the US and the UK drink the worst beer, by far.

BigFatCoward

I don't drink beer, but I can tell you that the only reason Lion Red is there for NZ is because that's the Auckland gateway beer (i.e. the beer that weans teens from coke to beer). Given Auckland is the biggest population center in the country by far then the gateway beer that is most popular there will be the one that has the highest volume in sales nationally. It is also the beer that is the monopoly supplier to the main sports stadiums in Auckland, which will help with the consumption rates.

Anyone seen with a Lion Red in their hand south of Auckland will be rather made fun of. The further south you go the more shit you get for drinking Lion Red. In fact it probably isn't even sold in the South Island. If there's a national beer it's Steinlager, but even there the regional beers will be more popular among the locals than Steinlager, which is why despite being a nationally available beer it does not show up as the most consumed beer. And It is never the monopoly beer at sports stadiums.

Anyway, just to say that Lion Red being the most popular beer in New Zealand is quite misleading. If you ever come to New Zealand Lion Red is the last locally made beer that should be on your must try list. Frankly it's embarrassing, even for a non-beer drinker, to have Lion Red be identified as the most popular beer in the country.

VB is only the most popular because it's cheap. I mean, it's the bitter brand of Foster's for fuck's sake. As we all know, the secret ingredient of Foster's is camel's piss.

My personal favourite is Cascade. Of course, it must be in a stubby for me.

1. The Czechs point and laugh at your silly talk.

2. Testosterone is a dangerous chemical in the hands of inexperienced users.

It's as if i wasn't being entirely serious. Imagine that for a second, if you will

square go mate

lolololol

I like English beer. Strange as that sounds. Tastes like crap, but I don't drink it for the taste!

Strongbow, or maybe just skip drinking any Uk drinks and go for a Carlsberg.

Carling on the other hand... still beats Guiness. Not a fan of the stuff. Which is worsened by having a largely Irish family, sworn on the stuff.

Meh...

In all fairness, it is the list of most beer sold not the best beer.

Serbian beer industry is largely crap, though there are some minor breweries that make rather good beers.

I guess craft beer industry is in its early stages here and the only way is up.

EDIT:

If anyone of you stumbles into Serbia, steer clear of this "Jelen" beer you see on this list.

It's, as someone else already put it, carbonated piss-water.

I have had many of these beers and since the map is of the most popular beer in each country and not necessarily the best, most of them are lagers. The US and UK both, of course, have lots of beers that are better than the most popular national lager. And, in my opinion, most of the major national brands of lager world wide are pretty interchangeable.

I do not care for Bud Light, but I will drink Budweiser and I think that Budweiser compares favorably with most of the beers on this map. That doesn't mean it's one of the best beers in the world, it just means that I do not find it to be much different from something like San Miguel, or Tiger, or Kingfisher, or Viking, or Presidente, or Sagres, etc, etc, etc. In my estimation Budweiser is better than Corona, Kronenbourg, Singha, and Heineken (which I actively hate).

If I had to pick one from the map that I like the best I'd probably choose Asahi, but maybe that's because I associate it with sushi restaurants and I'm usually in a pretty damn good mood if I'm about to eat sushi. Point is, most of these beers are much the same and I'm not gonna sit around and let someone with a Heineken or a Kronenbourg in their hand tell me Budweiser is shit. :P Kinda splitting hairs at that point.

In my regular life if I'm drinking a lager it is probably one of the Mexican ones not called Corona. Usually Modelo, but sometimes XX or Tecate. I drink Shiner (Texas) a lot too, but I guess that is technically a bock and not a lager.

Totally agree. I actually really like Negra Modelo.

Even in the US, if you want a cheap beer, Pabst, Busch, Busch Light, Genesee, Schaefer... these are all on par with Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite and yet on a lower price tier. If I'm not drinking something good I'd much rather just go for a super cheap beer than an equally lousy but pricier Bud, Miller or Coors.

Same goes for Tecate-- you can usually get it for significantly less than the major domestics.

I strongly feel like Busch light and Bud Light come from come from the same vat with two spouts at the brrewery, then they add some carbonated water to the Bud Light, but Busch is significantly cheaper. I agree, there are even much cheaper options that are about as drinkable as Bud Light and Coors. Miller Light is just terrible though.

I would say a lot of Americans I drink beer with have terrible taste and are very un-adventerous.

By far the worst thing about drinking in America (apart from not being able to wander the streets drinking #cans) is that if you order a pint of something it's not a fucking pint! Its like... 2 thirds of a pint or something. Like the size of pint you might serve to a small child! I understand that America does lots of things differently, but messing with the size of a pint is beyond the pale

By far the worst thing about drinking in America (apart from not being able to wander the streets drinking #cans) is that if you order a pint of something it's not a fucking pint! Its like... 2 thirds of a pint or something. Like the size of pint you might serve to a small child! I understand that America does lots of things differently, but messing with the size of a pint is beyond the pale

You Anglo-Saxons and your pints...

In a world that's adopted civilized measurement system, the standard size is 0.5 liter.

In a world that's adopted civilized measurement system, the standard size is 0.5 liter.

What British person would every change to metric and order halves?

Half litres are just a little bit too small. You're just getting warmed up and BAM the drink's finished.

A full litre is madness though. That way lies blackouts and shouting PROST! at strangers.

If Goldilocks was having a big session, she'd settle on a pint.

Everywhere I've lived, I've wandered the streets drinking cans, and never been ticketed. Trick is to use the brown paper bag.

The first few years I lived in San Diego you could still legally drink on the beach (no glass) and it was awesome. I think that was the last public beach you could drink on though (hope I'm wrong about this).

Craziest brown paper bag story:

When I was in high school, my best friend used to drive around with soda in a brown paper bag, and try to find cops that he could pull up next to at a red light, and try to get them to pull him over by chugging out of the bag and looking drunk, only to show them he was only drinking soda.

I refuse to compromise myself with a brown paper bag. It's undignified. If I'm giving it large and representing the UK across the streets of America I want everyone to fucking see it, including the weird insecure American police

Archived