Battle of the Stormlands'

Skinner

In TWOW, as we know, Aegon VI has landed in Westeros and is pressing his claim in the Stormlands. So far, so good. His next target:

Storm's End

However, what happens after he takes SE? The Crown will have to send an appropriate response to this new threat.

This will come in the form of most likely Mace Tyrell and his estimated 30,000 strong army from the Reach, possibly with the aid of Randyll Tarly.

What I wonder is how this battle will unfold or if it will at all? Will Margery win her trial so as to allow Mace to leave KL? Will they use elephants? Who will die? So many unanswered questions...

Mace has the little matter of the Ironmen to sort out first, and with Aurane Waters sailing off with Cersei's new dromonds and most of the Lannister army killed at Dragonstone, there doesn't seem to be much that the crown can do to about fAegon. Right now, SE is held by Stannis' man, Ser Gilbert Farring, and about 200 men.

Wasn't Jaime just with the lannister army @ riverrun? If I remember correctly his cousin daven was leading it. There is also the Frey army. Riverrun was under siege and there wasn't a tyrell banner man there to my knowledge. Its true the iron man are a huge threat and either high garden or old town are due for an attack which basically puts the crown in a 2 front war in the south. But the lannisters still have plenty of soldiers, I don't recall dragon stone being a catastrophic loss for the lannisters. They may not field as many men as the tyrells. That being said the faith militant are the wildcard. For all we know they could start murdering the heads of both the tyrells & lannisters so they can join one of the Dragons. I envision Kings landing to get attacked again in the not to distant future and it will burn to the ground (it's a filthy place really) but storms end is just a show of force for Aegon. Showing that he has power & that he's taken the castle of the lord that usurped his families throne. Any tyrell banner man leading a tyrell army other than mace should also be a threat to the lannister as they are more likely to turn cloak for the targ's. A siege or battle in the storm lands seems pointless though in my eye the crown gains nothing by getting it back and stands to lose everything trying to take it back.

^The last report we get of the Lannister army is that after Jaime disappeared the army melted away. The Lannisters supposedly lost 1k out of 2k soldiers on Dragonstone and the other 1k are supposedly stuck there. Kevin thinks to himself that he could not have forced the High Septon to do anything like Ranyl Tarly did because he does not have many men.

Mace will not be leading the army to Storms End as he wants to protect his daughter, he will send someone else.

Edit: Also, as this is Winds sub forum, Storms End is held by Aegon, not Stannis.

In all likelyhood Randyll Tarly (I imagine Mace will want to be with his daughter efter the trials are over) will lead a force of Stormlanders and Reachmen south against Aegon. By my estimates there might be as many as 45,000 men under Mace Tyrells command at King's Landing. How many of these will march south with Randyll I don't know.

In all likelyhood Randyll Tarly (I imagine Mace will want to be with his daughter efter the trials are over) will lead a force of Stormlanders and Reachmen south against Aegon. By my estimates there might be as many as 45,000 men under Mace Tyrells command at King's Landing. How many of these will march south with Randyll I don't know.

And what will this battle be called? We have the Battle in the Snow (Siege of Winterfell), the Battle of Fire (Battle of Meereen), Battle of the Storm???

why would The Reach and it's bannermen help in a war when the IB led by King Euron, are literally right off their coastline?

agreed, i think if anyone comes, its likely to be a lannister force, but the men we saw in the riverlands was only 4,000 strong, and only half of that were lannister troops. So they would need to call on additional troops, possibly calling their banners again (since i think most of the lannister men have gone home) or simply wait until the tyrells are finished with the ironborn. . The Tyrells seem to be very committed to defending their own lands right now and any request to deal with aegon will likely either be ignored, or worse, could contribute to the breaking of their alliance with the lannisters altogether

Well, Mace did say that he would deal with it after his daughter's trial, but he's a doofus. He'll probably send Randyl Tarly who will join up with Aegon instead, while he takes an army back to deal with the Ironborn after Garland unfortunately dies with the army he is trying to raise (fresh levies).

Wasn't Jaime just with the lannister army @ riverrun? If I remember correctly his cousin daven was leading it. There is also the Frey army. Riverrun was under siege and there wasn't a tyrell banner man there to my knowledge. Its true the iron man are a huge threat and either high garden or old town are due for an attack which basically puts the crown in a 2 front war in the south. But the lannisters still have plenty of soldiers, I don't recall dragon stone being a catastrophic loss for the lannisters. They may not field as many men as the tyrells. That being said the faith militant are the wildcard. For all we know they could start murdering the heads of both the tyrells & lannisters so they can join one of the Dragons. I envision Kings landing to get attacked again in the not to distant future and it will burn to the ground (it's a filthy place really) but storms end is just a show of force for Aegon. Showing that he has power & that he's taken the castle of the lord that usurped his families throne. Any tyrell banner man leading a tyrell army other than mace should also be a threat to the lannister as they are more likely to turn cloak for the targ's. A siege or battle in the storm lands seems pointless though in my eye the crown gains nothing by getting it back and stands to lose everything trying to take it back.

