What is LF doing?!

Uldra I

I've been trying to figure out whether LF is systematically trying kill off every single one of the Starks, or if he really is trying to help Sansa take back Winterfell and avenge the RW.

What do you think, & why?

Look at it as planning for all possible outcomes.

1) Sansa stays alive. Stannis takes Winterfell. With Sansa there, he gets Stannis off his back by explaining how he rescued her from KL.

2) Sansa stays alive. Boltons keep Winterfell. He rallies other northern lords to take them out.

3) Sansa dies. Stannis takes Winterfell. He explains to Stannis how he tried to get a stark in Winterfell.

4) Sansa dies. Boltons keep Winterfell. He rallies other northern lords to take them out with very little prompting.

I don't think he's planning for 5 & 6: Sansa escapes Winterfell. If Stannis wins, he goes after LF. If the Boltons win, they go after LF.

I doubt he cares one way or the other about avenging the Red Wedding, and I don't think he wants Sansa dead, but he's willing to accept her as collateral damage. Because he's a sociopath.

Meh, pretty sure LF will never make it back to the North.

Aye. I think if he gets back he will die. I am sure Sansa will meet Stannis with Theon at the end of this season. After that, Sansa will be with Stannis and there is no need for Littlefinger, whom supposedly Sansa will kill in the books.

I am calling it: Roose kills Littlefinge if he returns to Winterfell.

EDIT: Theon, not Tyrion

I seriously doubt LF gets killed. He's Sansas to kill.

IMO his plan can be very similar to a possible book plan with HtH assuming he doesn't know Ramsey is a psychopath. He lets Sansa marry and get and heir then takes out the husband and marry her himself. That's what he really wants - to be the most powerful man in Westeros and get the girl who is even more beautiful than catelyn.

Of course it won't happen that way in either book or show...

Taylor Swift (poster, not the nutjob) predicted that Varys kills LF in King's Landing, considering this is D&D we're talking about, I could very well see it happening.

I'm pretty sure Cersei will make Littlefinger the Hand of the King, which would mean he is in great (grave) danger if he stays in King's Landing all the way to the end of the season. However I think he will leave right after Cersei gets captured even if he is the Hand, so I think he's safe.

I think show Littlefinger is basically planning a full scale takeover of the whole of Westeros. He also has a long list of people he hates and plans to kill off or debase by controlling them which basically includes all the major Lords in the Seven Kingdoms, and their families, because they didn't show him enough respect.

Either that or he's a secret Targ.

Look at it as planning for all possible outcomes.

1) Sansa stays alive. Stannis takes Winterfell. With Sansa there, he gets Stannis off his back by explaining how he rescued her from KL.

2) Sansa stays alive. Boltons keep Winterfell. He rallies other northern lords to take them out.

3) Sansa dies. Stannis takes Winterfell. He explains to Stannis how he tried to get a stark in Winterfell.

4) Sansa dies. Boltons keep Winterfell. He rallies other northern lords to take them out with very little prompting.

I don't think he's planning for 5 & 6: Sansa escapes Winterfell. If Stannis wins, he goes after LF. If the Boltons win, they go after LF.

I doubt he cares one way or the other about avenging the Red Wedding, and I don't think he wants Sansa dead, but he's willing to accept her as collateral damage. Because he's a sociopath.

This! Littlefinger is an opportunistic, he moves his pawns and waits for the next step of the game. He will join with the side that has the best chance to win (that's exactly what he did after Robert's death, and after Joffrey's).

When the trailer came out and when we saw Littlefinger in King's Landing, I thought immediatly that he could be in Kevan's place during that famous scene with Varys... And since Cersei has invited him in King's Landing, I'm more convinced than ever!

Very interesting the idea of Littlefinger becoming Hand of the King and taking Kevan's place. However, the issue I have with that is if Cersei is actually THAT stupid (i know i know maybe she is). Think of it like this, though. With Kevan as hand of the king, she at least has the familial ties. Maybe she can't control him in the way she thought she could, but there is still some influence. With Littlefinger, I have to believe even Cersei knows he's a loose cannon. How could she think having such a person as Hand to the King would even remotely be a good idea, particularly given that the Hand can have such a great influence over the king, who is till a mere boy.

I've been trying to figure out whether LF is systematically trying kill off every single one of the Starks, or if he really is trying to help Sansa take back Winterfell and avenge the RW.

What do you think, & why?

Littlefinger has always been one of the most difficult characters to pin down, both on the show and in the books. But I am sure of a few things:

1.) Loyalty is a quality he does not possess. If he is loyal to anyone or anything, it is himself.

2.) He is an opportunist, and will abandon one faction as soon as it suits his needs, as long as he can find a way to ingratiate himself to the next top dog.

3.) Sansa Stark is only as valuable as her name (to LF). He does not love her, not like he loved her mother. Her best interests are not his, and he will use her as a piece in his game. His speech to Sansa to get her to go along with this marriage was true. If Sansa somehow finds a way to get vengeance on the Bolton's for the Red Wedding, then the eldest Stark child holds Winterfell and owes him everything for getting her out of KL and getting her into the game. If she is "broken" by Ramsay, well then he still has provided the key to the North to the Bolton's and they are in his debt. Win/win for ole Petyr.

4.) I don't believe for one second that he does not know much of anything about Ramsay Bolton. That line was intended to give Ramsay the impression that his reputation has either not escaped the North or the immediate vicinity of where he has committed his many crimes. He knows the danger he is putting Sansa into, and he is willing to take that risk to get what he wants.

5.) His endgame, near as I can tell, is the Iron Throne. He appears to be manipulating the situation, presently, to create a sort of Vale-North-Reach alliance against the Lannisters. Remember, there are scenes in trailers for this season that put him in King's Landing speaking with Olenna Tyrell in his brothel. He is playing the Bolton's and Tyrell's in order to gain yet more influence and power.

6.) The crows will come home to roost. He will get his comeuppance, but I highly doubt it will happen this season.

Thanks for all the great input. I really wanted to believe that LF really cares about poor Sansa, and that she at least has someone looking out for her finally. It seemed believable that LF was really trying to help her regain WF for the Starks, but then there was LF's conversation with Roose where he says he wants the throne and how his gift of Sansa was a means to his ends. It's really disturbing to see Sansa abused this way... Abused AGAIN!

I am beginning to agree with everything Harry Potterz said, and most everyone else here too... LF is spending his currency (Sansa) to buy the Iron Throne. Poor girl. At least she isn't such a "little bird" anymore, but more like a Hawk.

Setting up a game plan.

If Lannisters come back, he's in with them, if Tyrell's win he has his 'friendship' with them, if they both fall he has the Boltons, and if Stannis wins he can round to Stannis. Also he 'holds' the Vale and Riverlands.

He's a man leaving himself many options. Makes sense. All I wanna know is why Roose would backstab the Lannisters. Does he wanna be King in the North?

I hope the Roose/White Walker theories are correct, and Roose is a super evil vampire like lord. I hope.

Archived