This has probably been discussed at length by the Sansanistas

Gerg Sknab

However a little different tact. How could Littlefinger leave himself open to repercussion regarding the hairnet by intimating to Dantos which in turn Dantos then relates to Sansa as "Lovelier than you know, sweet child. It's magic you see. It's justice you hold. It's vengeance for your father...It's home."

He knows Dantos to be a drunk and untrustworthy. Is there some sort of plausible deniability I'm missing?

Which takes us back to my initial point ...a live mouth particularly on an untrustworthy drunk does speak

Drunken mouth with promised gold can be kept shut. Man who already sold someone with money can't.

Drunken mouth with promised gold can be kept shut. Man who already sold someone with money can't.

This, plus where does it say that Littlefinger told Dontos any more than what Dontos said? LF doesn't need to spell out what the hairnet is in so many words, just enough for Dontos to impress upon Sansa how important it is that she wear it.

Now, that is not really the case is it, at least from my long time observation of human nature. I suppose it could be different on Westeros, then again GRRM seems to try to pattern "human nature" there as closely as possible to human nature on Earth.

This, plus where does it say that Littlefinger told Dontos any more than what Dontos said? LF doesn't need to spell out what the hairnet is in so many words, just enough for Dontos to impress upon Sansa how important it is that she wear it.

It's vengeance for your father...It's home., is pretty specific isn't it? Why else would Dantos relate those words unless was told directly by Littlefinger?

Now, that is not really the case is it, at least from my long time observation of human nature. I suppose it could be different on Westeros, then again GRRM seems to try to pattern "human nature" there as closely as possible to human nature on Earth.

Really? Person who betrays once will never betray again?

It's vengeance for your father...It's home., is pretty specific isn't it? Why else would Dantos relate those words unless was told directly by Littlefinger?

Mumblings of a drunk? Maybe old Dontos said it because it made him feel like a knight again instead of a court fool? I don't think it is all that important in the grand scheme of things, all he had to do was get her to wear the thing.

Mumblings of a drunk? Maybe old Dontos said it because it made him feel like a knight again instead of a court fool? I don't think it is all that important in the grand scheme of things, all he had to do was get her to wear the thing.

And there you are mistaken, again Littlefinger seems to leave himself open ACOK Sansa paperback page 751 'Dontos patted her on the arm. I've spoken to a certain man I know, a good friend to me...and to you, my lady. He will hire a swift ship to take us to safety, when the time is right."

This, there was no way Dontos could foil LF's plot and still expect to get paid from LF. He was going to need to get Sansa out of KL for that. Plus LF says once he heard Sansa saved Dontos he knew that, that was his guy. Dontos was also doing it because he wanted to help Sansa and LF knows this. Granted he isn't doing it for Sansa nearly as much as for the money but that part that wants to help the girl that saved his life is still there. Also, LF knows that Dontos has not had the best experiences with Joffrey or the kings party so he probably would feel comfortable going to them requesting compensation. With the choice of only getting paid once, he knows that Dontos would choose helping Sansa vs. Trying to go to the "other side" that put him in this position originally. After he got the gold though and Sansa is initially removed from harms way, all bets are off, whether it was a week from then or a year once all the gold was spent, Dontos was going to go looking for another payday, which is why he needed "a few well placed arrows."

Yes, it does feel like very specific words. In addition to the above comments regarding his motivations, Dontos probably didn't know much more than what he just said. It sounds very specific and touches in exactly what Sansa wants, almost like LF told him to say exactly this, and that's all that Dontos knows.

Yes, it's pretty specific in the sense of Littlefinger trying to convey that it's really important that Sansa wear the thing. It's not specific at all in the sense of Littlefinger informing Dontos that the hairnet contains poison which will be used to kill the king. I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

However a little different tact. How could Littlefinger leave himself open to repercussion regarding the hairnet by intimating to Dantos which in turn Dantos then relates to Sansa as "Lovelier than you know, sweet child. It's magic you see. It's justice you hold. It's vengeance for your father...It's home."

He knows Dantos to be a drunk and untrustworthy. Is there some sort of plausible deniability I'm missing?

And there you are mistaken, again Littlefinger seems to leave himself open ACOK Sansa paperback page 751 'Dontos patted her on the arm. I've spoken to a certain man I know, a good friend to me...and to you, my lady. He will hire a swift ship to take us to safety, when the time is right."

Once again, a drunk probably talking more than he should. And with as many people as LF has working for him, I would wager that he probably has someone tailing Dontos at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived