Mad Max- Fury Road

AndyBaelish

I saw it, I thought it was pretty awesome.

Financially, a second one is almost guaranteed to happen. Great word of mouth, going to do be a mild financial success but will have built a ton of good will built up to capitalize on for a sequel. Unless the on-set "problems" are so bad that they lose their stars, I can't see them not doing more of these.

Since it's only been in cinema since 14th May in the UK do you guys reckon it will still be in cinema in june ???? gotta be right???? I wanna go see it again June 1st with my mate after her exams.

Should be. It's still on 5 showings per day for the rest of this week in my local cinema, which is a medium-large Cineworld.

Also, whilst I realise that $150m is hardly chump change, I cannot fucking believe that this film cost less to produce than, amongst other things, Van Helsing, Sahara, Wild Wild West, Battleship or Oz The Great And Powerful, all of which looked like absolute shit. Miller's done an incredible job, as have his FX team.

From that interview, I appreciated Tom Hardy's apology to Miller for being so myopic. When you have 450 hours worth of film, it's very hard to see what will take shape from it and given how sparse the script probably was, I can understand him not truly seeing the big picture.

Just saw this yesterday. Loved it. Loved it so hard.

As an Ancient History student I find the idea of treating him as a mythical figure and how oral stories are a little different every time to be such an inspired way to approach this. I think it's awesome.

I agree. I didn't know that this was an angle on Mad Max until reading this thread, but it has significantly increased my respect for Miller and for his oeuvre.

Regarding things that have been discussed earlier in this thread:

I saw the trailer for this a while ago but I wasn't really expecting to see it in theaters (getting out to a movie is logistically challenging these days). But I was convinced to make the effort to see it by (in order of importance) 1) word-of-mouth from rapturous friends 2) Mrs. Gabriel's interest in it (also from word of mouth) 3) the impotent rage of the MRAs who were so offended by something that didn't slavishly cater to their stunted sensibilities.

I saw the guitar guy in the trailer and thought it was pretty funny. When the flame jetted out from the guitar in the movie, I actually LOLed in delight. Knowing that guitar guy existed in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the film.

This movie has achieved something pretty unlikely: made me want to go back and watch the other three. It may even have gotten Mrs. Gabriel to want to watch them, which I would never have expected.

We can't stop talking about this movie, my wife and I. Still.. After two weeks. My 3 year old has heard me talk about it so much that he wants to see it. He keeps asking if Mad Max is at the places we're going, which is comical when it's to the high school or to Safeway or Panera. MAD MAX AT PANERA WOULD BE AMAZING

Ahem

Anyway, something that my wife pointed out that I've not seen talked about, anywhere, is that the lead action hero of this movie - Furiosa - has one fully functional arm. And it's just not that big a deal. She has a bionic jury-rigged thing that functions for doing things like steering, but it's not all that great. But it's not an issue. It's not even a discussion point. Yep, she has one arm, she still kicks ass, she barely loses to Max in a fight despite Nux's interference.

That they can just throw in some pro-disability thing in the movie and no one even bats an eye about it is pretty amazing to me. It's a testament to how they handled, well, everything. Furiosa is a woman, but that's not what defines her. She has only one arm, but that isn't what defines her. Splendid is pregnant, but that's not what defines her. It's a part of her, but it's not even central to her character or who she is. She's an awesome character with complicated feelings and views and the ability to kick ass. She just happens to have one arm. She just happens to be a woman.

Well done, George Miller.

Anyway, something that my wife pointed out that I've not seen talked about, anywhere, is that the lead action hero of this movie - Furiosa - has one fully functional arm. And it's just not that big a deal. She has a bionic jury-rigged thing that functions for doing things like steering, but it's not all that great. But it's not an issue. It's not even a discussion point. Yep, she has one arm, she still kicks ass, she barely loses to Max in a fight despite Nux's interference.

Not to take away from Furiosa's awesomness, but Max had been forced to serve as an unvolentary blood donor for who knows how long, on top of the stress of his imprisonment. It's actually quite unrealistic that he was able to stand at all after being drained for as long as he was.

That they can just throw in some pro-disability thing in the movie and no one even bats an eye about it is pretty amazing to me. It's a testament to how they handled, well, everything. Furiosa is a woman, but that's not what defines her. She has only one arm, but that isn't what defines her. Splendid is pregnant, but that's not what defines her. It's a part of her, but it's not even central to her character or who she is. She's an awesome character with complicated feelings and views and the ability to kick ass. She just happens to have one arm. She just happens to be a woman.

:agree:

Did you see this ridiculousness?

The actual video is a few tweets down.

Outgunned by oestrogen? What a fool.

Love it! Tom Hardy is the light.

Just saw this yesterday. Loved it. Loved it so hard.

I agree. I didn't know that this was an angle on Mad Max until reading this thread, but it has significantly increased my respect for Miller and for his oeuvre.

Regarding things that have been discussed earlier in this thread:

I saw the trailer for this a while ago but I wasn't really expecting to see it in theaters (getting out to a movie is logistically challenging these days). But I was convinced to make the effort to see it by (in order of importance) 1) word-of-mouth from rapturous friends 2) Mrs. Gabriel's interest in it (also from word of mouth) 3) the impotent rage of the MRAs who were so offended by something that didn't slavishly cater to their stunted sensibilities.

I saw the guitar guy in the trailer and thought it was pretty funny. When the flame jetted out from the guitar in the movie, I actually LOLed in delight. Knowing that guitar guy existed in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the film.

This movie has achieved something pretty unlikely: made me want to go back and watch the other three. It may even have gotten Mrs. Gabriel to want to watch them, which I would never have expected.

:cheers:

Somebody mentioned upthread that Hardy and Theron had beef during the filming. I can't find any info on that, could somebody fill me in?

Only thing I could find was this tiny piece. Basically, Hardy is something of a fairly crazy guy who is pretty intense, and apparently that didn't go well in the shooting - he's a method actor, and doing method acting of Mad Max involved random muttering and craziness. But it worked out, supposedly.

We can't stop talking about this movie, my wife and I. Still.. After two weeks. My 3 year old has heard me talk about it so much that he wants to see it. He keeps asking if Mad Max is at the places we're going, which is comical when it's to the high school or to Safeway or Panera. MAD MAX AT PANERA WOULD BE AMAZING

Ahem

When I walked out of the Theatre with my friends, we discussed the same thing.

Archived