The Books That Have Just Come Out: New Release Thread

Maester Llama

Re: Jemisin

I had the book on order since the week before release, but it will only be delivered tomorrow, because in Europe failed to arrive after the US/UK side of the market went out of print very soon.

So, I haven't read it, but this is the one book coming out this year that is without a doubt MUST READ, my sixth sense says.

Jemisin first trilogy as one omnibus was released a few months ago, and I had it on my wishlist for a while, mostly because I remembered some of Larry "Blog of the fallen" reviews. And I finally bought that a month of so ago. Only read 50 or so pages, but it's good. Good enough to see a writer that is on the right path with enough talent backing it up. I'm reading it with the awareness "it can only get better, and it will", as an appetizer, because I know of this new trilogy coming out.

Then I read Neth review about this new trilogy, and especially Jemisin own words. There are a few things that can get my attention and make me click on "buy" button very quickly:

I had a despair moment again while writing The Fifth Season. Convinced myself that it was just too strange, too dark, too hard to write, and no one would ever want to read it. I actually called my editor and discussed whether I could just turn the trilogy into a standalone, wash my hands of the whole thing, and go cry in a corner somewhere.

Still, the Broken Earth trilogy is the, hmm, biggest thing Ive ever written, and the scope of it is forcing me to do some things Ive never done before.

Its about wars that have become background noise and secrets with geologically long histories and how people love when they cannot possibly protect the people they love. Im just saying that the setting makes phenotypical, sociological, human sense as the characters go about their business. At some point someones going to throw a mountain at someone else, and theres some talking-statue shenanigans, but there will be motherfucking black people in it. And Asian people, and multiracial people, and queer people, and women who are built like brick houses and Mack trucks, and so on. Because I refuse to ever write a fantasy in which magic is believable but human beings arent.

And then I read that a part of the book is written in 2nd person, and for a reason.

So, the point is that a writer that was on my radar for a while kicked up the ambition another lever. I only wait for those kinds of things. Something that has ideas, has ambition, takes risks, goes off the beaten path, exploring. The general themes and scope of the book seem amazing, and the reviews I've read confirm it's successful.

I could still read it and then be disappointed, but I doubt it.

August is coming to a close and i still have not read all the books i wanted to from this month..sigh.

Later today though i will be starting one of my most anticipated books published this month - [url=http://www.orbitbooks.net/2015/08/18/oversight-paradox-charlie-fletcher/]The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy #2) by Charlie Fletcher[/url]

Finished The Paradox (Oversight Trilogy #2) by Charlie Fletcher, very good sequel to the first book.Atmospheric/creepy fantasy with a Dickensian vibe set in Victorian England,mainly in London but also the surrounding countryside with our protags fighting against the growing supranatural threats.Final book in the trilogy comes out around the same time next year.

Also read [url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25155602-ruin]Ruin (The Faithful and the Fallen #3) by John Gwynne[/url].I still don't know why i continued with this series after book #2,maybe i thought it would get better! Nope,got worse.In the end i speed read through till the end just to see the climax,which was another cliffhanger and ended the same way as previous books,with one of our main protag getting captured by the baddies.This is a regular feature of this series: story arc - protags on the run>get captured>escape>battlle scene>more running>get captured again>escape again>cue battle scene>get captured again>book ends.The spaces between are filled with wooden writing/dialogue and info-dumps.

5-star ratings on goodreads and amazon and a Gemmell award too! The mind boggles. :dunno:

Not a lot of books from this September list that i wanna read.

Must-Read Books:
Reign of Iron by Angus Watson
Dragon Coast by Greg van Eekhout
Foreign Devils by John Hornor Jacobs

Books of interest:
Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald
Arcadia by Iain Pears
Little Sister Death by William Gay
The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

Less exciting month for new releases for me. Only got two pre-orders that I'm planning to read.
Sorceror to the Crown by Zen Cho http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorcerer-Crown-Royal-1/dp/1447299450
Two Years Eight Months and Twenty Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/two-years-eight-months-and-twenty-eight-nights-2
Going to take to opportunity to read some new releases I've bought this year but not managed to read yet including The Vagrant, The Shepherd's Crown and Half a War.

