Why Jaime's Trek to Dorne Is Bad for Jaime

Ser Jonny Loker

Given everything that Jaime has learned thus far, you'd think he'd know better than to just follow his first instinct rather than think through something logically. So, because he's going to Dorne, it looks like he's starting to show that he cares about his inbred bastards, which is fine, because he's supposed to be a "good guy" at this point... as good as somebody can be in the Ice and Fire universe. However, this is something that Jaime has never communicated on any other occasion, and he's been back in King's Landing for over a season now. So him making a decision to go to Dorne and possibly start a war to get his daughter back that he's only now starting to care about, but has never shown that he cares about, is problematic.

Another problem I have with it is that he's appeasing Cersei. Right when she blows up about the Dornish threat, Jaime's all like "don't you worry, hun; I'll make it all better." It's like he doesn't realize that she's totally crazy and he's being played for a fool. This is him sinking to new depths of stupidity, even lower than the rape scene that wasn't a rape scene but was still a rape scene and was in front of a cadaver.

Lastly, Jaime is going on this delicate, special mission and he only has one hand. This is fine, I guess, but in the show they're showing that he's basically given up on training. He looks pitiful when he fights, and in his first encounter in Dorne, he gets thrown a serious plot gift bone.

However... one bonus of the Dornish adventure is Bronn. In fact, at this point, Bronn's a more interesting character (not just a better swordsman). This bonus, however, is bad for Jaime... because Jaime used to be the most interesting character and at this point he's going the most basic, predictable route.

Archived