the US and the UK drink the worst beer, by far.

BigFatCoward

I refuse to compromise myself with a brown paper bag. It's undignified. If I'm giving it large and representing the UK across the streets of America I want everyone to fucking see it, including the weird insecure American police

Enjoy!

On the plus side, there is an awesome selection of good beers in cans all over here. Really blown up in the last seven or eight years.

I refuse to compromise myself with a brown paper bag. It's undignified. If I'm giving it large and representing the UK across the streets of America I want everyone to fucking see it, including the weird insecure American police

Our weird insecure police shoot people. Careful.

I knew some people liked Strongbow, but last time I was in UK, when I tried it, I nearly spit it out and became convinced it wasn't beer but some sort of cider: a disgustingly sweet sort of pisswater stuff.

Just out of curiosity, how much is a supermarket can where you come from. I recently bought 40 for £20, cheaper than coke.

What is a supermarket can? Last time I bought beer in a supermarket, the price was 6 33cl Belgian ales for 7€, but if you go with the low-quality stuff you can have like 7 litres for 12€ or less.

Pfft. You're not doing cheap disgusting cider properly unless you're drinking White Lightning or 3 Hammers.

I have just discovered they don't make White Lightning any more. Probably for the best.

I had many a good (very bad) time on white lightening in my early teens. I only discovered 3 Hammers a few years ago in Uni. Brilliant stuff.

Mainstream Canadian beer is similarly terrible. Why anyone would submit to drinking Canadian or Blue or the like is beyond me. I'd say most people drink local craft or regional beers.

Newfoundland has the Quidi Vidi Brewery for more "premium" stuff, including Iceberg which is made from exactly what you think it's made from. There aren't many IPAs or bitters in NL for whatever reason, but Nova Scotia has a lot of goods ones from Garrison and Propeller. Alexander Keith's isn't anything special but still gets called "premium" when it's in Ontario.

What I don't understand about UK beer (or English beer more precisely) is the predilection for flat, warm stuff. Ugh.

I am fond of highly "drinkable" stuff like Rolling Rock when I'm more interested in volume. Schooner in NS fills this purpose pretty well too.

Some of the best beers being brewed in the UK today is also available in cans btw, Larry.

Aemon, you are confused or misinformed about people liking flat warm beer in England. What you're referring to is cask real ale. A well made and well cellared cask bitter can be a thing beauty. I'd guess you don't see much cask beer where you are. As with anything if people don't do it much then they're unlikely to be much good at it. And it's true that poorly kept cask beers can be terrible. Really, there is no point in doing cask beer unless you're going to take it seriously. Serving cask beer properly requires incredible expertise, knowledge and experience. Sadly, the average mainstream boozer you could walk into in touristland central London will almost always have shitty cask beer and visitors will go away thinking, wow British beer is shit!

If you want good British beer (cask or keg) you need to go to the right place.

Current favourites are Heverley (draft), Peroni, Staropramen, and Cobra.

Some Staropramen is made in Serbia for a few years now.

My worst hangover came from Staropramen and I haven't even had that many.

Of course, I can't say about the beer manufactured in Czech Republic (or elsewhere) but Serbian version is rather poor.

:lol: Wait, is this the same BFC who, if forced to choose between craft beers, always tries to find the one that tastes the most like generic lager, and complains that all the rest smell like feet?

Guys, I think our beervangelism must be working better than we thought!

Some of the best beers being brewed in the UK today is also available in cans btw, Larry.

Aemon, you are confused or misinformed about people liking flat warm beer in England. What you're referring to is cask real ale. A well made and well cellared cask bitter can be a thing beauty. I'd guess you don't see much cask beer where you are. As with anything if people don't do it much then they're unlikely to be much good at it. And it's true that poorly kept cask beers can be terrible. Really, there is no point in doing cask beer unless you're going to take it seriously. Serving cask beer properly requires incredible expertise, knowledge and experience. Sadly, the average mainstream boozer you could walk into in touristland central London will almost always have shitty cask beer and visitors will go away thinking, wow British beer is shit!

If you want good British beer (cask or keg) you need to go to the right place.

We actually have a lot of good local beer, though whether it's true cask beer I don't know. But I could do with another trip to the UK in the not too distant future and would certainly appreciate some specific recommendations.

I also got a beer Advent Calendar this past Christmas which had 24 craft beers from around the world. Best was something from Norway.

:lol: Wait, is this the same BFC who, if forced to choose between craft beers, always tries to find the one that tastes the most like generic lager, and complains that all the rest smell like feet?

Guys, I think our beervangelism must be working better than we thought!

I thought he typically requested the "second cheapest lager" on offer.

I am usually good with the Stouts and Porters,

good dark beers.

If I can see through the glass,

I'd rather have a wine or tea than whatever that is.

I agree with the OP in that the large national brand U.S. beers are a pisswater disgrace.

Thankfully the craftbeer and microbrews are steadily correcting that.

There's promise for the future.

Archived