How Happy are you where you live?

Fragile Bird

The 2015 World Happiness Report has ranked 158 countries on a scale of 1 to 10. The report was first issued in 2012 and is updated every 18 months. The top five countries are:

■Switzerland (7.587).

■Iceland (7.561).

■Denmark (7.527).

■Norway (7.522).

Canada (7.427).

The five countries at the bottom of the list are:

■Rwanda (3.465).

■Benin (3.340).

■Syria (3.006).

■Burundi (2.906).

■Togo (2.839).

The US is in 15th place, just surpassed by Mexico (!).

The story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/world-happiness-report-ranks-canada-5th-1.3044556

The rankings (on pg. 28, if the link doesn't go there)

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2062731-whr15-embargoed.html#document/p28

I love where I live. I'm in the middle of the countryside, can't see another house from my own, and it's peaceful and quiet.

Cost of living is low, I have a good job 20 minutes away from my house, and I can indulge in my hobbies (thankfully, most of them involve the outdoors) with ease.

The heat and the right wing politics are the biggest negatives for me. But a good sweat is good for a body.

Been in the northeast US for the last 6 years, first northeastern CT and now upstate NY, near the Berkshires. It's nice, I can be up in the mountains in less than a half day drive, get a healthy dose of all four seasons, enough work to pay the bills most of the time, lots of swimming holes if you know where to find them.

I'd say that as far as geography can make me happy, I'm happy where I live.

Burundi ftw! Yeah, burundi is miserable and made me appreciate some things about israel. My fondness for jerusalem comes and goes. Sometimes i love it, then it will suddenly turn loathsome.

I live in a pretty beautiful place. The weather sucks sometimes, but you can't have everything, I guess.

We live right by water, so it's very beautiful. There's lots of wildlife, which I complain about, but I actually love. I saw two bald eagles (!!) the other day. We're near enough to entertainment and shopping if we want to be out and about.

The only thing I would change (besides fine-tuning the weather a bit) would be the fact that most of the folks around me are Republican. I've bitten my lip more times than I'd like to count. One of these days I'm just gonna BLOW. /politics

I think it's hard to really evaluate the U.S. as a whole. There are whole swathes of the place where I would be fucking miserable, but I live now in what is basically my favorite place on Earth which is also in the U.S.

I wasn't born in Germany, and I really want to live in many more countries throughout my life (I have lived

in several countries before),

but I have to admit that the living standard in Germany is VERY high. Infrastructure, health system,

social system - all works very well compared to many other countries. I'd wish Germans were a little

bit more lively and flamboyent alltogether, but in the end - if you want to live really comfortable, Germany

is just fine. (And I have been living here for 20 years)

I love where I live. I'm in the middle of the countryside, can't see another house from my own, and it's peaceful and quiet.

Cost of living is low, I have a good job 20 minutes away from my house, and I can indulge in my hobbies (thankfully, most of them involve the outdoors) with ease.

The heat and the right wing politics are the biggest negatives for me. But a good sweat is good for a body.

Sis, i love your particular patch of ground as well. spent many a happy day fishing in a couple of big reservoir/lakes not too far west of you. and i agree i would rather sweat out the summers than freeze in the winter.

i have seen many places around the world that would make me happy...it's more about access to ocean, mountains, rivers...which right now i got in spades...1 hour 15 minutes to beach, 1 hour 30 to mountains and great rivers/lakes all around me...what else does an old fart need...

oh yeah - worms...

:smoking:

I HATE where I live, HATE HATE HATE it!

Cost of living is outrageous, weather totally sucks, hot humid in summers and cold and miserable in winter.

And since I live in rural Maryland, it is even worse, since it is also rather "right of center" up here.

Ideal location for me? the southwest US

Yeah, I like the UK overall, though I reckon I could be equally happy in any reasonably developed nation. The south-west is nice though.

Same for me. Everywhere has its pros and cons.

I like where I live well enough (Austin). The downsides are horrendous traffic, a cost of living that is a little higher than what I want it to be, and less-than-ideal state politics. Having lived a few places around the states I've discovered that traffic and cost of living just come with the territory when it comes to living in a larger city, unless I want to go rural (and I kinda do) those things are simply going to be facts of life.

I was really hoping to escape traffic when I left the DC area, but Austin is probably at least as bad. The difference is that it is a little bit easier to get out of the Austin area. Getting out of DC was a huge pain in the ass because the suburban area surrounding the city is a lot more extensive than in Austin, but going from place to place within town... it is equally shitty between the two. Plus once you get out of Austin it is more Texas for at least 5 hours in every direction. 5 hours from DC and you could be in New York City or the Outer Banks of North Carolina or into the Mountains in Virginia or West Virginia. But for my preferences Austin wins in the food, bars, music, and weather categories. The pace of life overall is a bit more my speed here.

I live in Ho Chi Minh city, and while living here has been fun I'll be glad to be going in June. the people are friendly and cost of living is cheap, but it's just way to much of an urban jungle for my tastes , there's not really any nature near here and the air is so polluted. I've lived in cities before but never in a place with bad air quality. Also the heat, I come from cold rainy Seattle and after nine months of heat and humidity, I miss Seattle's our cold but clean air.

Personally I think this ranking is crap, since Poland is 60th, while such countries like Croatia, Portugal or Greece are lower (in case of Greece much lower), and countries like Uzbekistan, Moldova, Kazakhstan and Belarus (not to mention a bunch of countries from Middle East) are higher.

Having said that, I'm reasonably happy where I live.

Archived