the US and the UK drink the worst beer, by far.

BigFatCoward

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/most-popular-beer-every-country-map/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=apr_feed

unless the skol they drink in brazil is the same as the one you can buy in the uk, then its brazil.

i've drank a lot of these i can honestly say that most of them taste remarkably similar. as long as lager is cold it tastes pretty much identical.

Until you follow one with the other. I often find it hard to move onto another lager once I've started with one.

As for the most drunk in the respective countries; huge fails from US and UK as those are both horrendous beers. I haven't had a Carling since I was 16.

I have had many of these beers and since the map is of the most popular beer in each country and not necessarily the best, most of them are lagers. The US and UK both, of course, have lots of beers that are better than the most popular national lager. And, in my opinion, most of the major national brands of lager world wide are pretty interchangeable.

I do not care for Bud Light, but I will drink Budweiser and I think that Budweiser compares favorably with most of the beers on this map. That doesn't mean it's one of the best beers in the world, it just means that I do not find it to be much different from something like San Miguel, or Tiger, or Kingfisher, or Viking, or Presidente, or Sagres, etc, etc, etc. In my estimation Budweiser is better than Corona, Kronenbourg, Singha, and Heineken (which I actively hate).

If I had to pick one from the map that I like the best I'd probably choose Asahi, but maybe that's because I associate it with sushi restaurants and I'm usually in a pretty damn good mood if I'm about to eat sushi. Point is, most of these beers are much the same and I'm not gonna sit around and let someone with a Heineken or a Kronenbourg in their hand tell me Budweiser is shit. :P Kinda splitting hairs at that point.

In my regular life if I'm drinking a lager it is probably one of the Mexican ones not called Corona. Usually Modelo, but sometimes XX or Tecate. I drink Shiner (Texas) a lot too, but I guess that is technically a bock and not a lager.

I was pretty embarrassed that it wasn't Molson Canadian. Bloody Yanks with their bloody marketing.

Of course Canadian is no more drinkable, but at least it is nominally appropriate.

I like Australian Strongbow better than UK Strongbow, but I'm happy to drink the latter in a pinch.

And john re: Victoria Bitter. You couldn't be more wrong. It, and most popular Aussie beers such as Tooheys New, Carlton, XXXX and others are absolutely horrendous. Bottled beer in Oz like Little Creatures tends to be decent, there's just something they don't get right about draught.

That chart shows the wisdom of our Antipodean friends.

Agreed with S. John in principle, but I think Heineken and Kronebourg are ever-so-slightly better than Budweiser which is better than Bud Light.

Generally Americans don't drink But Light because they think it's good. They drink it because it is cheap and has fewer calories. Most of us have a beer we drink when we want to sit down and enjoy a good beer, then we have a beer we drink when we just want to get smashed. I don't care for light beers, but at the end of the night, I've spent less money, I've consumed a few hundred fewer calories, and the hangovers aren't so terrible as they are with quality beers.

And generally, when it comes to cheap beer, there are only a handful of options and Bud Light/Budweiser is the most common. There isn't really a quality mass produced beer in the states(Sam Adams isn't too bad), but there are a ton of great micro brews in the states, so mostly people just stick with their local taps.

Even in the US, if you want a cheap beer, Pabst, Busch, Busch Light, Genesee, Schaefer... these are all on par with Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite and yet on a lower price tier. If I'm not drinking something good I'd much rather just go for a super cheap beer than an equally lousy but pricier Bud, Miller or Coors.

Same goes for Tecate-- you can usually get it for significantly less than the major domestics.

The weather plays a significant role too. I love all the variety of beer available to me and I sample them liberally but in the summer I want ice cold and light 90% of the time. In Texas we've already had a few days over 90F so I have begun replacing trips to more specialized beer shops to sift through the variety of microbrews and imports with stops at the nearest gas station for a thoroughly chilled sixer of Tecate.

Archived