The search for the most 2000-oughts movie ever

Quorra

Pixar is a good keyword.

But we can't avoid discussing the concept of "post-9/11" in this thread. It affected Batman, it affected James Bond. Heroes became as nasty as the situation required them to. Gentlemen turned grimdark because they had to. That, to me, is probably the central theme of the noughties. I'm sure y'all can think of many more franchises that reflect this.

Pixar is a good keyword.

But we can't avoid discussing the concept of "post-9/11" in this thread. It affected Batman, it affected James Bond. Heroes became as nasty as the situation required them to. Gentlemen turned grimdark because they had to. That, to me, is probably the central theme of the noughties. I'm sure y'all can think of many more franchises that reflect this.

Not a movie, but 24 (although it was created and shot before 9/11) reflects this- of course, it is the most oughty series of the oughts, no contest there.

For movies, the Bourne trilogy, specially the last two movies (made both post 9/11 and post 24) clearly is either the #1 or at least a serious contender:

• Dark and gritty;

The lead is an anti-hero with memory issues (same as Memento and Wolverine in the X-men, and there's probably more);

The anti-hero with a dark past (both movies mentioned above and a ton of others);

The anti-hero isn't above murder, torture, or whatever gets him results, rarely if ever questioning his methods (tons of examples of this);

The last two movies have non-stop Shakycam, something that is also very characteristic of the oughts;

Deals with shadowy government agencies doing shadowy things in the name of stopping terrorism and/or threats to the US;

And there's probably even more stuff I'm forgetting. Seriously, I honestly doubt there's a candidate that is a better fit.

all these had a political presence

2002 Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - CIA officer

2005 Good Night and Good Luck

2005 Syriana

2006 The Good German

2009 The Men Who Stare at Goats

No "big deals" but

collectively I call them a thing

Apart from Syriana, none of these movies really qualifies as political (Ides of March does, but it's from 2011, and it was a flop). And none of them were that big of a deal.

Syriana, Michael Clayton, and Up in the Air were all nominated for Academy Awards (several, in the case of the latter two). All of the movies I mentioned had nakedly political themes- have you seen them?

Archived