Dresden Files, Pt 2 (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/50943-dresden-files/

There is a lot of great discussion in this thread, and I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle. I am anxiously awaiting the next book, and can not wait until Butcher starts his conclusion series which will be happening after he finishes 20. It has been driving me crazy for a few years now to not know the identity of Cowl.

Yeaaah I'm not sure I trust Ebenezer either. Not sure who Cowl is, though I think Simon Petrovich would be a better fit than Ebenezer but I'm not fully sold on that either. I really need to go back and do some re-reading, what's the speculation on who Kumori is?

• 5 weeks later...

Yeaaah I'm not sure I trust Ebenezer either. Not sure who Cowl is, though I think Simon Petrovich would be a better fit than Ebenezer but I'm not fully sold on that either. I really need to go back and do some re-reading, what's the speculation on who Kumori is?

What if Kumori is Elaine?

I love the series. Reviewed the entire thing on my blog and used to be a beta-reader for Jim Butcher (lasted only a few short stories before my dad's heart attack and I had to leave).

Can't wait for Peace Talks.

Jim's writing style was a huge influence on me and my books.

Charles,

I'll take your slot. :)

One cool thing I learned about Jim Butcher?

Guy LOVES fantasy.

Not just urban fantasy but crystal dragons, unicorns, and airship style stuff.

It's all he would write if he could.

Kind of surprising.

Charles,

He certainly does a beautiful job of weaving many different traditions into his work. That's part of the reason I enjoy the DF so much.

Yeah but he really-really loves his other series too.

I think he wishes they got more love.

Why I'm checking out his Spire series soon.

I don't really like Molly. She's really too much of a wish fulfillment character. Wish fulfillment for 30 something brown haired white men, that is, not for teen-aged girls who want to be wizards.

I'm a Molly/Harry shipper as well as general fan for the character. I like the character being a challenge to Harry as a person who comes from a different generation, because I don't like the "these two people genuinely would not be a good couple but PLOT says they should be" of Harry/Molly, and also because there's something awesome about a Goth horror fan who just happens to come from a conservative Christian background while also being a witch. She's a funny and entertaining character who still has got a serious dark side as we see with her Punisher phase.

Unfortunately, Jim tends to write Molly desperate and I can't really just buy that. I'd very much like her to be living her own life until he wakes up and realizes what a catch he's got there.

I do not care for Harry and Molly as romantic partners. She has an idealized version of Harry that Harry can never live up to and Harry is right becoming romantically involved with someone who you saw grow up and for whom you were a teaching mentoring figure is a poor idea. The power dynamic between these two people is always going to be problematic.

I do not want to see Harry and Molly as a couple.

I do not care for Harry and Molly as romantic partners. She has an idealized version of Harry that Harry can never live up to and Harry is right becoming romantically involved with someone who you saw grow up and for whom you were a teaching mentoring figure is a poor idea. The power dynamic between these two people is always going to be problematic.

I do not want to see Harry and Molly as a couple.

For me, the idea that Molly will never ever be a mature enough woman to have a relationship with Harry is infantalizing. Part of what I DO hate about their relationship is the blatant paternalism Harry shows to her as an adult. The idea that, as her former teacher, he has ANY authority or power over her. No, he doesn't. He had authority over her almost a decade ago and she's probably one of the most powerful wizards in the world now (even without her status as the Winter Queen). The attempt by Harry to shove Molly into the role of his his devoted lovestruck schoolgirl apprentice is really really irksome.

He needs to recognize she is his equal in everything but perhaps throwing explosions and inferior in many other ways. That he doesn't have mind-control powers over her hormones by virtue of being older and having a Y chromosome. Also, that he taught her some magic for a few years.

Molly is an adult, almost in her thirties. I can't think of something more offensive than acting like Harry will always somehow be her spiritual guide and guru.

I guess I'm hoping Jim will blow the hell out of the "power dynamic" myth between them because it's gotten really-really old.

I confess, though, I may be biased. I work in academia and have had professors act like they can talk to me as if they're somehow superior despite the fact I have my own accomplishments now.

Archived