I don't think the Faith militant has plans to join up with the Targs. I think they have visions of a Westeros ruled by the faith itself.

why would The Reach and it's bannermen help in a war when the IB led by King Euron, are literally right off their coastline?

did i miss something here?

The Tyrells already has a sizeable force in the Reach. Garlan Tyrell is in command of perhaps as many as 35,000 men (he took half of the Tyrell men at King's Landing) which he had planned to use against the Florents of Brightwater Keep but is now planning to turn agains the Ironborn. And then there's the Redwyne fleet which is on its way with 200 warships. And the Hightowers which are now mustering men and buildings hsips like never before.

So there's not really any need for Mace Tyrell or Randyll Tarly to return to the Reach. Or so they think. Who knows what Euron is capable of.

As seen with Kevan, Varys is heavily manipulating events to help Aegon. How does he help Aegon, by creating the perfect amount of chaos. If he has any reason to believe an army might be coming to destroy Aegon's he would once again manipulate events to make sure they stayed in KL or go somewhere else.

As everyone else has pointed out, there are far more serious threats. Lannisters control over "their kingdoms" is extremely delicate, they need to gain some sort of authority over them. Don't forget about the ironborn and their ships, the loss of the Iron bank and the fact that the Sailors Tales about Dragons has basically been confirmed. And seeing as the crown is now in the hands of an 8 year old boy and will probably go back to a half mad queen, there will be no response to this threat. Or maybe Cersei see's (f)aegon decides he looks like Rhaegar and gives him a place in the small council ;)

I don't think the Faith militant has plans to join up with the Targs. I think they have visions of a Westeros ruled by the faith itself.

:agree: Their words and actions seriously hint that their sick of ungodly rulers and want the kingdom in the hands of the faith.

Take the words of the Golden Company into account. Some of us do still have friends in the Reach. The Reach will do nothing against Aegon. They supported the Targs during RR. Also, Dorne has a standing army in Prince's Pass and the Boneway and there is an army on their way to KL with Nym and Tyene leading them. Dorne has the armies to defend Aegons back.

Take the words of the Golden Company into account. Some of us do still have friends in the Reach. The Reach will do nothing against Aegon. They supported the Targs during RR. Also, Dorne has a standing army in Prince's Pass and the Boneway and there is an army on their way to KL with Nym and Tyene leading them. Dorne has the armies to defend Aegons back.

I think this "we have friends" is wishful thinking. And correction, the Tyrells followed the Targs in RR because without them they would still be stewards instead of Lords of the reach and the second richest family. And at that point the major houses of the reach were married into the Tyrells.

What friends? Houses that followed the golden company to war against the Targs years ago? Or Lords these exiled sellswords knew, they must have been extremely close for them to back Aegon up. Plus if they have friends they also have enemies, seeing as they must have been exiled for some reason.

As for the friends in the Reach: I believe House Peake is one of the more likely friends. They have fought for the Blackfyres in two of the rebellions, they might still desire to retake the two castles they lost because of it, and most importantly the man who first said "friends in the Reach" was a man named Laswell Peake who also have two brothers the company. I wouldn't surprised if they kept contact with the main house. The Peakes are the only ones I'm really confident about though.

The Hightowers might be another ally. They have to get involved somehow I feel, and pitting the two most powerful houses (Tyrell and Hightower) in the Reach against eachother would be interesting. Redwynes would likely side with the Tyrells no matter what. Paxter Redwyne is Mace Tyrells closest friend I recall, married to Tyrells sister and his own cousin. Tarly and Rowan is unknown. Lord Mathis Rowan might be killed when Aegon takes Storm's End... but he might also be captured and convinced to turn his cloak. Randyll Tarly seem like a loyal soldier so I'm not sure he would turn his cloak that easily. He's already gearing up to fight Aegon besides, at least according to Arianne II.

As for the friends in the Reach: I believe House Peake is one of the more likely friends. They have fought for the Blackfyres in two of the rebellions, they might still desire to retake the two castles they lost because of it, and most importantly the man who first said "friends in the Reach" was a man named Laswell Peake who also have two brothers the company. I wouldn't surprised if they kept contact with the main house. The Peakes are the only ones I'm really confident about though.

The Hightowers might be another ally. They have to get involved somehow I feel, and pitting the two most powerful houses (Tyrell and Hightower) in the Reach against eachother would be interesting. Redwynes would likely side with the Tyrells no matter what. Paxter Redwyne is Mace Tyrells closest friend I recall, married to Tyrells sister and his own cousin. Tarly and Rowan is unknown.

Mace's wife is a Hightower, so unless the Tyrells decide to switch and marry margaery to Aegon then Hightower isn't an ally. And as you said Redwyne are friends and married into the Tyrells. Also Garlan is married to some fossoway, not sure what kind if power they hold but their also a bannerman to the Tyrells.

So there would be very few alliances Aegon could make in the reach. His only potential ones are Dorne and the crownlands, who are either with Stannis or have lost the majority of their power at Blackwater.

Archived