[Spoilers All] What do you think Season 5 has spoiled for book readers?

Lord Godric

The further we get into Season 5 the more I can't help but think certain plot lines are revealing the book futures of certain characters. I'm thinking mainly of two characters, Brienne and Sansa, because they have drastically different paths in the show and elements of their story lines from the future books seem to have been revealed now.

Is there anything that you think this season has spoiled for us book-readers?

Basically, all of the TWoW preview chapters are useless now.

Mercy will be the closest we will get with Arya presumably killing Meryn Trant.

Theon could happen with Sansa taking Jeyne Poole's part, but maybe not this season.

All chapters for Arianne, Vicatation, Damphair and Jon Connington are worthless as these characters won't exist on the show.

With Barristan Selmy dead in the tv show we can asume he dies in the battle of Mereen in the books.

Nothing major so far. Barristan's death is expected by most early in WoW, I just hope it's a more suitable death than the one he was given in the show.

I think the change I'm most interested in is Jorah and being merged with Jon Connington. Will we see him lead an advanced attack on Westeros? I'm hoping we see him go out in a blaze of glory rather than letting him die from Greyscale.

Nothing so far. If anything has been spoiled it's been mixed if with D+D's usual deviations, so we have no idea what will happen in TWOW still. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm so glad you started this! I've been wondering the same thing. I really don't want to be spoiled by the show. So far, my plan is to not watch next year unless we have a new book. I have no idea what will happen considering how D & D change the story. So, I am very interested in everybody's thoughts.

I think the heavy emphasis on Greyscale this season seems to imply it'll have a much larger impact in the books via Jon Connington. The fact that they talk about it in the show, and give it to a character likely to return to Westeros soon, makes me think that there must be some kind of epidemic that will strike in Winds of Winter/Dream of Spring.

I actually disagree regarding Sansa and Brienne, simply because their plots are so wildly different in the books and the show. Furthermore, in the show, Brienne doesn't need to rescue Sansa - she has other oaths to fulfill.

The further we get into Season 5 the more I can't help but think certain plot lines are revealing the book futures of certain characters. I'm thinking mainly of two characters, Brienne and Sansa, because they have drastically different paths in the show and elements of their story lines from the future books seem to have been revealed now.

Is there anything that you think this season has spoiled for us book-readers?

I don't agree w/the term "spoiled" but as far as "revealed" it has revealed that Aegon amounts to nothing important and neither does Arianne Martell.

Greyscale is going to be a lot more important than almost anybody believed, probably coming to Westeros and causing an infection.

Its a little to early to know for sure if Euron Greyjoy is out, so I'll leave that open.

My take on Sansa is that the show seems to be telling us she ends up at Winterfell, my guess is that Stannis wins the battle and she is installed there, otherwise the plot change doesn't seem to make much sense.

I love this topic, although noone has offered anything other than BS will probably die early in the next novel. I know nothing, much like Ygritte's little puppet, but will offer this: Sansa rendezvousing with Dr. Dbag will happen in the books, too. She has become a tough nut to crack, that is exactly what the Bastard needs. Because he needs to understand why he is nothing, why he deserves to die. Sansa has gone through 10 times the difficulties Ramsay Snow has, and that will be made evident at his untimely end.

In terms of key characters' endings, Dany won't end up married to faegon (the show confirming what a rank bad bit of authorship his insertion at such a late stage was) or Vic, but very little else has been genuinely spoiled imo... E.g. Barristan is a sufficiently minor character that it's still possible to imagine him getting his stout retirement keep or whatever in the books, unlikely though it seems.

D&D's "usual" deviations?

No.

This season has been far, far more deviant than the previous four. There is no way to avoid this when going from 750 pages per season to 2000 pages per season.

What I mean is, there is no telling whether something is invented by D+D or is actually from TWOW. At most D+D are spoiling the deaths of certain characters like Barristan, who may be dead soon in the books as well. But nothing is certain.

That Arya and Mel will meet in the books.

Back in season 3, when Mel told Arya they'll meet again, I was sure it was gonna be because Mel would somehow confuse Arya and Jeyne Poole.

Now with Sansa instead of a fake Arya, I don't know what to think.

I mean, it could be another continuity issue by D&D, but if so I'd be pretty big.

When episode 4 came out last season, IMDB briefly listed Richard Brake as the Night's King. It was quickly changed to the White Walkers' Master. This is important because the Night's King is a character from Old Nan's stories. He's thousands of years old and related to the Starks.

So to the extent that IMDB is reliable, Richard Brake is coming back and he's the Night's King again. By the same coin, Benjen never died, but I never thought he did. Without parents, the Surviving Starks need the council of a veteran who isn't grubbing for lands and titles.

Archived