(Spoilers) HBO's True Detective Season 2

Mark Antony

some reviews of the first three episodes are starting to pop up if anyone is interested. they're pretty mixed but I don't put much stock in critics. I remember quite a few were lukewarm on the early screeners of season 1.

The quoted dialog from the show in that article is absolutely atrocious. I do not have high hopes for this at all, might skip it unless I hear it's great.

some reviews of the first three episodes are starting to pop up if anyone is interested. they're pretty mixed but I don't put much stock in critics. I remember quite a few were lukewarm on the early screeners of season 1.

One 4/5 and one "Even Without the McConaissance, True Detective Season 2 Is the Most Addictive Kind of TV" doesn't seem that mixed against one "not as good as the first season, but it can put it all to right still" :p

The quoted dialog from the show in that article is absolutely atrocious. I do not have high hopes for this at all, might skip it unless I hear it's great.

I think it's a mistake to take a snippet of dialogue out of context and judge it in a vacuum. We need not be slaves to naturalism. Some of the best pieces of art - novels, movies, tv shows, contain highly stylized, decidedly un-naturalistic dialogue. And we should be at least open to that, and see how it fits within the context of the world that's being created for us.

Plus, if you took some of Rust Cohl's quotes out of context from the first season, and you read it without having had the benefit of watching the show at all, it would seem pretty ridiculous. "like you can smell a psychosphere" ?

I think it's a mistake to take a snippet of dialogue out of context and judge it in a vacuum. We need not be slaves to naturalism. Some of the best pieces of art - novels, movies, tv shows, contain highly stylized, decidedly un-naturalistic dialogue. And we should be at least open to that, and see how it fits within the context of the world that's being created for us.

Plus, if you took some of Rust Cohl's quotes out of context from the first season, and you read it without having had the benefit of watching the show at all, it would seem pretty ridiculous. "like you can smell a psychosphere" ?

i agree, ad am very open to being wrong. still, my enthusiasm for this show has been decreasing with every released bit of info, and with every trailer. so unless you guys rave about it I'll save myself the time and just skip this show.

There's a little pressure on this season... As I see it... there are a lot of really really good --sometimes great-- shows on TV right now... most of us love --for example-- Black Sails, the Americans, The Knick, Bansheeetc... But as terrific as all of these shows are, there is that "upper stratosphere" that the Wire, and Breaking Bad inhabit ....

... IMO.... True Detective has a chance to join them if they can consistently produce the kind of quality they did in S1

I don't think it can achieve that quality, simply because of its anthology format. The Wire and BB had years to build on themselves, and that made the payoff so incredible. The Wire's approach did something so different and incredible I don't think it can ever have an equal (the way it realistically explored the dysfunctional mechanism of a city layer by layer is extraordinary).

Season by season True Detective might be better (the first season of TD is probably one of my favorite seasons of any show ever made). But as a whole, the lack of that kind of buildup cripples the overall quality. At the same time, it has a unique advantage that most other shows don't have, and that is that even if all the future seasons turn out mediocre, we'll always have at least one beautiful and complete story to go back to.

One 4/5 and one "Even Without the McConaissance, True Detective Season 2 Is the Most Addictive Kind of TV" doesn't seem that mixed against one "not as good as the first season, but it can put it all to right still" :p

Fair enough here is another pretty positive review (my favorite of the bunch)

The result often plays like a cousin of The Wire as directed by Michael Mann

now I could see how that description might not be for everyone but damn that makes me pretty excited.

More reviews, not especially positive:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/arts/television/review-true-detective-season-2-on-hbo-plays-a-symphony-of-misery.html

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-has-true-detective-fallen-victim-to-the-sophomore-slump/

There were reports of discord between Pizzolatto and Fukunaga last season, and one of the new episodes features a visit to a film set with an Asian-American director styled to resemble Fukunaga, in a manner meant to be unflattering to one man, but which reflects more poorly on the other.

That's just pathetic.

To make sure an intimidation victim gets the point he already made with blood, Ray warns him, "I'll come back and (violent sexual act) your (male loved one) with your (female loved one)'s headless corpse on your lawn."

That's really petty and certainly makes the writer look like the dick out the pair of them.

There were reports of discord between Pizzolatto and Fukunaga last season, and one of the new episodes features a visit to a film set with an Asian-American director styled to resemble Fukunaga, in a manner meant to be unflattering to one man, but which reflects more poorly on the other.

That's even more pathetic than Benioff & Weiss inserting that awful scene into GoT where Tyrion describes his fascination with cousin Orson Lannister's smashing of beetles. This was apparently revenge for Orson Scott Card publicly declaring his hatred of the TV adaptation.

True Detective S2 currently has a 61 on Metacritic with 25 reviews in which is not terrible overall but surely disappointing for a prestige drama like this.

ETA: Interesting to note though: Metacritic breaks their reviews down into "posiitve," "mixed," and "negative." It as 12 positives, 13 mixed but zero negatives.

Archived