Football XXXIX: The Magic of M-S-N

Consigliere

Bayern are making a fist of this. Shame that they capitualted so badly in the final 15 minutes of the first leg. Three down, three to go.

Barca look a shade of the team that was playing in the first half. Obviously the Suarez sub is the main reason, thought it was weird to take him off at half, wonder if it was injury related.

Barca look a shade of the team that was playing in the first half. Obviously the Suarez sub is the main reason, thought it was weird to take him off at half, wonder if it was injury related.

He didn't look like he was struggling. Barca were in a comfortable position and he was probably taken off with Atletico in mind at the weekend. A bit of complacency has probably set in which would explain the lacklustre performance in the 2nd half.

Messi, Suarez and Neymar are undoubtedly the best attacking trio in world football atm. What a joy to watch.

Agreed. Just fantastic what I have seen from them this season in the Primera Division as well.

What a magnificent assembly of talent. I expected more of Benzema-Bale-Ronaldo though. Part of that is injuries, but other part is not playing well together, and the character difference between Messi and Ronaldo surely has something to do with that. Maybe Bale will be sick of it and transfer to United...

I would have thought that United signing Depay was the final nail in the coffin of any interest they may have had in Bale.

Not sure about that. Di Maria might go, along with the inevitable departure of Falcao.

Bale could play from the right and Depay from the left. Though he hasn't been fantastic from the right at Madrid, but I don't see why it couldn't work for him in the same way it does for Robben.

Agreed. Just fantastic what I have seen from them this season in the Primera Division as well.

What a magnificent assembly of talent. I expected more of Benzema-Bale-Ronaldo though. Part of that is injuries, but other part is not playing well together, and the character difference between Messi and Ronaldo surely has something to do with that. Maybe Bale will be sick of it and transfer to United...

BBC worked fine last season and the first part of this. It has slowed a little bit, but no-one's on total domination form all the time.

I'm not sure what Messi being more of a cunt has to do with his team clicking better. The problem really is that Bale is too similar to Ronaldo in his best game, and has to subdue himself immensely to work in the same team. And then being subdued leads to unfair criticism which leads to a lack of confidence and a loss of form which leads to what we've got now.

What I'm really impressed with is how Enrique stuck to his guns during heavy criticism in the first part of the season, to restructure the team so the balance of power was up front and not in midfield, and it's paying off spectacularly right now.

The main reason Depay would seem to mean no Bale is that Van Gaal would seem to ideally prefer a more possession-based game than those two in one team would really demand. He clearly doesn't mind working with quick counters when he has to but given carte blanche to build from essentially scratch it would seem odd on him. It could be devastating if he goes for it, though.

A team of Hazard-Costa-Griezmann, or indeed Hazard-Costa-Bale, would be pretty devastating. Even though Costa isn't nearly as good as Suarez.

BBC worked fine last season and the first part of this. It has slowed a little bit, but no-one's on total domination form all the time.

I'm not sure what Messi being more of a cunt has to do with his team clicking better. The problem really is that Bale is too similar to Ronaldo in his best game, and has to subdue himself immensely to work in the same team. And then being subdued leads to unfair criticism which leads to a lack of confidence and a loss of form which leads to what we've got now.

I think the reason it doesn't work as well with Madrid is partly due to Ronaldo, a difficult guy to play alongside because he is just so incredibly self centered, it's unheard of. Everyone has to be in a completely subservient role. This is certainly not the case, at least not to the same degree, with Messi, who is also clearly much better at bonding with his teammates than Ronaldo. So the Ronaldo element cannot be discounted. Messi actually does not mind when a teammate scores a goal, and that's just the visible part, there are many intangibles as well that make them glue better.

And then also, the quality of BBC as a whole is just a little less than Barca's trio. I do agree that there have been some great games from the the last two years, I've seen them and it can be a joy. But their dominance is both less impressive and less consistent than Barca's.

The main reason Depay would seem to mean no Bale is that Van Gaal would seem to ideally prefer a more possession-based game than those two in one team would really demand. He clearly doesn't mind working with quick counters when he has to but given carte blanche to build from essentially scratch it would seem odd on him. It could be devastating if he goes for it, though.

I just want them to do it. If Di Maria stays I'm sure it won't happen, and maybe Bale isn't what LvG is looking for.

But I hope it is because I think Bale is sensational and not really working out at Madrid.

Yes, the magic of MSN is beautiful.

Part of the story is in the midfield too.

The injuries of Modric this year affected the BBC.

And Barca gained a more direct aproach with Rakitic (who earned his transfer being brilliant last season playing behind two strikers in Sevilla) playing most of the time instead of Xavi or Iniesta. Mostly instead of Xavi.

Rakitic still looks out of pace in Barca sometime but he is clicking.

I think tiki-taka is not dead and it is great, but that is in theory.

The theory being that you get another peak form Xavi and Iniesta playing again with Messi in front of them and versatile DM like YayaToure, Mascherano or Busquets behind them.

It also takes some special requirements from every other team member, but the above is the core.

It is interesting to discuss wether tiki-taka is dead because football has evolved or if it is dead because it's key protagonists have their best days behind them.

People nowdays just look at the '13-present period but are quick to forget '08-12.

More on magnificent midfielders,

Pogba is back for today's game and it will be interesting how the Juve midfield come about in Madrid.

Surely the nature of this game should have Pirlo out in his current form.

But will he be out?

So the Ronaldo element cannot be discounted. Messi actually does not mind when a teammate scores a goal, and that's just the visible part, there are many intangibles as well that make them glue better.

It's at best, swings and roundabouts. Ronaldo might get huffy when he doesn't score, but the next time he'll make the exact same run to draw away runners that allows a team-mate to get the space. Messi has, in fairness, got a lot better at his off-the-ball movement, I don't know if he trusts Neymar and Suarez more or if Enrique shouted at him or what.

Not gonna be able to watch today's game, well annoyed. Is Pogba starting or will he be on the bench?

Archived