Small Questions v. 10100

Whereas Jaime could not inherit Casterly Rock and its incomes apparently he could succeed to his father's position as Warden of the West. The latter title appears to be a miltary rank, the holder of which would be responsible for securing the region's defenses, marshalling its power and leading its armies.

Okay this is what I thought although how would that work in the case Robert baratheon was looking at.

Say Jamie becomes warden of the east

Then the north rebels and Lysa decides not to be a washing machine and declares for rob!!! Does the vale support the lord of the vale or the warden of the east???? Because they swear fealty to the eeryrie?

Then the North rebels and Lysa decides not to be a washing machine and declares for Rob! Does the vale support the lord of the vale or the warden of the East? Because they swear fealty to the Eryrie?

It has happened before:

"Be that as it may. My father sat where I sit now when Lord Eddard came to Sisterton. Our maester urged us to send Stark's head to Aerys, to prove our loyalty. It would have meant a rich reward. The Mad King was open-handed with them as pleased him. By then we knew that Jon Arryn had taken Gulltown, though. Robert was the first man to gain the wall, and slew Marq Grafton with his own hand.

The lords have to decide for themselves, which oath will make their line live on or die out live on eternally in the singer's songs, the one to their overlord Arryn or the one to the Iron Throne. Some of them may actually not have sworn an oath to the Iron Throne, but they might still decide against the odds of the Arryns.

Okay this is what I thought although how would that work in the case Robert baratheon was looking at.

Say Jamie becomes warden of the east

Then the north rebels and Lysa decides not to be a washing machine and declares for rob!!! Does the vale support the lord of the vale or the warden of the east???? Because they swear fealty to the eeryrie?

Power resides where men believes it resides. Most Lords of the Eyrie would surely follow whomevere Lysa apoinyed assuming he was competent.

Dunk was never knighted, and never thinks about having been knighted.

Back to the question of Danaerys getting burnt, I am pretty sure that Danaerys thinks to herself at some point that it was the spear tip but I could be mis remembering that. It could have been Drogons blood as you suggest, but it definitely was not his actual fire or his scales. Dany rides him several times and never gets burnt again from touching his scales, and his fire would have left more than blisters.

Dunk was never knighted, and never thinks about having been knighted.

Back to the question of Danaerys getting burnt, I am pretty sure that Danaerys thinks to herself at some point that it was the spear tip but I could be mis remembering that. It could have been Drogons blood as you suggest, but it definitely was not his actual fire or his scales. Dany rides him several times and never gets burnt again from touching his scales, and his fire would have left more than blisters.

Thank you, I'll try to look it up !

Do we know how the Lothstons lost Harrenhal?

No, although we have some clues:

Ser Illifer the Peniless to Brienne, chapter Brienne IV, AFFC:

"You bear a liar's shield, to which you have no right. My grandfather's grandfather helped kill the last o' Lothston. None since has dared to show that bat, black as the deeds of them that bore it."

The World of Ice and Fire, chapter about The Riverlands:

[Lothsons] Their line was ended in madness and chaos when Lady Danelle Lothston turned to the black arts during the reign of King Maekar I

[Whents] Knights in the service of the Lothstons, they were given Harrenhal as a reward for their service in bringing the Lothstons down

One more time, I have to say that http://asearchoficeandfire.com/is awesome :)

Ah, it would seem so, on first read..

A question though.. Why do you think Dunk hesitated to knight the Fossoway?

You guys have me rereading the hedge knight hahaha. Well listening this time. Very true he does talk about his ears turning red or the old man looking down at him. He does tell a story of being knighted with the robin as the witness hahaha. Very interesting. Glad i came onto the forums

You guys have me rereading the hedge knight hahaha. Well listening this time. Very true he does talk about his ears turning red or the old man looking down at him. He does tell a story of being knighted with the robin as the witness hahaha. Very interesting. Glad i came onto the forums

That was my intent! :)

In case you'd like to solve the mystery on your own, a bit more under spoiler tags.

On phone atm, so can't quote the exact passages, but in short, GRRM has confirmed that Dunk had indeed not been knighted by Arlan. You can notice this by the way Dunk reacts in THK, when asked about his knighting, or when refusing to knight the Fossoway (should Dunk's lie be discovered, the Fossoway would lose status as a knight, and he wouldn't truly have been a knight anyway), but mostly, when Egg's lie is revealed, Dunk thinks to himself something along the lines or "he knew what it was like to want something so much that you'd tell a monstrous lie just to get near."

Sufficient to say, though, that it it is most likely that Dunk will, at one point, be properly knighted. Aegon V was knighted, and judging from his character, he won't accept knighthood from anyone but Dunk.. in addition, Dunk became LC of the KG.. if he already worries and feels guilty now, how can he not be later on?

Hello guys,I have a question concerning Daenerys. I've read the books, but in a different language and I always wanted to ask native english speakers about Dany's order in Astapor. What did she mean by saying "slay every man who wears a tokar or holds a whip"? Every slaver or only male slaver? In my language it's translated as "slay everyone who wears a tokar or holds a whip", but I think the translation is wrong. I'm asking it because I'm a big Dany's fan. I know she made a lot of controversial things, but I don't want to blame her for the things, which she hasn't made. Thank you in advance.

Jon Weirgaryen thank you :). I have to reread all the books in original language to avoid all translation mistakes, but how can you differentiate it? Because I often argue with my friends and I can't provide any proofs of my statement. I'm sorry for these silly questions, but for not native speakers it's hard to see a difference, especially when the official translation contains this mistake.

Welcome to the forum and Small Questions, @Arystan!

At times man would mean "human being" or person, at other times "male human being". And some times it is ambiguous. In your part of the quote, the ambiguity exists. It may go away when you assume Tokar's aren't usually worn by women. Extending the quote to this:

"Slay the Good Masters, slay the soldiers, slay every man who wears a tokar or holds a whip, but harm no child under twelve [...]

... makes it clear to me males are meant, since the exception of children gets added. It tells me Dany thinks about children, she would also name women as "women" if she wanted them included.

Being no native speaker of English either, I may be proven wrong, I'll risk that for now :)

I'm not so sure. Women can be Good Masters (at least in Meereen) and Dany would probably hate them equally as she does the males. When one says valar morghulis (all men must die) it refers to both men and women (presumably children too).

The context is that Dany is angry at slavers, and women can be slavers too (or wives). No point sparing all the female slavers if you're trying to dismantle slavery.

What was Ran's theory regarding Ned, Jon and the Dayne's again? Could someone remind me?

It was something like the KG met Ned at the ToJ, but Lyanna had been taken to Starfall w/baby. Or just the baby was taken to Starfall. Or the alleged baby. (Given the latest all encompassing caveat that everything that happened in the past that is not explicitly spelled out in detail w/two witnesses is only alleged to have happened.)

Archived