Is it me, or has the show's general quality diminished?

Stag_legion

Personally, the end of season 4 could have been the end of the series and I would have been... content. Not happy, mind you, but at least content. Sure, some plot holes would still be wide open, but no more than some of the other seasons have already left us. Most of the major characters were at a transition state that the viewer could have filled in the story for - Tyrian hides in exile for life, Arya goes abroad and fulfills her dream of being "no one", Sansa hides away up north with Littelfinger, Bran learns he will "fly" but not walk, Jon remains with the Nights Watch.

Not much changes, but after the first couple seasons, not much has really changed anyhow. Season 4's finale would have been par for the course had it been the series finale.

I can't agree that the acting is poor. The most consistent compliment that can be given to GOT is that the actors they hire are superb. All the main characters have been given a chance to shine and they seize it wholeheartedly. Peter Dinklage, Lena Heady, Alfie Allen, Maisie Williams, Stephan Dillane, Conleith Hill - I can go on and on. Whatever other problems the show has, its casting director isn't one of them.

I can't agree that the acting is poor. The most consistent compliment that can be given to GOT is that the actors they hire are superb. All the main characters have been given a chance to shine and they seize it wholeheartedly. Peter Dinklage, Lena Heady, Alfie Allen, Maisie Williams, Stephan Dillane, Conleith Hill - I can go on and on. Whatever other problems the show has, its casting director isn't one of them.

Agreed, the acting is generally top-notch. Except for the Sand Snakes. Their acting is woeful.

The five season has been the worst of all until now. The first was very good, had its flaws (was the first season, almost a experiment, the first time something so great was made), the second, third and fourth excelent. The fifth season have better CGI and the production stills amazing, but the writing declined, most of the changes in the story were not good.

That was one of the things that made me stop watching. Then to see people praising that dialogue was maddening.

No you are simply hating on that scene because it wasn't in the books and you probably think it should have been spent on something that was in the books and you are not even really upset about the actual writing on the scene on its own merits BC if you were you would see that it was in fact very strong writing and gave us a window into Tyrions mind in a way that most writers can't do without bad exposition. So sorry to say I completely disagree on any comments about this season or any other season having bad writing. The writing in this show is nothing short of brilliant - right up there with the greats like house of cards, breaking bad, Rome, Lost, NYPD Blue, and The Wire - and in some instances better

No you are simply hating on that scene because it wasn't in the books and you probably think it should have been spent on something that was in the books and you are not even really upset about the actual writing on the scene on its own merits BC if you were you would see that it was in fact very strong writing and gave us a window into Tyrions mind in a way that most writers can't do without bad exposition. So sorry to say I completely disagree on any comments about this season or any other season having bad writing. The writing in this show is nothing short of brilliant - right up there with the greats like house of cards, breaking bad, Rome, Lost, NYPD Blue, and The Wire - and in some instances better

Why do we even bother coming up with legitimate criticisms of the show when all we get is posts like this?

Why do we even bother coming up with legitimate criticisms of the show when all we get is posts like this?

You're right, "kachunk kachunk kachunk" is a really valid criticism of that scene, my bad.

Yet I actually explained my reasoning to the best of my abilities and said why I liked it. Yet you complain about my post?

Here's the problem with GoT (TV show, not books). From Season 2 onward, the plot line has been divided in about 6 or 7 directions. In a 52 minute show, this leaves us 7-8 minutes per plot on average. Each plot might have 2-3 characters involved, sharing screen time. Of those 12-14 character in the season, there might be 4 or 5 you really like and want to follow. This means that each character gets about 3-4 minutes of "just them" time, time where you can find out more about them, like Stanis' relationship with his daughter, for instance. 4 minutes x 10 episodes leaves you with a whopping 40 minutes per season that you get some insight into the character you like.

A typical movie gives you 2 hours in a 2 hour segment to follow a character through an entire story. GoT gives us that 2 hours spread out over 3 years (40 minutes times 3 seasons).

This makes their deaths more of a kick in the balls than anything since now we just spent 2-3 years of our lives being nickle and dimed their story, only to see it abruptly end. It also means it takes forever for anything to actually happen.

Watch season 1 again.

