Jason Mallister and Gendry

pettes

I was rereading aGoT and noticed that the Lord who paid Tobho Mott for Gendrys apprenticeship is probably Jason Mallister, Lord of Seagard. Here is Mott's description of him to Ned.

He was stout, round of shoulder, not as tall as you. Brown beard, but there was a bit of red in it I'll swear. He wore a Rich cloak, that I do remember, Heavy Purple velvet worked With silver threads, but the Hood shadowed his face and I never did see him Clear.

In the next chapter Catelyn and ser Rodrik passes Lord Jason and his retinue on the kingsroad. Here is Catelyns description of the guards and Lord Jason himself:

The banner in the hand of the foremost rider hung sodden and limp, but the guardsmen wore indigo cloaks and on their shoulders flew the silver eagle of Seagard.

His Brown hair was salted With white now, his face chiseled gaunt by time, yet the years had not touched his pride. He rode like a man who feared nothing.

Lastly, in the Chapter after Catelyns, Septa Mordane Points out Lord Mallister at the hands tourney:

Septa Mordane pointed out Lord Jason Mallister in indigo chased with silver, the wings of an eagle on his helm. He had cut Down Three of Rhaegars bannermen on the Trident.

Gendry is of an age With Robb wich means he had to be consumed during RR, Mallister fought on the trident With Robert. Is it possible that his daughter or any other Close relative was in the camp and there had a good time With Robert?

Why would Mallister pay for Gendry, and can this have anything to say for the future of the series?

Gendry was conceived after Robert's Rebellion... And he and his mom lived in KL, where Robert had only arrived after the Sack..

During A Game of Thrones, Jason had brown hair with white through it, and about a year later, he's gone all white... Doesn't sound like he would be brown haired with red in it only a few months before, right? ;)

Few days ago there was a thread that it could be Lord Belmore...

I still think it was Varys... What problem this master of disguise would have with making a wig...

More characteristic sth in suspicious person's apperance is, more I belive he is someone other disguised. ..

Varys wanted Mott to focus on his hair and suit ( with colors that could be Daynes, Belmores, Mallisters & many others ), not on who he really is

Purple and indigo are not usually considered interchangeable. Cloaks are easily changed. Gendry's remembers his mother being a whore; Mallister or any other lord would not pay Gendry's apprentice fee but leave the daughter penniless. In short, this theory has nothing going for it.

Few days ago there was a thread that it could be Lord Belmore...

I still think it was Varys... What problem this master of disguise would have with making a wig...

More characteristic sth in suspicious person's apperance is, more I belive he is someone other disguised. ..

Varys wanted Mott to focus on his hair and suit ( with colors that could be Daynes, Belmores, Mallisters & many others ), not on who he really is

Varys had a history of supporting bobs bastards

I got the impression that Gendry had been at Tobho's since he was old enough to be apprenticed. Since he's around Robb and Jon's age, that means he was probably at the shop for several years before AGoT. He's obviously skilled enough to make the bull's helm.

I agree with those who think Varys was Gendry's sponsor. Interesting that the decision was made to place the boy with a Qohorik smith, though... very interesting indeed.

It's proven Varys did it. Varys even told Tyrion he was the one who made arrangements for Gendry to join the watch so why wouldn't he be the one to pay Mott also to take him on for an apprenticeship?

Just another reason why Varys is such a fascinating character. He is the definition of gray. He has some sinister and greedy motives but also has a compassionate side... Helping out Roberts bastards/trying to save Ned from execution/ apologizing for shooting Kevan efc

Rhaenys, I agree this is not the case but I don't understand what you are saying. A few months before? There is no way Gendry would be as skilled as he is if he was only an apprentice for a few months.

Ah, no, true, I misread the OP... So ignore that :)

Still, with Varys actually speaking about ensuring that one of Roberts bastards was smuggled out of the city, and the description of the person, and not simply the clothing, all points to Varys, imo.

Archived