The Future of House Targaryen?

One thing that has been irking me throughout the whole series is what will become of House Targaryen if/when Aegon or Dany dies? I believe that Aegon is legitimate, so he could continue it, but unless she is somehow cured of her barrenness, Dany is unable to continue the family line. So, if House Targaryen is to continue, pretty much one of two things would need to happen:

a ) Aegon (IF he is legit) fathers a child on someone. Based on what we know, if he does, the mother would most likely be Arianne Martell, as it fits for both story and political purposes. It ensures the support of House Martell, and gives him an heir. (It also could serve as a bit of a parallel to Rhaegar and Elia, to make Aegon's lineage less questionable to the general population.)

b ) Dany is cured of her barrenness, though this could already be a possibly solved problem because it is shown in her last ADWD chapter that she has her moon blood again. (If this is so, feel free to reply with possible fathers of Dany's child!)

I am a big supporter of House Targaryen (despite a few gross traditions and bad kings (looks askance at Maegor the Cruel and Aegon IV), they have generally been good rulers!), and I believe that they deserve the throne! Please tell me what you think will happen!

Welcome! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I don't believe that Danny is barren but I don't believe that the end of Dance showed us her miscarriage either. In either case I do believe that without a male heir and remembering about the Wold book, the Targs will cease to exist. Their blood might survive but not their name.

they have generally been good rulers!), and I believe that they deserve the throne!

Nice jokes!

No, she's not barren. All of Mirr Maz Durr's checklists have been checked of. Even if they haven't her not bearing children isn't the final point of the prophecy. She could have said "when you need to use the toilet" in there and it wouldn't mean daenerys would never have to use the toilet again.

And it was probably Daario's kid, seeing as they were having sex at any time available and weren't bothered about pregnancies.

Also Maegor was cruel, but he did his job pretty well. It could be argued that without him house Targaryen would have been wiped out by the faith.

I would like to see the most that the kingdom of Westeros falls apart and there will be 7 or more kingdoms from what Dany's descendants get Dragonstone, the Blackwater Bay and (a part of) the Crownlands with the Reed Keep destroyed. Yes, I'd like to see Dany to die during childbirth and give birth to twins: a boy and a girl to be able to "reproduce" and bring on the Targaryen name. Or go back to Valyria to try to build a new empire from nothing, but I think it wouldn't work.

And in this case for Aegon I'd like either of this 2:

-be a Blackfyre, marry Sansa, and take over the Riverlands with their royal seat of Harrenhal.

-die without any heir.

I would like to see the most that the kingdom of Westeros falls apart and there will be 7 or more kingdoms from what Dany's descendants get Dragonstone, the Blackwater Bay and (a part of) the Crownlands with the Reed Keep destroyed.

ASOIAF hasn't been set in the time when they were separate kingdoms so we can't fully understand that wars would have been constant during that time period. It would be even more disastrous if they did split.

Dany isn't barren in my opinion. It seems Mirri just said that as part of her cursing, but it seems more like a metaphor than anything else. We didn't even see Rhaego stillborn, not claiming he is alive, but was he really a monster? Was Mirri lying to shock Daenerys? We will never know.

I think Aegon is a Blackfyre by the female line, Serra seemed to be a Blackfyre herself and she came from Lys, it is known the Blackfyres were in Lys for a time and she can be from that family. I bet he is Illyrio and Serra's son. Aegon died when he was one year old, Jon Connington would never know if that boy was the son of Rhaegar or not. I believe Jon Connigton really thinks that boy is Aegon.

I don't think house Targaryen will die, but it'll survive through Daenerys who can save the family name by a matrilineal marriage.

I don't believe Jon Snow will be a king, no matter if people tell me otherwise, he is still a bastard to me, even if he was Rhaegar and Lyanna's and he is a brother of the Night's Watch, he swore a vow.

I can't see anyone, including a Targ, ruling a united seven kingdoms, at leas as we know it. I don't see Aegon surviving the series, fake or not, or Arriane for that matter. If they do produce an heir, I wouldn't hold out much hope of its survival. An un-barren Dany will get to Westeros eventually, and probably help kill Aegon. She could then become queen, die fighting the Others, go back to the house with the red door, the possibilities are endless. But I think it's likely she will produce heirs, but I have no idea who the father(s) would be, and what their role in the future would be.

As for Jon Snow, he took a vow. Simple (probably not).

Personally, I don't want any Targs in Westeros ruling anything. Split the 7 kingdoms, put Shireen on the throne, anything to avoid a dynasty of inbreds who produce way too many bad, bloodthirsty or insane kings. But that's a biased personal preference.

If Dany, as I think likely, dies in childbirth, then her son or daughter will in all likelihood renew Targaryen rule over Westeros.

Alternatively, all 3 heads of the dragon and all 3 dragons die to put an end to the Others once and for all, and thousands of years later House Targaryen is remembered as the reason why Planetos has normal seasons.

c) Jon is revealed to be Rhaegar's legitimate son, and manages to procreate for House Targaryen.

d) Jon and or Tyrion, if A+J=T, are revealed to be Rhaegar's bastard son but are legitimized by the crown and manages to procreate for House Targaryen.

Dany isn't barren in my opinion. It seems Mirri just said that as part of her cursing, but it seems more like a metaphor than anything else. We didn't even see Rhaego stillborn, not claiming he is alive, but was he really a monster? Was Mirri lying to shock Daenerys? We will never know.

We don't even know whether Mirri had any actual powers. TWOAIF tells us that Targaryans giving birth to monsters is something that can happen. Drogo could have been poisoned.

Generally speaking, prophesies and magic can work or fail.

No, she's not barren. All of Mirr Maz Durr's checklists have been checked of.

I don't know... While one could say the sun part was fulfilled, I'm uncertain about the rest...

If Dany isn't barren then she better start being careful about who she is having unprotected sex with. As for the Tags themselves all I can say is that Robert and Tywin seem to have done a bad job of getting rid of them. It seems like you can't flip over a rock in Westerns without finding one, or a supposed one.

If Dany isn't barren then she better start being careful about who she is having unprotected sex with.

Yep, she isn't going to be having lucky miscarries in the wilderness where no one is the wiser forever if she keeps this up.

Archived