I got an ARC of Sorcerer to the Crown from Goodreads and was less than excited by it, but that might have been because I didn't know it would be written in faux-Victorian style.  It's not the first book with that style that I've read so maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that at the time.

I'm looking forward to Luna: New Moon, Leigh Bardugo's new book, Six of Crows, and debut author Tom Toner's The Promise of the Child.  I may try some of the new Tor.com novellas too.

I'm really looking forward to The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

The September issue of Clarkesworld features an interview with the author.Interesting read,especially his influences for the book.

Your novel pulls from a variety of different areas: social engineering to Joseon Dynasty siege weaponry. Could you expand more on the other influences in your novel?

Cognitive psychology. Jeremy Scahill's Dirty Wars. Fantasy's neglect of the Islamic Golden Age, the Indian Ocean trade system, and other dynamic, vital sections of history. Code Name Verity, indirectly—I hadn't read it yet but people kept talking to me about it. Partible paternity in Amazon Basin societies. Naval warfare between Japan and Korea. The ugly history of eugenic ideology. Admiral Keumalahayati. 1984. Online discussion about who was and wasn't allowed to be the protagonist of an epic fantasy novel, because some people would, it was said, be 'too oppressed to do anything.' Megan Whalen Turner's Queen of Attolia. C. J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station. Civilization IV, but not V. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Everyone at the Alpha workshop who talked about making things hurt more. Yoon Ha Lee. Sundiata Keita. We Have Always Fought, by Kameron Hurley. Agh! I wish I could remember everything.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/dickinson_interview/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've read people saying it's better than the first. So excited for this one!

Didnt grab me quite as much as the first one but still a really damn good book.  I didn't find myself as surprised in directions the story went quite as much as I did in City of Stairs.

Didnt grab me quite as much as the first one but still a really damn good book.  I didn't find myself as surprised in directions the story went quite as much as I did in City of Stairs.

I didn't really find the first book that surprising in terms of plot twists. I loved the purely fabulous worldbuilding and the main character(I'm blanking on the name). Still, good to hear about the sequel

As I mentioned in another thread (the one about books coming out in 2016), my SFF purchases for January, 2016 releases (other than online magazines, episodic serials, and any unannounced surprises) are:

Harmony Black [already received] Craig Schaefer 

Midnight Taxi Tango [Jan 5] Daniel José Older

City of Light [Jan 5] Keri Arthur

Drake (The Burned Man) [Jan 5] Peter McLean

Path of Gods [Jan 5] Snorri Kristjansson  

The Glass Galago [Jan 6] A. M. Dellamonica

The Drowning Eyes [Jan 12] Emily Foster

Goldenfire [Jan 14] A.F.E. Smith

The Fire Mage’s Daughter [Jan 15] Pauline M. Ross

Small Wars [Jan 19] Matt Wallace

Pagan Night [Jan 19] Tim Akers

Medusa’s Web [Jan 19] Tim Powers

All the Birds in the Sky [Jan 26] Charlie Jane Anders

Staked [Jan 26] Kevin Hearne

Broken Hero [Jan 26] Jonathan Wood

Roadside Magic [Jan 26] Lilith Saintcrow

The Brimstone Deception [Jan 26] Lisa Shearin

Lustlocked [Jan 26] Matt Wallace

City of Blades [Jan 26] Robert Jackson Bennett

Daughter of Blood [Jan 26] Helen Lowe

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2015 at 5:53 AM, HairBearHero said:

Are the Greatcoats books good? Considered buying them a couple of times but the blurb doesn't quite sell it for me.

I just started the first one and while I'm only a quarter into it I'm loving it so far. Moves fast and characters are solid. 

February’s Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Books. Another list.

Feb looks decent.At the very top of  my reading list from this month is Chains of the Heretic (Bloodsounder’s Arc #3) by Jeff Salyards (Night Shade Books).The ebook is out today (Feb. 2)

Other stuff from Feb. releases of interest:

Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (Pegasus)
A Gathering of Shadows: A Novel by V. E. Schwab (Tor Books)
Dragon Hunters: The Chronicle of the Exile #2 by Marc Turner (Tor Books)
The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (Tor.com)
Down Station by Simon Morden (Gollancz)
The Path of the Hawk: Book Two by Ian Graham (Orbit)

Archived