Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

Best Fan Writer, I believe.

But there are many deserving people who should be getting a nod in that category, including Eric Flint and Mike Glyer.

I know there is good precedent (and Martin's post are awesome both as fan writer and related works[the history of worldcon side is very interesting to me]) but I feel kinda odd nominating a professional writer for fan writer.

He has contributed too much to making it a better volume to ever feel right about that ... so I guess there is some proverb about making your bed as you lie in it? A traditional publisher never did anything for me - Vox delivered on all of his promises and the editor that worked with me personally fact checked EVERYTHING, catching some things I never could have (like an error in a source I was quoting about the distribution of colors in Oz, for example ...). The project was a project of love regardless; money would have been a pretty nice bonus, but my target demographic was small anyway ...

This is an example of why I'm opposed to bloc voting No Award to slate noms. And just because Vox has said plenty of nasty things on the webs doesn't mean he can't do a good job of editing. I'm no fan of his, but I'm glad to hear that he helped you with your project. I've never read any Wolfe (on the TBR pile!), but I am curious about your work. For me, it'll just have to wait til after New Sun :)

Also, have any of you read Joss Nevin's Victorian Hugos series on io9? http://io9.com/tag/victorian-hugos. It'll definitely be on my list for Best Related Work.

And in Graphic Story, I'm voting Fables 150, since a) it's great and b) Fables was robbed the first three years of the award by Girl Genius :)

This is an example of why I'm opposed to bloc voting No Award to slate noms. And just because Vox has said plenty of nasty things on the webs doesn't mean he can't do a good job of editing. I'm no fan of his, but I'm glad to hear that he helped you with your project. I've never read any Wolfe (on the TBR pile!), but I am curious about your work. For me, it'll just have to wait til after New Sun :)

Also, have any of you read Joss Nevin's Victorian Hugos series on io9? http://io9.com/tag/victorian-hugos. It'll definitely be on my list for Best Related Work.

And in Graphic Story, I'm voting Fables 150, since a) it's great and B) Fables was robbed the first three years of the award by Girl Genius :)

Definitely read Wolfe when you have time!!!! He is (obviously) my favorite writer, a unique and eccentric voice in literature who deserves a household reputation (as, say, Faulkner, Joyce, or Melville would have, not necessarily Martin).

As many will tell you, much of the subtle allusion and construction is simply impossible to pick up on until a second read, but his density and allusive writing rarely overshadow the "entertainment" aspects of his more famous works. I hope you enjoy Wolfe! Even though he will have a Hugo eligible novel for next year, I doubt that his work would ever appeal to an extremely broad demographic unless reading tastes change significantly. I will check out Nevin's work.

...no?

You are missing out. I picked up my Goddess in a second-hand thrift shop.

Seriously though, Peace is an absolutely sublime pseudo-mainstream novel ... I'd probably do that one first if you didn't want to spend a whole lot of time and energy. Short Sun is awesome; it was the first one, way back in 2001 or so, that I felt I had my own solution to. It took about 14 years to convince someone else, but that's all right. Whatever you do, don't watch my short sun video until you have read the series once or twice. You have read Long Sun, right? I feel like Short Sun is the easiest of Wolfe's series to actually miss the whole point ... and perhaps where Wolfe played unfairly as an author, but On Blue's Waters is my single favorite Wolfe. Good luck!

Really looking forward to reading the Fifth Season. Do people think I should read the Inheritance Trilogy first? If so should I bother getting it in hardcopy or can I just go for Kindle.

I've not read the Inheritance Trilogy and had no issues with the Fifth Season. As far as I know they aren't the same universe, but I might be wrong

Anathem was my vote that year. I completely forgot it hadn't won the Hugo until recently. Looking forward to summer reading!

Anathem is still one of my favorite books.

Seveneves was pretty good at points, but I struggled with some of presidential rebellion stuff -- I thought the scientists were being morons purely for plot reasons rather than as an element of their character.

I've not read the Inheritance Trilogy and had no issues with the Fifth Season. As far as I know they aren't the same universe, but I might be wrong

:stunned: ...oh, Trilogy, not Cycle. That makes a bit more sense!

Archived