M 7.5 Earthquake hits Nepal

The King in Black

There were 16 aftershocks that went as high as 6.6. They even felt this on Mount Everest.

I'm not horribly surprised though...when volcanoes act up, earthquakes seem to happen. The Ring of Fire seems to be waking up a little.

It sounds as though there either wasn't an emergency response plan in place or that there was not nearly enough training for it (lots of reports of doctors and nurses fleeing hospitals and clinics because of fear of aftershocks, which makes sense, but not staying nearby to setup outdoor centers; and apparently the government has provided no instructions to emergency responders). Also, some of the open hospitals are reporting running low of various medical supplies.

Fortunately the main airport was mostly untouched, so hopefully foreign aid comes in quickly.

Nepal is the fourth poorest country in the world. it doesn't have a functional government, and has not since the royal family was massacred over a decade ago.

It is incredibly gorgeous country filled with lovely Nepali people who just can't catch a break.

I cried when I saw this news this morning.

It looks like Samaritan's Purse is already responding by sending out disaster team. I usually don't support many Christian based organizations, but these guys are always there when help is most needed. http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/deadly-earthquake-in-nepal/

It looks like Samaritan's Purse is already responding by sending out disaster team. I usually don't support many Christian based organizations, but these guys are always there when help is most needed. http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/deadly-earthquake-in-nepal/

For people in the UK there is a link to donate through Oxfam:

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/emergency-response/nepal-earthquake

(Taxpayers can Giftaid it to increase the donation)

ETA: The BBC is already reporting a death toll over 1000, and this will rise as they find more people - infrastructure badly damaged, e.g. water supplies, communications.

I have a friend at Everest base camp. She's ok, but fleeing to somewhere safer.

I just heard from some alpine friends that 18 people were killed on Everest during the quake. Glad to hear she is okay.

Also heard there are climbing parties trapped and missing at the Khumbu Icefall, as the whole route was smashed to bits.

2 friends of mine were visiting the base camp and came back on Wednesday evening. Thursday evening they were showing us pictures, including one of a building with cracked foundations. One friend commented on how long this building is from collapsing, upon which the other said "as soon as the next earthquake hits". I guess it's gone now ... glad that my friends dodged this major bullet tho. Pity so many others died - April is a very popular month for climbing the peaks in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived