AFFC Reread Project - The Ironborn

cteresa

Not condescending :D

I just get annoyed when people don't reply to the substance of what I'm saying even when they know what I'm talking about, you know what I mean? It's like someone correcting your spelling, but not replying to your ideas.

As rare as Valyrian steel blades are, I doubt people would just willingly hand them to someone of a different family. I can see the Ironborn killing each other and taking them, but then the family it was stolen from would probably try and kill them to get it back. No one seemed to have a problem with the Knight having the blade, so it seems likely that he got it from someone not Ironborn. All we know about the Youngest Lannister was that he went in search of the valyrian longsword, the same type of sword Harlaw has, and disappeared.

All I'm saying is that it is quite possible that the Knight captured his vessel on the return trip and took the sword for his own. It would make an interesting sideplot, and fit well with GRRMs style.

And the Dayne's sword always went to the Heir, it was a fluke in Arthur's case, and I believe Darkstar says something about his uncle (who was supposed to get the sword) was pissed off about that. I wonder what happened to the sword since? Do you remember if anything was said about it?

As rare as Valyrian steel blades are, I doubt people would just willingly hand them to someone of a different family. I can see the Ironborn killing each other and taking them, but then the family it was stolen from would probably try and kill them to get it back. No one seemed to have a problem with the Knight having the blade, so it seems likely that he got it from someone not Ironborn. All we know about the Youngest Lannister was that he went in search of the valyrian longsword, the same type of sword Harlaw has, and disappeared.

What I meant was that maybesomewhere in the distant past a Harlaw might have taken the sword, then instituted the tradition that the biggest Harlaw badass/reaver in each generation wields Nightfall.

Also, nitpicking again :D, Brightroar was a Greatsword similar to Ice, where as Nightfall appears to be more of a regular longsword.

And the Dayne's sword always went to the Heir, it was a fluke in Arthur's case, and I believe Darkstar says something about his uncle (who was supposed to get the sword) was pissed off about that. I wonder what happened to the sword since? Do you remember if anything was said about it?

I seem to remember that Martin in some intervju said that Dawn, at the moment, is at Starfall awating a suitable wielder.

Where have you read that Dawn always went to the heir? I thought Dawn was awarded to the most skilled and honorable Dayne. The one who's the epitome of a Knight.

• 3 weeks later...
It was in one of the Dorne PoV chapters with the Darkstar. He made a comment about Aurthur Dayne and his sword. Where did you read that Brightroar was a greatsword? I seem to recall it was a longsword.

I always read that exchange as Darkstar being jelous of AD, feeling that he himself is just as good but that everybody else saw AD as the best.

Brightroar was a greatsword? I think it was in a Tyrion chapter in aSoS. Tyrion is thinking about his family and how Gerion was the favourite uncle.

• 6 months later...

I'm late I know but anyway,

Asha

I really liked Asha when we first saw her in CoK. Her PoV surprised me here. I imagined her as more bloodthirsty queen of battles but she wants peace and settlements. Her treatment of Tris was callous and repelent. I suppose she doesn't have to like him but she seems to find the whole concept of love as incomprehensible.

The first time she said the axe was her husband it sounded cool. When she repeats it here, it's a little pathetic and sad. She accuses her uncle (Victarion) of having no heirs but she herself has nothing to offer there either. If giving heirs to the throne is a royal duty she seems to fail it miserably. And when you think about it what would happen if she does marry / bear children? As the queen of the iron islands she's expected to lead them in battle but she couldn't do that when she's pregnant.

• 3 months later...

Small details that puzzle me from this last chapter. Is it just a typo when Euron says "to make an heir worthy of him, I need a different woman"? He's complaining that none of his current sons are fit to sit the Iron Chair. Worthy of whom? Euron? Is he just referring to himself in the third person for no reason I can think of?

Euron captured a ship with a group of warlocks, from whom, one supposes, he learned the story of Dany and the dragons: "a curious tale". Was one of the warlocks Pyat Pree, or were these four sent out after Dany for burning the Undying Ones in Qarth? If warlocks are regaining scary powers, it seems increasingly doubtful that Euron can hold three of them entirely in thrall merely by physical threat. Are they really "enslaved" by Euron... or using him to get back to Slaver's Bay to carry out their assignment?

It would be kind of funny if Euron really did have some bizarre romantic attachment to the idea of Dany, in love from afar as it were. I mean, what kind of love object COULD be appropriate to the kind of character Euron is shown to be? Shudder.

aspasia

• 2 months later...

Well, im another couple months late, but the bit with Euron following Victarion's fleet is indeed a brilliant theory.

About Euron trying to find Dany: There's a chance...a small chance, her type might just well fall for someone like Euron. It's pretty much known she likes dangerous men after Drogo; the bit with Dario of course; while Dario isn't quite the (not in the birth sense)bastard that Euron is(Euron IS a bastard...but i happen to like the character alot...one of those Bad Guys with alot of Style kind of thing i guess), he's still dangerous; as was pointed out he DID give Dany the heads of his old friends. She doesn't seem one to go for the likes of say, Willas Tyrell.

Now, the blue lips might be a turnoff due to her souring of sorcery...but Euron, dangerous, and possibly able to also and 'control' dragons with the horn...well, that might be something there, in her mind. And what can Euron help her do possibly? Give back her Iron Throne, which is what she's been wanting. She wanted it bad enough to boat Dothraki screamers over. The Ironborn's reaving, which she wouldn't be fond of...she's seen it and probably as bad traveling her time with Dothraki(though she did try to abolish some of the practices after Drogo's death.) Despite Whitebeard/Selmy and her Queensguard's most likely aversion to the guy, I definately smell something brewing there. Euron is older(she seems to have a thing for guys a little older than her), but still apparently not unpleasant to look at from the descriptions, he's dangerous, and he might be able to control dragons, and help win back the kingdom(even though he also wants to rule it of course.) Hmmm. (Not to mention something in the Dany spoiler chapter of the fifth book. I hope everyone here read it above...the dragons being chained up. Someone who will speak for them to free them? Someone who can call on her Drogon? She might be all over this one.) The horn also seems to burn someone from the inside...which shouldn't be a problem for a Targ. And Dany doesnt seem one to object to anything about dragons.

And perhaps, somehow, Euron knows this and is why he's going that route...that he might have a chance of winning that cause over, and winning over dragons is probably the biggest thing anyone can do.

Sorry if that went away from those actual Ironborn chapters themselves, but it was some odd future(possibly crackpot) speculations.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

We are left with Victarion preparing to seek out Dany Targaryen. However, can we really be certain that Dany still wants to return to Westeros. If I remember correctly, it was her brother Viserys Targaryen who was obsessed with returning to the Seven Kingdoms. On the other hand, Dany has no memory of Westeros. It could be that Dany will never return to Westeros due to her own choosing. Anyway, Why would she want to return to a homeland that she's never known?

Archived