decisions regarding end of life and handling of remains

Quorra

Speak for yourself. I need only to complete the crafting of my phylactery and from that point on I shall rule forever as the Lich-King of Oklahoma.

the Lich-King of Oklahoma would be an awesome custom title haha.

As for me I want to be cremated, the thought of me rotting freaks me out. As for where the ashes are to be scattered I have a couple ideas but haven't settled on one place yet.

This has been a regular topic lately between my boyfriend and I because we have a friend with terminal cancer who is making these decisions right now, and we also just finished watching Six Feet Under.

For me, donate all my organs, cremate me, and then toss me out to sea. I'd also be open to a green burial with a tree planted or a sky burial would be cool, but I do not want any viewing or any preservation. Most importantly, I do not want any religious service and I'm so dead set (pun intended) against it that I am going to outline it in my will.

I don't think about it too much but I don't want a viewing either. I would prefer people remember me as an alive guy and not a dead guy. My dad claims that he wants me to just dig a hole in the backyard and roll him on in there because he thinks wasting money on a dead guy is silly, but I don't think the rest of the family (or the law for that matter) will allow me to do that. :lol:

Recently because of my divorce I've had to re-update my living will and medical directive. Since the deaths of my Dad, best friend & miscarriages I thought it was appropriate to have everything ready. I've always had these documents in place since my mid 20's, because I have this weird association with death.

I will be cremated and any suitable organs will be donated, ashes will be scattered in the coast of Guam where I grew up. Most of these practices are against my culture & my religion, but I just remember year after year of visiting dead relatives in cemeteries when I was younger and I don't want to be remembered that way nor should anyone waste their time visiting my dead corpse.

Then I realized, I'm the youngest out of my siblings and that I will be the one burying every body else in my family. Which is my worst nightmare imagined.

I think I'll have myself secretly buried under my own patio, as a nice surprise for some future people who can become famous off the subsequent murder investigation.

Or, slightly more probably, when it looks like my time is nearly up, go on a camping safari and wander off into the night and let the hyenas have me.

i was a bury me at sea dude for a long time but now want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with cement and made into a base for coral reefs...still buried at sea, just not whole...

circle of life and all that rot has become important as i got older....and watched lion king 21 times with little nieces...

or perhaps it was pirates of the caribbean 3 when youngest niece said "unkatripp will you go to davey jones' locker when you die"....

Oh god yes. My family and I talk about this all the time, it's important to know where everyone stands. I want a green burial, if at all possible. My parents both want to be cremated and their ashes scattered in the sea. Everyone's cool with organ donation, except the corneas (on which we are all in agreement, that's a bit too freaky). We've even had casual conversations about what songs we want played at our funerals.

best funeral songs...imo...don't fear the reaper...spirit in the sky..sympathy for the devil...of course that is just me....

I've literally just come home from my great nan's funeral. She's being cremated, and I think it seems pretty nice and dignified, without the expense of paying for a grave etc.

sorry for your loss, but agree cremation is the way to go...

I'd like to be cremated. Donate whatever usable parts to whoever wants them. In high school I read This Side of Paradise, pretty much all I remember from it is that the main character's wishes for how his remains would be handled were "slow oxidation at the top of a tree." I always kind of liked that.

My mom makes custom glass beads with a bit of ashes in them. Then the bead can be worn on a necklace, etc. This is pretty popular with not just the remains of people but with pets.

Imp i am surprised you didn't mention being put into a pot plant and then smoked on the one year death anni just so your friends can remember in style

I still like growing a tree over my body after what is usable can be used. What is more fitting to memorialize someone's life than more life?

i would tend to agree Scot though i am thinking of a smaller plant...

I think I'll have myself secretly buried under my own patio, as a nice surprise for some future people who can become famous off the subsequent murder investigation.

Or, slightly more probably, when it looks like my time is nearly up, go on a camping safari and wander off into the night and let the hyenas have me.

i have decided with out any qualifications that i love you Min...since both of these methods sound good to me!!!

When my brother found out he had fatal lung cancer he changed his ringtone to "staying alive".

He was cremated and wanted his ashes fired out over the ocean in a firework, but we were unable to do that.

My parents kept his ashes for a long time, then took them out to sea on the ferry to Rottnest and scattered them. The ferry stopped and everything.

Actually, what I'd really like is to have everything usable removed, a hole dug, my remains dropped in, and a tree planed over my corpse. Hopefully, it would grow well and strong.

This is what I'd like as well. Trees always give me a great deal of pleasure, so I feel it's the least I can do. :)

Maybe a tri-color beech tree. Whenever I see them, I always have to pull over and examine them more closely.

I don't think about it too much but I don't want a viewing either. I would prefer people remember me as an alive guy and not a dead guy. My dad claims that he wants me to just dig a hole in the backyard and roll him on in there because he thinks wasting money on a dead guy is silly, but I don't think the rest of the family (or the law for that matter) will allow me to do that. :lol:

That sounds like my late mom-in-law. She'd (jokingly?) say, "Eh, just put me out on the curb with the trash."

I'm still not sure whether she was being passive-aggressive or whether she really didn't care one way or another. I prefer to think it was the latter. In any case, she got a really nice funeral (if a funeral can ever be nice.) But my sister-in-law, her daughter, had a viewing - which I know for a fact she would have hated. It wasn't my choice, however.

That sounds like my late mom-in-law. She'd (jokingly?) say, "Eh, just put me out on the curb with the trash."

I'm still not sure whether she was being passive-aggressive or whether she really didn't care one way or another. I prefer to think it was the latter. In any case, she got a really nice funeral (if a funeral can ever be nice.) But my sister-in-law, her daughter, had a viewing - which I know for a fact she would have hated. It wasn't my choice, however.

this is why you need to write shit down and then choose a person to be in charge that will obey...not just give lip service to obedience...

...in other words a paid someone that's only job is to obey...

in my opinion...

I am unconcerned about what happens to my body after I die. I have some vague requests laid out to help the living along, like sending my body off to science or cremation, just something that requires the least amount of time and hassle for those dealing with my rotting corpse. But it all really depends on who takes control of my body after I die. The handling of my decomposing flesh has everything to do with the people who are living and nothing to do with me. I won't know and I won't care so beyond laying out some general preferences I'm not all that concerned.

Pretty much how I feel. I do think parading dead bodies around is weird, so I would prefer some other rout (dumping me in a swamp, funeral pyre, cremation, fed to pigs).

I certainly don't want my rotting body to take up space in a graveyard, but I know some living people value having a spot to visit the remains.

this is why you need to write shit down and then choose a person to be in charge that will obey...not just give lip service to obedience...

...in other words a paid someone that's only job is to obey...

in my opinion...

My grandmother has her funeral all planned out and has a pre-paid funeral plan in place. My granddad never did when he passed away, and she decided that she didn't want her daughters (my mam and aunty) worrying about paying for her funeral when she was gone, like she had to for her husband. They'd have enough to deal with as is.

My grandmother has her funeral all planned out and has a pre-paid funeral plan in place. My granddad never did when he passed away, and she decided that she didn't want her daughters (my mam and aunty) worrying about paying for her funeral when she was gone, like she had to for her husband. They'd have enough to deal with as is.

Ma Belle Mere did too, she knew if she didn't some of my brothers and sister would do what they wanted so she set everything up down to the headstone...all i had to do was see that the vault was closed and date added...

...and let the wake commence...5 yrs ago today, in fact...

Archived