The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

"The Price of Faith" is the third book in the "Ties That Bind" series by Rob J. Hayes and just came out last month.

He writes very hard R-rated fantasy.

I quite like him.

I also recommend, "Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues" as the HANDS DOWN best anthology I've ever read.

I'm starting this month with The Liar's Key (Red Queen's War #2) by Mark Lawrence.

Finished this today and overall i liked it.The middle part starts to drag a bit, finishes strongly and ends on a sort of cliffhanger,a funny cliffhanger...oh Jal,you lovable coward :D .

Not sure what to read next ,but i have pre-ordered Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusion #1) by Michael R. Fletcher, which comes out on 16th.

Today I received my pre-ordered Kindle editions of three fantasy debuts: Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher, The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, and The War Against the Assholes by Sam Munson. All appear to be suitably very dark (at least initially), and have received mostly good early reviews. My grimdark reading addiction is beyond redemption and charring my soul with a backlog library that I am waging a losing war against. But I am a happy victim.

I'm reading a book that came out in May: When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner,an epic fantasy debut.He counts Steven Erikson and Abercrombie among his influences.Heck,there's even a Kruppe-like character in his book. :D

I ended up enjoying it quite a bit despite early issues. Just a constant power drawing power that starts to push the pace.

I ended up enjoying it quite a bit despite early issues. Just a constant power drawing power that starts to push the pace.

Yep,started slowly but once it got going, man,the pace was relentless,i mean it was just one magical battle after another right till the end..phew! :D

One can definitely see the Malazan influence in the high-magic battles.

I just finished, and really enjoyed, Flex by Ferrett Steinmetz. It's an urban fantasy with a really cool take on magic - 'mancers are created through obsession and their obsessions leads to all sorts of different types of magic. The two main ones we see are the protagonists, Paul Tsabo a beaurocromaner (who uses paper, forms, and contracts to work his magic) and Valentine de Grizz a videogamemancer. Some 'mancers distill their magic into a drug, Flex, that mundanes can take and temporarily gain abilities themselves. The problem with the drug is that the mundanes have no knowledge about dealing with the Flux, which is the blowback the 'mancers receive as a cost of using their magic - usually an unlucky occurrence equal to the amount they had altered reality (broken fingernail, blown out tires, herpes infection, death of a loved one, earthquake). Paul is an insurance agent, and former cop who lost a foot while tracking down a 'mancer; the loss of his foot, job, and than marriage is what created his obsession and triggered his abilities. His daughter gets burnt very badly in a fire caused by a flux related accident, and thus begins the story of him tracking down the 'mancer that made the Flex.

Fun book, quick read. If you like UF, check it out. I do wonder why the girl on the cover is white though...

List of SFF coming out in July along with Cover Gallery

This is going to be a pretty good month for reading .My TBR:

Savages by K. J. Parker
Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan
Half A War by Joe Abercrombie
Ruin by John Gwynne
Last First Snow by Max Gladstone
Cold Iron by Stina Leicht
The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milán
Speak by Louisa Hall
The Shapeshifters by Stefan Spjut
Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Mieville
Way Down Dark by J.P. Smythe

My Kindle received two books published today (July 2).

Darkhaven by A.F.E. Smith: "Ayla Nightshade never wanted to rule Darkhaven. But her half-brother Myrren — true heir to the throne — hasn’t inherited their family gift, forcing her to take his place. When this gift leads to Ayla being accused of killing her father, Myrren is the only one to believe her innocent. Does something more sinister than the power to shapeshift lie at the heart of the Nightshade family line? Now on the run, Ayla must fight to clear her name if she is ever to wear the crown she never wanted and be allowed to return to the home she has always loved."

Iron and Blood by Gail Z. Martin and Larry N. Martin: "
New Pittsburgh, 1898 — a crucible of invention and intrigue. Born from the ashes of devastating fire, flood and earthquake, the city is ruled by the shadow government of The Oligarchy. In the swarming streets, people of a hundred nations drudge to feed the engines of progress, while in the abandoned tunnels beneath the city, supernatural creatures hide from the light, emerging only to feed. Jake Desmet and Rick Brand travel the world to secure treasures and unusual items for the collections of wealthy patrons, accompanied by Jake’s cousin, Veronique LeClerque. But when their latest commission leads to Jake’s father’s murder, the three friends are drawn into a conspiracy where dark magic, industrial sabotage and the monsters that prey on the night will ultimately threaten not just New Pittsburgh, but the whole world."

Archived