If Stannis died at SE, would Robert have cared?

Considering that his death would mean his men would likely surrender SE which in turns leads to little Renly being a hostage (assuming he is still alive), the Stormlands being completely overrun, Bob being shamed, desertion from the rebel army and a massive host from the Reach coming up to fight him which also would've likely in turn convince Tywin to side with the Loyalist which would mean in the end that Bob is fucked. Ned and Jon could easily bail out of the rebellion as their homelands are nearly impossible to invade and not surrounded by enemies, but Old Tully and Bob would be in some deep shit.

Yea I'm pretty sure Bob cared tremendously , if not for his own sake, his allies sake and the sake of winning the rebellion. Stannis' defense of Storm's End was one of the if not the most important factor in the rebellion.

As for actually caring for Stan? Well they seem to have mostly grown apart after the rebellion so I sure Bob actually cared more for him back then. Especially considering how Stan just martyred himself for Bob's cause. He would be incredibly enraged for sure more than he was at the Trident and you can ask Rhaegar what happens when you meet a pissed off Baratheon

Robert would have cared on multiple levels. Losing SE to his enemies, the loss of his brother and initial heir, etc. I could envision Robert going full revenge mode and laying waste to the rebel lords of the Reach. The odds of a negotiated peace with House Tyrell diminish precipitously with the death of Stannis.

GRRM already said despite Robert not liking his brothers much... he loved them, and vice-versa... like the majority of brothers in real life who don´t get along... add that to the fact Stannis died holding his brother's home and choosing him in detriment of his King

So, yes... he would care and grieve until it was time to let go... not like Lyanna's case or a possible Ned death prior to his own though

Considering that his death would mean his men would likely surrender SE which in turns leads to little Renly being a hostage (assuming he is still alive), the Stormlands being completely overrun, Bob being shamed, desertion from the rebel army and a massive host from the Reach coming up to fight him which also would've likely in turn convince Tywin to side with the Loyalist which would mean in the end that Bob is fucked. Ned and Jon could easily bail out of the rebellion as their homelands are nearly impossible to invade and not surrounded by enemies, but Old Tully and Bob would be in some deep shit.

Yea I'm pretty sure Bob cared tremendously , if not for his own sake, his allies sake and the sake of winning the rebellion. Stannis' defense of Storm's End was one of the if not the most important factor in the rebellion.

As for actually caring for Stan? Well they seem to have mostly grown apart after the rebellion so I sure Bob actually cared more for him back then. Especially considering how Stan just martyred himself for Bob's cause. He would be incredibly enraged for sure more than he was at the Trident and you can ask Rhaegar what happens when you meet a pissed off Baratheon

Solid analysis. Pragmatically, Robert would be screwed. Emotionally, he did feel something for Stannis.

So, Davos is the true hero of Roberts rebellion??

If Stannis dies and Robert still crushes Rhaegar on the Trident, then I'm guessing the chance of a peaceful resolution in the south diminishes. And both sides would know this. After killing or capturing both of his heirs, the Tyrells would probably attempt to bend the knee in the knowledge there would be repercussions, and I think Ned and Jon at least would support this. That said, I think Bob would find it difficult to let this go, probably putting the Tyrells just below the Targs on his hate list. However, he understood that a relatively unbloodied reach would've been a challenge, and a potentially pyrrhic one, even with Tywin on side. So, as much as he would like to, I don't see him going to war with the Reach, but he would definitely make them pay.

It's probably safe to assume Viserys would not have lasted long had Stannis died.

Let´s put it this way... Robert wins the trident and the IT but Stannis (or/and Renly) gets executed by Mace or Randyll...

He would hunt them to the back of the beyond if need be... and smash their heads

Ned is more to him than his brothers... but they are HIS brothers, his blood that died FOR him... it would be nasty i'm sure of it

I'm sure that despite their tense relationship Robert loved Stannis.

If Stannis got killed, Robert would likely be pissed off. Mace Tyrell can expect all Tyrell titles to be revoked, and Hightower would probably rule The Reach instead.

unlike adult Renly, Robert would of at least be a little upset about Stannis' death.

Renly would likely have expressed regret for Stannis's death the same as how Stannis does to him.

All the Baratheon brothers loved each other, they just didn't like each other. Of course Robert would be sad if Stannis died. They both lost their parents, and even though they were never close, I'm sure Robert was always grateful he had actual family supporting him.

Archived