How Happy are you where you live?

Fragile Bird

Yeah! Greece beat out the Palestinian territories and Iraq!

I'm not a city boy at all and I enjoyed the area in Michigan that I lived in more than I do Athens. There's a decided lack of trees, plants and wildlife here. That said, I enjoy the lifestyle here considerably more than I did in the US. My old career enjoyed a divorce rate in the 80% range and being an English teacher here is decidedly easier - despite the fact that I now make about 10 times less than I previously did.

All in all, I'd say I enjoy living in Greece more than I did in the States but there are a lot of intangibles which factor in my preference.

I find it ironic that Bhutan is ranked at 79 when this entire study seems to have directly stemmed from the Bhutanese initiative to encourage all nations to increase national happiness: specifically the "2011 Resolution of the UN General Assembly, proposed by the Prime Minister of Bhutan, inviting member countries to measure the happiness of their people and to use this to help guide their public policies." (from the linked study posted by the OP)

I gathered that a major portion of the methods used to determine happiness in this report came from the framework of Bhutan's "Gross National Happiness" initiative. Bhutan claims to promote "Gross National Happiness" over Gross National Product, and has claimed to do so since the 70s, as a commitment to building an economy to serve Bhutan's culture based on Buddhist spiritual values instead of the western material development represented by gross national product.

I'm not being critical of Bhutan or this study, just saying, it's probably disappointing to Bhutan.

I guess money really does buy happiness. Money and chocolate (heyo, Switzerland!)

This study defies the randomly gathered statistics (possibly stereotypes) I'd often heard about the nations at the top of the list, namely that suicide was more prevalent in the dark and cold nations of the north.

The town just outside of Liverpool where I live is a fucking hovel. But it's my hovel. The truly awful people who live here are a constant source of amusement and horror, and I doubt I'd last long without them. The small town where I work is beautiful, lovely rural location, friendly neighbours who treat me as an honorary local. Even the postman knows my name and nods a cheery hello each morning. I think I'd crack up if I lived here full time.

I love Chicago; I'm a native, and I think it's a fabulous city. My neighborhood is fantastic, and probably my favorite place I've ever lived. Andersonville is regularly ranked high up both regionally and nationally for it's neighborhoody-feel, safety, access to the beach and an abundance of public transportation, beautiful gardens and home architecture, gay-and-lesbian-friendly businesses and residents, great family and pet community, and the mixture of nice family homes and apartment living. It's not cheap though; my rent is pretty high, even for Chicago. But we are nowhere near house-poor either and for our income, could afford to spend a lot more than we do. If I was to stay in Chicago, I'd buy a house here in a heartbeat.

However, I'm so done with Chicago winters. I also would just like a change, and for work reasons, lifestyle, etc., we'll be moving to LA in the next year and a half or so - at least to give it a try.

Triskan, on 25 Apr 2015 - 6:57 PM, said:

Living in LA has been enormously conflicted.

Do tell. I have a lot of friends that are both natives and recently moved out there - and for the most part, it's high on the positives, low on the negatives (cost of housing and traffic being the predominate complaints).

I really enjoy living downtown Chicago, despite the winters. I much prefer city living to our experience with suburbs, and Chicago is one of the few livable cities in the country.

Aside from the winters, which can't be fixed but I can at least travel for a break, I'd like to see some improvement in the racial integration of the city and less suburban flight. It feels like only the very poor or quite wealthy stay living in the actual city, and then a lot of middle class tourists and suburbanites visit to enjoy the amenities.

I'd like to see some improvement in the racial integration of the city and less suburban flight. It feels like only the very poor or quite wealthy stay living in the actual city, and then a lot of middle class tourists and suburbanites visit to enjoy the amenities.

I think that's like every city.

I really enjoy living downtown Chicago, despite the winters. I much prefer city living to our experience with suburbs, and Chicago is one of the few livable cities in the country.

Aside from the winters, which can't be fixed but I can at least travel for a break, I'd like to see some improvement in the racial integration of the city and less suburban flight. It feels like only the very poor or quite wealthy stay living in the actual city, and then a lot of middle class tourists and suburbanites visit to enjoy the amenities.

Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country, which is very unfortunate. Andersonville has a *decent* racial mix that is 50% white and the rest minorities - but I do think it could be better, especially in terms of black representation, which I think is only around 10%.

I think there's a wide range of wealth distribution within the city, except when it comes to actually buying houses. That's when the suburban flight occurs - or they move to the very edges of the city limits like Mt. Greenwood, Edison Park, Belmont Heights, etc. They might as well have moved into the burbs for all the access that they have to city amenities.

I was raised on the South Side of the city and have also lived in nearly every suburban region around Chicago - North, West, and South - and I'll never, ever go back to the burbs.

Archived