's preferences and that's where the actual control is. To an extent, you can control the sort of people who are in your life. You can choose your friends and your partner, you can teach your children. You can teach your siblings and your parents to think about the environment in a sustainable way. It doesn't always work out perfectly. The mourner might still want something different since dealing with your death is about them, not you. Whatever they choose doesn't change the choices you made in your life. It doesn't negate the way you treated the earth.

Well, now that does make sense. You are quite philosophical.

I'd like everything usable to go to someone who can use it but the idea or Med students making jokes about my body as they disect it in a gross anatomy lab gives me the willies.

I tutor other med students in anatomy through dissections and for what it's worth making jokes about the bodies is pretty much the most efficient way of getting kicked out and banned.

I'd like to be cremated. Donate whatever usable parts to whoever wants them. In high school I read This Side of Paradise, pretty much all I remember from it is that the main character's wishes for how his remains would be handled were "slow oxidation at the top of a tree." I always kind of liked that.

My mom makes custom glass beads with a bit of ashes in them. Then the bead can be worn on a necklace, etc. This is pretty popular with not just the remains of people but with pets.

I have thought about this a lot, having lost several family members and friends in quick succession. I don't find it morbid at all, in fact I think it's pretty practical.

I would donate my organs, and then I'd like to be cremated. I have a thing about not keeping ashes around, so I'd like to be scattered in the sea, preferably in Plymouth, as it means a lot to me during life. My partner knows all of this, and knowing him, he's likely to stick to my wishes, should he be around to execute them.

I'd also like a green funeral, and as cheap as it can be - I find the cost of funerals to be extortionate, so no flowers, no fancy shit, just a simple box, a fire, and jobs a goodun. Though a funeral pyre does sound pretty damn awesome.

My biggest conundrum would be what to do with my extensive book collection. I guess I'd be happy for them to be auctioned off to raise money for an animal charity, or to be passed along to local libraries or schools.

I am young, and haven't thought much about this really. I am on the organ donor register though, so at least that is done.

I suppose I would be cremated. I think I would like my ashes scattered (or whatever the right word would be in this case. Maybe interred?) in the plot of land in the cemetery where my maternal grandmother's family have been buried. This is most likely what will happen to my mam, and we did the same with my granddad too. I'm not sure why, but I just feel this is what I'd want (right now. I may of course feel differently in years to come)

Edit: I would also prefer a very cheap funeral. But I guess if it was going to help my loved ones cope with the loss by having something fancier I wouldn't object when we planned my funeral :dunno:

In all reality - i want my organs donated and i wanna be buried bcus i want to be a skeleton one day

would you be cool with someone digging it up one day and using your skeleton in a reasonable way?

I ask, because I really would like to create accessories made from bones and it's a total bummer that it's frowned upon.

I think bones are cool and have no problem with ethical bone collecting

My nan has a super neat rams skull at her cottage

I finding dancing animations of skeletons hilarious so if anyone wanted to make SPoooooOOOOOOky puppet have at it

I mean i honestly wouldnt care...as id be dead

It think a Viking funeral would be pretty great for the bereft. EVERYONE GETS A FIRE ARROW!!!

Lo there do I see my father;

Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers;

Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.

Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Archived