Penny Dreadful II: Take Me To Church

Theda Baratheon

Very enjoyable episode. As usual with this show it plays on traditional horror movie tropes, in this case the mob of angry villagers come to burn out the monster/witch. The acting was very fine with the exception of the hissing witches. It's also good to see that the West Country in ficitional Victorian England is pretty much identical to todays...yaaar.

What's so jarring is that Kali/Poole is so well acted and she really comes across as menacing, but her witch daughters are the complete opposite.

Overall, a very good episode. Penny Dreadful really knows how to do flashback episodes.

--Loved the Cut Wife and her mentor/mentee relationship with Vanessa. I like that it wasn't instant BFFship or that it wasn't often difficult and full of snark. Snarky relationships are always better than suddenly being the bestest of friends.

--I enjoy that Penny Dreadful continues to work within the horror tropes from the stories that it's borrowing from. The witches, the fog, the dead animals, the mobs, the eerie feeling of the Moors.

--"You think you are going to be a hero. You won't be. None of us are." Sums up a lot of the show.

--Even though it was brief, the Vanessa and Ethan opening scene was lovely (or maybe I have some shipper goggles on). But I like that Ethan is very concerned and honestly wants to know Vanessa's backstory and what's going on with her.

--Eva Green looked really great for most of this episode for some reason.

--Kali is terrifying. I can't wait to see the eventual showdown between her and Vanessa.

--The closing music!

Small dislike but yes the hissing was almost eye roll worthy.

I wonder if or when they'll have the hard discussion of whether to smother

Vanessa

or not.

I wonder, if

She herself will reach the despair event horizon before pulling back. She seemed to get over it last season.

Yeah, this was the best episode of the season so far. I wasn't really feeling the first two episodes and the eerie victorian set with hints of supernatural was starting to become True Blood camp fest. This episode definitely changed that with some real character development and moving back to eerie. Really enjoyed it.

What's so jarring is that Kali/Poole is so well acted and she really comes across as menacing, but her witch daughters are the complete opposite.

I guess there's a fine line between riffing of cliched tropes and depicting a cliched trope. In a show that gives even fairly minor characters a backstory and motivation the younger witches just seem to be there for eye candy. Something for Kali to plant the odd lesbian kiss on, background scenery. It doesn't help that the actors playing them have been told to ham it up. But no big deal, is a small gripe but jarring as the rest of the acting is consistently top notch.

That was fantastic. And somewhat disturbing at times. Cannot get enough of this beautiful show.

And :lol: at some of the little moments between Vanessa and the Cut-Wife.

"Too much salt."

*glares*

*tosses salt into pot*

Kali is marvellous. Terrifying, manipulative, seductive, cunning, ruthless...and all gloriously acted.

"You think you're going to be a hero. You're not. None of us are!"

The Cut-Witches' final scene(s) were phenomenal and heartbreaking.

Actually, she was just brilliant all around. Who was that actress?

Vanessa being branded :stillsick:

ETA:

Also want to say the music was especially great this week too.

And, does it seem likely to everyone else that she'll go back to the house now ?

Kali continues to rock every scene she's in.

I absolutely loved the old witch in a little house in the west country tbh.

All her little trinkets and them picking flowers and herbs in the woods was great.

What a cracking character. "My little scorpion" :(

Yeah, she'll go back, right? Because the McGuffin glyph book is still in the house, waiting to be used, isn't it? Unless I missed something that is. If I'm right, that book is going to supercharge Vanessa's witchiness and make her something else entirely.

This show is fucking great.

Archived