(Spoilers) HBO's True Detective Season 2

Mark Antony

Yes they were

They were also in no way Detective shows

And? I wouldn't consider Jane Eyre, Sin Nombre or any of Cary Fukunaga's shorts a detective show either yet amazingly enough, he was capable. Also, Lin is only directing first two episodes.

And? I wouldn't consider Jane Eyre, Sin Nombre or any of Cary Fukunaga's shorts a detective show either yet amazingly enough, he was capable. Also, Lin is only directing first two episodes.

He was a way more competent director than Lin. Lin's basically just a more polished version of Michael Bay. Those other Fukunaga projects showed he could do drama well, can Lin? I have my doubts.

He was a way more competent director than Lin. Lin's basically just a more polished version of Michael Bay. Those other Fukunaga projects showed he could do drama well, can Lin? I have my doubts.

Guess we're going to find out. And like Mexal said, he's only doing 2 episodes, so good or bad, he's not going to make or brake the season.

So excited - the trailers are phenomenal. I agree about Rachel; she has such passion and pain in her eyes. It's amazing when a show can tell you so much about characters without them speaking a word.

Guess we're going to find out. And like Mexal said, he's only doing 2 episodes, so good or bad, he's not going to make or brake the season.

Eh, i'll give it a shot. It's not like there's anything else to watch around that time.

There's a little pressure on this season... As I see it... there are a lot of really really good --sometimes great-- shows on TV right now... most of us love --for example-- Black Sails, the Americans, The Knick, Bansheeetc... But as terrific as all of these shows are, there is that "upper stratosphere" that the Wire, and Breaking Bad inhabit ....

... IMO.... True Detective has a chance to join them if they can consistently produce the kind of quality they did in S1

Don't you worry bout what we do here in Murica! :P

Anyway, that's probably better suited for General Chatter.

Yes, probably. However I thought it could be relevant here :) There are people who don't watch Tom Cruise films because he supports a despicable cult, Vinnie's comments here basically fit in with that. Some people might have issues with his oppinions and rather not support anything with him in.

I personally don't watch Tom Cruise because he plays Tom Cruise in all of his films. A similar issue with Vince Vaughn who has been playing the same character since Wedding Crashers, maybe even Swingers for that matter. However, he was pretty good in Clay Pigeons. But he's one piece of the puzzle as far as the new season goes and I like what I've seen in the trailers. Like many others, I loved the first season and lose absolutely nothing but an hour per week by watching. If it turns out not to my liking, I stop watching.

Hmm I'm not a fan of Farrell, but I am interested in McAdams and even Vince Vaughn's attempt at a rare dramatic role. It probably won't match up with season 1, but even if it approaches that level it'll still make for some damn good TV.

I saw Dallas Buyer's club, Lincoln Lawyer and Mud before True Detective. The McConaissance was well underway before TD season 1. (And I'll shamefully agree with Veltigar on the wonderful RomCom McCon).

Meh, all this garbage chatter over the directors. Nick Pizzolatto is the only name behind the camera that matters--really matters.

He was able to recruit movie stars based on the strength of his writing for season one. No doubt the direction and performances elevated the show to something special, but it all began with the characters and plot he created. The real question for me is will Pizzolatto be able to do it again. Was it really th director and actors that made S1 of True Detective a masterpiece or was he the key element? I'm betting on the latter and am stoked to see if he comes through.

Meh, all this garbage chatter over the directors. Nick Pizzolatto is the only name behind the camera that matters--really matters.

He was able to recruit movie stars based on the strength of his writing for season one. No doubt the direction and performances elevated the show to something special, but it all began with the characters and plot he created. The real question for me is will Pizzolatto be able to do it again. Was it really th director and actors that made S1 of True Detective a masterpiece or was he the key element? I'm betting on the latter and am stoked to see if he comes through.

This is what makes season 2 an interesting experiment. I do think the acting and directing elevated season 1 but if season 2 is of similar quality then we can hand the praise to Pizzolatto. I don't see the season 2 actors as weak so they should perform well if the material and direction is there. The pefrect test would have been them doing an american horror story keeping the same cast and we'd only have the directors as variables. I need to remember McCog was a gift to TV though.

I suspect season 2 will be a bit like an album from a band whose line-up has changed but they still have the same singer/song writer - still good but the magic is gone.

Yes, probably. However I thought it could be relevant here :) There are people who don't watch Tom Cruise films because he supports a despicable cult, Vinnie's comments here basically fit in with that. Some people might have issues with his oppinions and rather not support anything with him in.

Cruise's actions and Vaughn's words are not morally equivalent

Not equivalent no, but they are related to some degree.

no, one expressed an opinion on how best to keep schools safe, the other is a cultist who has brainwashed disciples wait on him hand and foot

they aren't related at all

Archived