You have 2 major story lines - the Starks and the Targaryens. That's about a good 20-30 minutes per episode for each of those characters involved. Season 2 kept splitting it up more and it's gone on since then. It takes so much tedious amount of time for any plot to advance anymore, the show just feels like it's stalled in nearly every direction it's gone. Then the parts you want to see advance and characters you want to see on screen only get a few minutes per episode... it's a tease.

You're right, "kachunk kachunk kachunk" is a really valid criticism of that scene, my bad.

Yet I actually explained my reasoning to the best of my abilities and said why I liked it. Yet you complain about my post?

That isn't criticism. That's dialogue from the scene. It was a strange and unnecessary decision to include him mocking a disabled person, given that the show is produced in modern times and should be aware of that. Also, it's out of character for Tyrion to mock people that the world looks down on in a similar way to how it looks down on him. The same character who, in the show universe mind you, said ""I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things."" suddenly finds the only way he felt normal was to make fun of someone unfortunate? I thought the scene took too long to get to its point. A comparison I made after watching the scene was how Ros felt listening to Pycelle talk about kings. Even rewatching it now, it went on far too long. I could have done without the rude imitation of someone with a mental disability stretching on and on and I could have done without nearly 6 minutes of Dinklage's bad accent. My complaint about the scene has nothing to do with it not being in the books, and everything to do with the fact that I felt it was poorly written, too long, and included mocking of a disability by a character who was established as having compassion for "broken" things. Being established as disliking senseless violence in that very same scene, no less!

That isn't criticism. That's dialogue from the scene. It was a strange and unnecessary decision to include him mocking a disabled person, given that the show is produced in modern times and should be aware of that. Also, it's out of character for Tyrion to mock people that the world looks down on in a similar way to how it looks down on him. The same character who, in the show universe mind you, said ""I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things."" suddenly finds the only way he felt normal was to make fun of someone unfortunate? I thought the scene took too long to get to its point. A comparison I made after watching the scene was how Ros felt listening to Pycelle talk about kings. Even rewatching it now, it went on far too long. I could have done without the rude imitation of someone with a mental disability stretching on and on and I could have done without nearly 6 minutes of Dinklage's bad accent. My complaint about the scene has nothing to do with it not being in the books, and everything to do with the fact that I felt it was poorly written, too long, and included mocking of a disability by a character who was established as having compassion for "broken" things. Being established as disliking senseless violence in that very same scene, no less!

S1 e1 he sits there and rubs it in that Jon is Ned Stark's bastard. He repeats it a few times in fact. I don't think Tyrion's mocking of somebody has anything to do with a soft spot or not. Keep in mind, the conversation was between brothers. Think of how different you sound when talking to your family - son, wife, husband, etc vs. talking to a coworker.

The poster stated that the dialogue in that scene was poor. You then accused him of not liking it simply because it wasn't in the books. That's why I complained about your post.

I was really looking forward to season 5 but after the first episode aired I remember feeling let down and then thinking well at least I have the books to re-read.

To me season 5 feels really disconnected from the other seasons. I would agree this season definitely feels different then the last seasons and the feeling not good.

That being said I still plan on watching all of season 5.

S1 e1 he sits there and rubs it in that Jon is Ned Stark's bastard. He repeats it a few times in fact. I don't think Tyrion's mocking of somebody has anything to do with a soft spot or not. Keep in mind, the conversation was between brothers. Think of how different you sound when talking to your family - son, wife, husband, etc vs. talking to a coworker.

Jokes on you, I am equally as closed off with my family as I am with everyone else! Mwahahahahaah god im so alone

No but on a serious note, he rubbed it in that Jon is Ned Stark's bastard because it amuses him that Jon is so uptight about what he is, as if that will change it and how people view him. "Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

That's very different from "Lol laughing at his pain made me feel better about myself."

I guess we just disagree then because I didn't think the point of the scene was Tyrion making fun of the kid but instead him trying to figure out what made him tick. One of Tyrions greatest attributes is his ability to truly see a person for what they are, a great judge of character, and can figure out ones motivations. In this case I think he was truly stumped and was frustrated that he couldn't see the truth behind it - and that he possibly came to the conclusion that not everything happens for a reason and that human nature is sometimes a mystery. I thought it was beautifully written and it may have dragged a tad i felt it was important to see that little window into Tyrions mind. And without internal dialogue as a crutch to use I think they do an admirable job on the show for almost all the characters for things like this.

Archived