who wins 300 giants vs 3000 knights

You are king of Westeros congratulations, and you are one cocky son of a B and you here word that the new king beyond the wall has been talking smack that 300 of his men could best 1000 of your best knights. So you say hey F you I'm the greatest and you bring 3000 knights with you hey they might try some sneaky shit there wildlings, when you arrive you find a medium sized camp of wildlings and the king is standing bent over showing you a very unruly site, you order a full assault on horse even though every one of your commanders says it's a trap, your the king you give the orders F that. So you charge and 300 giants emerge from tents the king beyond the wall true to his word.

All giants are armed with wooden spears and crappy shields

WHO WINS ??

If it's like a suprise without any Intel the giants would probably squash them like grapes until the rest retreated.

If the knights have some Intel about giants over there, I think a decent human commander could plan a strategy to take them out.

I don't know if this is true but I get the idea from the novels that the average intellect of a giant is no match for the average human (why wouldn't giants be running Westeros if they were?)

Depends really, in the way OP described it it is a straight up charge of 3000 mounted armored knights against 300 giants. The average giant is around maybe 12 feet tall and the average man on a warhorse around nine or so-ish feet tall. The giants might have a slight reach advantage depending on how long our lances are too. That said if the giants move in formation we are going to have a hard time of it, if they don't are spread out and acting on their own my knights could face down and isolate a giant with ten men and horses each ridding at full charge with full force behind their lances. The more giants killed in the initial charge the more men are freed up to aid the others in ridding down and cutting down the other giants. I would give the edge to my knights either way, but if the giants stay in a tight formation and work together it will be a damn bloody affair for my men.

Unless every knight is Godfry Farring the Giant Slayer...........................giants hands down.

Even when arrows hit them........there has been a few scenes where a Giant would get nailed by tons of arrows and keep going

Depends really, in the way OP described it it is a straight up charge of 3000 mounted armored knights against 300 giants. The average giant is around maybe 12 feet tall and the average man on a warhorse around nine or so-ish feet tall. The giants might have a slight reach advantage depending on how long our lances are too. That said if the giants move in formation we are going to have a hard time of it, if they don't are spread out and acting on their own my knights could face down and isolate a giant with ten men and horses each ridding at full charge with full force behind their lances. The more giants killed in the initial charge the more men are freed up to aid the others in ridding down and cutting down the other giants. I would give the edge to my knights either way, but if the giants stay in a tight formation and work together it will be a damn bloody affair for my men.

It would have to be a Dorthraki strategy.

Ride up to do some damage (horseback) then fly back and let the next wave come in, so just chipping away at them and using soeed to create space. That said think the giants would still win

Knights. Not as braindead as Dothraki to charge repeatedly into disaster. If first shock at the center fails, aiming for the flanks and repeated attacks won't. There were close to 300 giants at the Battle of Castle Black, plus mammoths and tens of thousands of support infantry and hundreds of cavalry. less than a thousand mounted fighters working with thier brains, from knights on barded horses and wearing full plate to mounted bowmen in simple jacks, took them down all the same in the end. And that was when the giants were riding a mammoth with a dozen bowmen on top of it's wooden tower. On foot, with spears, they lack anything to attack the knights at range and would only be even easier to defeat.

Didn't Donal Noye and a couple men defeat the king of giants? I would guess a good cavalry charge would give the knights the advantage.

Donal Noye and IIRC 4 others. 2 crossbowmen shot off a dozen bolts into it first as it was crawling at them, then the spearmen stabbed him, then Noye was the last, stabbed him in the neck. Stupid all in all, considering that they call it out that they have perfectly good murder holes to avoid the need to stand in a small group at the entrance... Always seemd like an underwhelming and needless death to me rather than heroic...

Either way the giant was far larger than average, and a knight's lance has far more punch and reach than a boy's arm shoving a spear through the bars of a gate. Not to mention that insteat of using said murder holes, they were attacking him from the front, where he is likely wearing armour and is expecting. Godry shoved his lance at a giant's back.

Knights. Not as braindead as Dothraki to charge repeatedly into disaster. If first shock at the center fails, aiming for the flanks and repeated attacks won't. There were close to 300 giants at the Battle of Castle Black, plus mammoths and tens of thousands of support infantry and hundreds of cavalry. less than a thousand mounted fighters working with thier brains, from knights on barded horses and wearing full plate to mounted bowmen in simple jacks, took them down all the same in the end. And that was when the giants were riding a mammoth with a dozen bowmen on top of it's wooden tower. On foot, with spears, they lack anything to attack the knights at range and would only be even easier to defeat.

The trouble is, it doesn't seem like horses will charge a giant. In fact, the giants (granted, on mammoths) shattered the center column of charging knights, and then held their own in the ensuing melee.

The giants were climbing onto their mammoths, though, and the knights on their barded horses did not like that at all; he could see how the coursers and destriers screamed and scattered at the sight of those lumbering mountains.

. . .

The mammoths had shattered the center column,

. . .

Only the giants on their mammoths were holding, hairy islands in a red steel sea.

. . .

Its done, Jon thought, they're breaking.

Jon X, Storm of Swords

My read is that the giants were doing just fine (again, many were on mammoth-back, an advantage the OP denies them) against the knights. They fled because everybody around them fled. They could fight on and accomplish nothing, or flee. Either way the siege was lifted and Stannis' pincer had routed the wilding army.

I should note that it seems like horses are fine with fleeing giants, allowing Godry to earn his nickname:

Jon had seen this one about the castleā€”a knight of great renown, to hear him tell it. During the battle beneath the Wall, Ser Godry Farring had slain a fleeing giant, pounding after him on horseback and driving a lance through his back, then dismounting to hack off the creature's pitiful small head. The queen's men had taken to calling him Godry the Giantslayer.

Archived