Lady stoneheart

The way I see it, my Lady is clearly an intelligent being. She communicates her motives to the BWB. She is searching for her daughters. She remembers Brienne and her oath.

And she's not a "zombie." She's a revenant.

In many ways she's both. She is still smart enough to plan her revenge, but she is the incarnation of said revenge. I've said my opinion on why she is the way she is before, but Stoneheart is such an interesting character.

She was brought back the same way that Beric was, which shows that she is not just a zombie. The difference between the two, however, is that while Beric died with the notion of justice and serving (and failing) Robert and Ned, all that she died with is the grief and rage she felt after Robb's death. When they were brought back to life, they remained fixed in these last thoughts, or rather last emotions that they died with. This is shown in the actions of Beric as a charismatic rebel who tried to follow King Robert even after his death, and gave his life for Ned's (whose command it was that he failed) wife. It is also shown in the acts of Stoneheart, who died in a duality of grief over the death of her last son, and (perhaps more importantly in terms of her transformation) the act of killing a Frey. These two things are what constantly drive her throughout her second life, as she takes command over the Brotherhood.

To conclude, although her body was brought back, her conscience is gone. So in my opinion, she is not a mindless zombie, but more the shadow of her original self. Stoneheart is still Catelyn Stark, but not as we knew her. Stoneheart is the very worst of her. Stoneheart is the what is left when her soul else is taken away, but that doesn't make her mindless. Indeed, it just means that her mind is fixated purely on revenge, something the Freys are beginning to realise.

In many ways she's both. She is still smart enough to plan her revenge, but she is the incarnation of said revenge. I've said my opinion on why she is the way she is before, but Stoneheart is such an interesting character.

She was brought back the same way that Beric was, which shows that she is not just a zombie. The difference between the two, however, is that while Beric died with the notion of justice and serving (and failing) Robert and Ned, all that she died with is the grief and rage she felt after Robb's death. When they were brought back to life, they remained fixed in these last thoughts, or rather last emotions that they died with. This is shown in the actions of Beric as a charismatic rebel who tried to follow King Robert even after his death, and gave his life for Ned's (whose command it was that he failed) wife. It is also shown in the acts of Stoneheart, who died in a duality of grief over the death of her last son, and (perhaps more importantly in terms of her transformation) the act of killing a Frey. These two things are what constantly drive her throughout her second life, as she takes command over the Brotherhood.

To conclude, although her body was brought back, her conscience is gone. So in my opinion, she is not a mindless zombie, but more the shadow of her original self. Stoneheart is still Catelyn Stark, but not as we knew her. Stoneheart is the very worst of her. Stoneheart is the what is left when her soul else is taken away, but that doesn't make her mindless. Indeed, it just means that her mind is fixated purely on revenge, something the Freys are beginning to realise.

I believe she may have also lost her mind, as we can see from her final moments. She starts laughing when she feels worms moving through her rotten flesh.

I believe she may have also lost her mind, as we can see from her final moments. She starts laughing when she feels worms moving through her rotten flesh.

What? When was this? Not in Storm or Feast, that's for sure.

What? When was this? Not in Storm or Feast, that's for sure.

"Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed." - ASoS p. 704

Blood is running down her face and hands. She is definitely losing it a little bit, but not completely crazy.

ETA: I am not sure where "worms moving through her flesh" came from. I was just guessing. That does not sound familiar at all to me.

"Slow red worms crawled along her arms and under her clothes. It tickles. That made her laugh until she screamed." - ASoS p. 704

Blood is running down her face and hands. She is definitely losing it a little bit, but not completely crazy.

ETA: I am not sure where "worms moving through her flesh" came from. I was just guessing. That does not sound familiar at all to me.

Worms actually appear INSIDE the flesh, so when I read "along her arms" I assumed it meant in her flesh because it's what makes sense. I could be wrong though, maybe someone with a better understanding of biology can correct me, or prove me right.

Worms actually appear INSIDE the flesh, so when I read "along her arms" I assumed it meant in her flesh because it's what makes sense. I could be wrong though, maybe someone with a better understanding of biology can correct me, or prove me right.

I can assure you that worms exist both inside and outside of human bodies. :cheers:

Yeah, I always took that as a colorful way to describe the streams of blood flowing down her body. Nothing literal.

To conclude, although her body was brought back, her conscience is gone.

Not necessarily. She'd need a conscience to search for her children, and to keep Brienne alive to tell her story and give her a chance to prove her oath and reclaim her honor. If she had no conscience, she would have executed Brienne right when she saw the Lannister colors all over her.

Archived