The wall is bound to fall, right?

GoT_Academy

It makes to me no sense that a wall that appears in the first act will not crash in the third act. Not when there are all these clues that it *can* crash.

When the wall will fall we will probably find out that the Others are not really evil, as that is very un-GRRM-like. The name he gave them tells it all - they are the ultimate "other", the group that humans regard since the dawn of times and to this day as uncivilized, a-moral, dangerous.

It also seems that the free folk/wildlings were inspired by the tribes that lived beyond Hedrien's Wall and raided "civilization".

So when the wall will crash and there will be no border between the "civilized" and "un-civilized" world - the seven kingdoms will have to change.

What do you think?

For more you can check out our youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvzn-p1797c

But how would it lose it's magic? Also, even if it just becomes a normal wall, no magic, it is still 700 feet tall, ect.

If they keep betraying their vows and killing their LC's in a row, I am sure that at one point the NW will fail utterly. And with them the ward at the Wall will fail too. Perhaps "There must always be a Stark at Winterfell" is the last line of defense of the Wall as they always took action when the NW failed in the past (like LC's going to war against each other).

I would agree with the "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" bit, being part of an ancient spell or enchantment that protects the North and the Wall from the Others, except for that at the end of ADWD, a Bolton is in Winterfell and Mel is thinking about how her magic is stronger at the Wall.

The Night's Watch has betrayed it's LC before, the different castles have gone to war with each other before.

Now if the NW is wiped out by the Wildlings after the assassination attempt of Jon, I could see that somehow effecting the magic.

Why do you think the Others sent two wight assassins to take out the LC of the KG? Because the NW personnified in the body of the LC is something magical and they want to weaken that magic.

Or just because they know enough of the NW that Mormont is a strong LC and taking him, along with other key officers out, would throw the NW into chaos and weaken them. It is a standard tactic, there does not have to be anything magical to it. There is nothing hinting at the LC position having any special magical juice to it.

I don't think it should be taken for granted that the White Walkers will invade Westeros. Martin is the kind of guy who could write up a huge Cassandra Plot, only for Cassandra to turn out wrong. That is, the Night's Watch stressing about the Others might lead to stupid decisions and more misery than the Others themselves will. For instance, the Others could be out to drive all Men back south of the Wall, and be content with that. The Night's Watch could then attack them, or flee, or go rogue, or fall apart in infighting without the Others lifting a finger. Or the Others aren't as coordinated and homogeneous as they seem, and the ones attacking the Watch are a frige group who'd be hunted and taken out by the more established "police force" of the White Walker society, while the Watch looks on in confusion, wondering why the heck the ice demons are suddenly killing another.

That being said, though, while it shouldn't be taken for granted that the Others will pass the wall, it remains the most likely course of action. They could either go through the Wall itself, around it somehow, or tear down a section or two (but not all of it - Martin loves ruins, and he likes them to stand for pretty much eternity as reminders of past grandeur). What they'll do then remains a mystery, though. It wouldn't be in Martin's style to have them fall under the "always chaotic evil" archetype. These aren't the orcs of Mordor or Dementors or zombies or the villains from a kids TV show. They don't exist purely to be evil or to massacre humans. They've got to have some other purpose for their existence.

Another food for thought: Look up how many times necromancers and necromancy are referred to in TWoIaF (and probably a few other places in the main series). Combined with mages eerily skilled in glamours, it's not even certain that the Others who attack the Watch and the Wildlings are the same as the Others of legend. It could be pretenders of some sort, who have heard the legends and base their appearance on them, though I find it unlikely. But nothing should really be excluded.

I think the Wall will fail. There are some secret passages, protected by magic, preventing the Others to cross. But with the death of so many brothers, the magic is weakening. With Jon's temporary death, and the slaughter which should follow, I expect the magic to be gone. We should soon see Others everywhere in Westeros.

There is also the possibility that the wall does not fall yet the others are able to breach it.

The long anticipation of winter has led me to believe this will be a rather extreme and harsh winter. If enough snow falls, some hundred feet or so, the others could potentially stroll right on over the wall.

Of course the wall could also come down, really its up to GGRm and all the speculation in the world will not change that

Well it has to. The horn of winter/joramun (is that how you spell it?) wasn't written in there to give mance an extra few lines and Jon some thinking time.

The horn of winter doesn't bring down the wall, it 'wakes giants from the earth'. Joramun blew it when he was king beyond the wall

blowing the horn to bring down the wall is just a story mance made up so the NW would let them through.

as to what exactly the 'giants' are, no one knows for sure

The horn of winter doesn't bring down the wall, it 'wakes giants from the earth'. Joramun blew it when he was king beyond the wall

blowing the horn to bring down the wall is just a story mance made up so the NW would let them through.

Yeah, sorry I know the horn is meant to wake giants but it's said that it will cause the wall to fall as well.

Those story's had been about for a while so it's a fair assumption to assume the horn would break the wall.

And the horn jon saw was the lie mance was telling to let them through. It was a fake. The real one is still hidden, and if we know GRRM wouldn't leave something that big hanging around.

Yeah it seems like it's a bit of a Chekhov's Gun. A massive, magic, very important wall that's heavily talked about. And we've been reminded that it can fall/fail. Literal falling? A weakening of magic? Dunno how exactly it will 'fall,' but I'm guessing it will one way or another.

Do you see a parallel between the NW vows "the horn that wakes the sleepers". And the Joramun's horn that wakes giants from the earth? Could it be that Jon or someone else has to blow a horn to wake sleepers? And generally earth is related to volcanoes and fire. Could the giants be dragons?

ETA: there are also references to stone dragons, like asleep dragons.

Archived